Looking for a smoker

hooker

Lil-Rokslider

Brendan

WKR
I don't know about the kamodo, but I know a few years ago they were much cheaper, I think Home Depot was selling them for like $500. In my opinion they weren't as well built as the BGE, but that was a while ago and things might have changed.

Pretty sure you're thinking of a different brand, not Kamado Joe (I know HD sells Vision and Akorn) I looked at pretty much every brand, looked hard at Eggs and the quality (and price) of all the higher end kamados, and the better ones are pretty much the same. I ended up picking the Big Joe over the BGE based on some of the accessories and layout, that was pretty much the only difference. KJ's customer service is stellar too...

Regardless of which brand you pick, one of the better designed Kamado grills is a great value. Everything from acting a high temp Pizza Oven all the way to 16 hour cooks low and slow on one load... With that said, the price can be hard to swallow for the expensive ones, but there are plenty of different brands. More reading here than we could do justice in one thread:

http://www.kamadoguru.com/

I'll second Brendan. I compared Kamado Joe to the BGE and actually thought the KJ was a better unit for the money...no insult to BGE which is a heck of a kamado in its own right and I would own one easily. I love knowing the ceramic kamado cookers have little or no sheet metal to go bad over the years. There is almost nothing to wear out and little to maintain. I have a friend who was going in circles on what smoker, and he ended up with a kamado...now he's basically a patio chef with his. They are probably the most versatile unit a guy can own, but the price is steep. Like so much good gear...buy once....

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
There are gasket kits for the WSM. Add a gasket to the top, replace the door with a stainless door and gasket that, and you're pretty air tight at that.

Kamado's are great and if I had extra coin laying around I might pick one up to go with my WSM.... But Ive taken my WSM to the beach a few times, taken it to friends houses.... I just lift the body, top, and base off and put them in the bed of my truck with some charcoal and everything.... I'd be a little more concerned about transporting the ceramic kamado style smokers. This was not something I considered before I bought a smoker, but after buying one and getting reasonably good at using it, you will be amazed how often your friends and family will ask you to bring it with you places....

Anyone who can lift his kamado unit into the truck is automatically a candidate to hunt moose with me.

colonel00

WKR
Here is another option for a guy on a budget... build a UDS

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/bps-drum-kit

YES!!!! Build a UDS...or two :D They are fun to build and work great on a cheap budget. I ran mine last Sunday at a buddy's for 13+ hours cooking food for a lunch he had to do at work. Once they are dialed in, they will run for hours and hours.

DSCN0816.jpg

Trial153

WKR
If I was looking for another electric smoker I would probably grab a SMOKE IT .

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
If I was looking for another electric smoker I would probably grab a SMOKE IT .

I've looked at those as well.
Finally narrowing it down to a few.
WSM and smoke it and pretty much at the top. Also traeger as well

Whisky

WKR
I've looked at those as well.
Finally narrowing it down to a few.
WSM and smoke it and pretty much at the top. Also traeger as well
Smoke It, if I'm looking at the right one only go to 250? Too low. More expensive ones hit 300 but still low for poultry.

Get a WSM and be done with it....tried and true. Lots of upgrades available also.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Smoke It, if I'm looking at the right one only go to 250? Too low. More expensive ones hit 300 but still low for poultry.

Get a WSM and be done with it....tried and true. Lots of upgrades available also.

Your probably right. I can get one local and seems to put up my ally with the budget. Also the gasket and door upgrade kit seems to be the best options. Any other upgrade suggestions?

Grumman

WKR
I'd recommend getting a Maverick wireless thermometer, dual probe one for the meat and other for the smoker temp. None of the built in dial thermometers are very reliable and I find my WSM thermometer to be +-75 degrees off at times. A Thermapen is also worth it's weight in gold to quickly and accurately check meat temps.

Brendan

WKR
Anyone who can lift his kamado unit into the truck is automatically a candidate to hunt moose with me.

I had to get my big joe up a flight of stairs onto my deck by myself... It wasn't pretty.

Good call on the UDS - I'm looking into building one for a family summer place...

Hey ppl! I'm looking for a propane smoker which is good at the same time not very bulky . Looking for some suggestions from all you guys out there. Thanks in advance !!

Hey guys! Thank you so much ! I finally bought the Char Broil Propane Smoker after reading reviews of all smokers on Smokerify. Do read their write ups. There are some really good blog posts and honest reviews of smokers.

wytx

WKR
Nothing looks better than a great stick burner. Love my new Yoder.

DSCN0883 (640x554).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0885.jpg
    DSCN0885.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 34