Who hunts with a dirt bike?

After hunting Idaho over the last couple of years, I realized just how much a dirt bike can come in handy in some areas. Last week I picked up a 2003 KX125, primarily for that purpose. I plan on using it to extend my reach a bit more, before I hike in the last couple miles. Anyone else using a dirt bike to get around, especially in Idaho? Right now I'm working out the details for carrying gear. I'm switching to a rifle with a folding stock, and it will go in my Mountain Rambler sleeve flush with the bottom. I figure my bow will be carried in a similar way, but in the load panel. For other cargo, I'm going to build a rack up front that will mount to the number plate bolt hole and maybe to the triple clamp. I'm working out the details for the back too. I fab for a living, so nothing is out of the question. Once I have a design I like, I'll probably build aluminum versions to cut weight and make it nicer. Any suggestions from your experience on hauling gear and packing out animals on a bike are appreciated! I figure there will be a learning curve for the first year, but I'm really looking forward to covering a lot more mountain scouting and hunting.

xziang

WKR
Congrats. I don't use one but a coworkers relative uses one of those rokon 2wheel drive moto's to get up into the woods. With the smaller bike and gear that you'll want to carry may want to look into stiffening up the suspension I would think.

You don't have a lot of CC's to play with but it'll be better than walking the fire roads/trails. I've considered a dual sport bike before and have considered the Honda CRF250L for it is fuel injected and legal on the streets.

Good luck and have fun, also unsure of the laws there but might need to make sure you have a spark arrestor on it too. (real muffler)

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
we used too a lot then they started shutting down areas so we have had to go without for several years. I would suggest riding as much as you can in the hills I know hauling out a bull in rocky terrain was quite the experience. good luck

Felix40

WKR

This is my commuter. I haven't really hunted off of it a ton because it's always too muddy where I live. I do carry a recurve or compound on it occasionally. The goal is to move west in the next year and hopfully spend some time on it in the mountains.

Rizzy

WKR
There is a lot of good area in Idaho that can only be accessed by foot, horse, or motorcycle. ATV and motorcycle's are not one in the same here, lots of trails allow 2 wheelers but not 4 wheelers. A lot of hunters use them and it's no secret. I have packed meat a couple miles down a motorcycle trail on foot wishing I had a trail 90 stashed in the bushes :)

tater

WKR
I would if some money was left over after paying these stupid bills. I'd sooner a dual purpose bike though to get up the dirt roads quick. Something like: https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2016-KLR650-Camo

I have a KLR650 with hard pelican cases on it that i use for rural commuting and hunting as well. It doesn't do anything great, but does everything well enough. Top heavy, water cooled, underpowered but ease of maintenance and access to consumables and parts makes it a joy. Great for logging roads, but it is definitely not a single track bike.

I had it out three weeks ago scouting for spring bears and dropped it into a clay section of thawing logging road over the axles. Took me 45 minutes to get the pig out. Bone stock it is not capable of hauling out meat (factory rack is only rated to 10lbs), but there is a lot that can be done to make it a capable back country rig.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
Pathfinder--

I raced 125 MXers competitively for a couple years and worked/wrenched at an MX shop for 3 years, so I know a bit about them.

While I can certainly see where a bike would be helpful if your GMU allows it, my concern RE your bike choice is one of real world practicality. My comments below are simply direct and blunt. Not meant to be mean spirited in any way.

Pipey/loud, low-torque, light flywheel, small cc two strokers would *Definitely* not be my first choice for trails where you will have sections you'll need to plonk along to get through and potentially steep, rocky/technical sections you'll need to climb through. Nor would I want one where I'd rather be at least a bit quiet and not piss off the game and other hunters. Two stroke MXers have no headlights, nor wiring for it. They are specifically designed for wide open race tracks and designed to run with the throttle at WFO "ie Wide F'n Open". They are not optimized at all to run at partial throttle and you cannot cheaply modify them to do so. The porting, flywheel and pipe tuning are completely wrong. With a 125 MXer, you are either On The Pipe, or not. If you're not it, then you might as well be peddling a tricycle. They have almost zero power/torque when not on the pipe. Their motors and gearing are not optimized to plonk along or navigate between trees/rocks, at slow speed/partial throttle because they have zero power then. Nor are they optimized for someone intending to add panniers/front racks, etc.

