Greenbelly Meals

mrgreen

WKR
Unfortunately I haven't tried Greenbelly Meals, I just wanted to thank you. I didn't know backpacking.net was still around. I've been a member forever. My login info still works!

kicker338

WKR
the meals may be ok but they sure need to chg. the name. Greenbelly sounds like the color of the puke that comes out of my guts when I puke.

idcuda

WKR
Heard about them on a podcast (Eastman's, I think) and they sounded great. Then I looked them up. 30-40+ grams of sugar per bar, no thanks.

I'm no expert on tapioca syrup, their main ingredient, but I think there are better things to eat.

mvmnts

WKR
attachment.php

I took a few bars into deep into the Wind River Range last year and they were excellent. I'm not sure what the previous poster's issue with sugar is, but for intense backpacking trips, easily digestible carbs like sugar is exactly what you need. They also claim a good balance of all the other macros and I had no issues. What sets these apart for me is the texture and mouthfeel. They are not dense like clif or pro bars. They have a consistency like rice krispy treats which I really enjoyed. Portion sizing is also great and it worked well as a meal replacement both in total calories, but also mentally it satisfied like a meal a little more than other bars have. They are my favorite bar for sure and I recommend you try them. Obviously you should try one at home before you rely on them in the field just to be sure. I try ALL my food before I take it into the field.

For big mile days, I no-cook breakfast (shake, soaked oatmeal, pb and english muffin, etc), and a meal bar for lunch, and have a hot meal for dinner. This keeps me efficienct but also sane with one hot meal a day.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking forward to trying these out this fall. I'm thinking of rationing out one bar for a morning snack ( to replace a protein bar) and one bar for an afternoon snack (to replace bagel and pb).

idcuda

WKR
attachment.php

I'm not sure what the previous poster's issue with sugar is, but for intense backpacking trips, easily digestible carbs like sugar is exactly what you need.

That's another topic for another thread. Just wanted to point out a negative that some folks might be interested in.