Yes, you could lower the final drive gear ratio by changing sprockets. It won't help much. With a 125 two stroker, you'll have to get the motor "on the pipe" to get horsepower and everything and everyone around will know it. And when an MXer is On The Pipe, the rear wheel will spin like hell and dig up the trail or road. Even if you only stay on gravel roads, pipey 125 MXers are rudely loud and low powered slugs when off the pipe. And what will you do for lights?

You may want to strongly reconsider, take your lumps, drop that bike to another buyer and get a 4 stroker with a much larger motor, a good muffler and a real headlight. Modern 4 stroker motors are pretty darned light, have heavier flywheels and far more forgiving in the types of scenarios you will encounter. They have more torque than a 2 stroker, a broader power band and they will let you more easily navigate 99% of what you'll run into. They also have a greater cruising range and they are quieter by far.

My 2 cents. Best of luck with your path.

JL

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
I use a trials bike where legal here in Idaho and only on single tracks so I don't have to worry about quads.Works great but I still enjoy hiking in to 80% of my other spots.

GotDraw?

WKR
I use a trials bike where legal here in Idaho and only on single tracks so I don't have to worry about quads.Works great but I still enjoy hiking in to 80% of my other spots.

TOTALLY Agree RE Trials Bike!
Perfect lightweight bike.
MXer is far from that though.

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
Just a note. I have done one before. We all had extended 10 day type packs on (granted it was before I knew how to get lighter) but riding a bike with 65 lbs moving around on your back is an entirely different deal! Especially in the mountains with roots and washes on every hill

gwl79902

WKR
we use mnt bikes to pack meat in road closure areas and have found we have to put 20 to 30 pounds on the front to hold it down when packing heavy weights. I know a dirt bike and a mnt bike is different but they are the same too. We use panniers on the back and can pack half a boned out elk on each bike. You have to walk the hills but it works. I ride dual sports and pack my camp on it. I have not tried meat but it would work fine. Take a look at dirt bagz. You could make something similar that would work fine., just make sure the bags can not get into the wheel . You can fine saddle bags or pannier bags on ebay cheap.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my boss have been using Rokons for the last two years in Idaho, seems like every new spot we want to try has a motorcycle only trail. The rokons are awesome for this purpose. I would say their only downfall is they have zero suspension and after some time on a rocky trail you it starts to beat you up. You also tend to use your legs alot when its slow going trying to stabilize the bike. But man, in low gear those things will climb almost anything provided you can hold on!

WKR
I'm wondering if the yamaha tw200 wouldn't be a compromise between the rokon and a mx or dual sport bike for hunting? I know nothing about bikes though but the ease of transport and functionality has me interested.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked this up. Very stable bike to putt around on. Great trails bike. Have added a Cycle Rack and hand guards since this pic.

IMG_2810-L.jpg

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm wondering if the yamaha tw200 wouldn't be a compromise between the rokon and a mx or dual sport bike for hunting? I know nothing about bikes though but the ease of transport and functionality has me interested.

They would be a great choice

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been using a ttr250 for over a decade it does very well.....as noted above packing something heavy on a tight off camber rooty trail then factor in rain is an experience, Rush and clencher all in one...be careful as every year I hear of bad accidents by someone with limited trail riding experience.

IdahoElk

WKR
Been using a ttr250 for over a decade it does very well.....as noted above packing something heavy on a tight off camber rooty trail then factor in rain is an experience, Rush and clencher all in one...be careful as every year I hear of bad accidents by someone with limited trail riding experience.

That's a good point,I ride the same trails all summer in full gear and still manage to get hurt,definitely need to be careful and be prepared to walk some stretches.

@gotdraw
I don't think you have very much experience riding a 2 stroke in the backcountry. You call them a MXer when there is not even a AMA race in the world today that uses 2 strokes. Not only that but I have rode 2 strokes "125-250's" for several years in enduro, and I must say that they are the most capable machines out there period. It's the rider that makes the difference. I think in the backcountry I would trust a 2 stroke engine over a 4 any day of the week in terms of reliability. There are far more powerful "30% more power to weight ratio" and have excellent torque in the low range. I think from a hunting standpoint the 125 is a excellent choice, although you may run into some trial and error when trying to strap on a full animal on that small of a chassis. Good luck and practice up

I also want to add that KTM, HUSABERG, BETA, GASGAS, HUSQVARNA, all build 2 strokes specialized for off road in the hardest terrain possible. All with a proper headlight as well 😁