Kodiak Canvas upgrades

92xj

WKR
***UPDATE...First, screw you photo bucket, second, I added some pictures later in the thread that aren't hosted by photo bucket. I didn't want to lose all my wording or start a new thread***

Didn't want to jack the other guys thread.
10x14 flex bow deluxe
Three dog stove by fourdog stoves
Woodstove hearth for the stove to sit on by snowtrekker tents
Heat shield with velcro stitched on by snowtrekker tents
Stove jack and cover flap by Yakima tent and awning
Heavy duty tent stakes by Monk Industries
Solar inflatable lanterns by luminAID
Adjustable brush pole to hold up awning by Lowes
Metal tray hearth and stove sit in is an oil drip catch pan by Oreillys Auto
Outside stove support by myself

I wanted a canvas tent for all my camping needs, from hunting in the fall and winter to spring and summer family trips. I am always prepared to do any of my outings alone and go solo so I wanted something that I could put up as quickly as possible by myself. This is the reason I went with the Kodiak Canvas. It's a five minute process that is stupid easy to set up.

I knew I wanted a wood stove at some point and researched as much as possible and concluded the fourdog's are about the best that you can get for the price range so I ordered one up. Then the fun part of setting the tent up in the yard, marking the exhaust by drawing a circle and then driving to Yakima Tent and Awning and explaining exactly what I wanted. They nailed it with exactly what I wanted, high quality work and great customer service.

I thought with the slanted walls that the wall would get too close for comfort to the stove pipe before exiting the tent. I called snowtrekker and asked what they thought and they recommended the heat shield and said he could sew in velcro that I could then glue on the other side of the velcro with Bish's tear mender. That stuff is amazing. I installed the heat shield and fired up the stove, The shield never got hot at all and I would feel safe without it, but I like the insurance.

The following pictures show everything how I have it set up for family camping. Two adults with 4 dogs all over 70 pounds. We all fit great in the tent. We have a double stack queen air mattress for us and 3 large dog beds for the dogs. The last dog sleeps on the carpet we have for when we walk into the tent.

Hopefully these pictures explain everything I have listed above and answer some questions a lot of people have been asking me. Please continue to ask any questions you'd like and I will answer them the best I can.

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/92...s/IMG_20150328_090332498_zps994d3af3.jpg.html

Last edited:
OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
IMG_20150328_090332498_zps994d3af3.jpg
[/URL]

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Now that it's all done and I've used it a bunch, the heat shield below the stove jack is not needed. Never gets anywhere close to being hot there.

Grumman

WKR
Nice job, that thing looks like a mansion! I'm pretty sure my dog would turn the table over getting at those tennis balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Any thoughts on just using tear menders to install a stove jack? I have one with a 8-12" canvas border on the outside and I have the same tent setup and am thinking of tackling the project next week. I don't have a way to sew it in, so would need to find someone.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Any thoughts on just using tear menders to install a stove jack? I have one with a 8-12" canvas border on the outside and I have the same tent setup and am thinking of tackling the project next week. I don't have a way to sew it in, so would need to find someone.

The tear mender seems to hold great and I know people that have used it in the past but don't know how it's held up over time. I'm glad I have mine sewn because I have zero worry when setting up and the walls pull tight, or, when I unvelcro the flap on the outside and just pull it up real hard, I don't fear the seam coming apart. I'm thinking I was around the 40 dollar mark for labor of installing the stove jack, so at that low of cost I would see if you can find someone to install it. I would think in the NE there would be a few canvas tent places that would have experience doing that, but not sure. I also know a guy that installed one himself using a hand awl speeder stitcher and had great success, could also be an alternative to the tear mender for you.

twall13

WKR
This thread has me thinking about a potential mod to my Kodiak tent. Great work!

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Nice job, that thing looks like a mansion! I'm pretty sure my dog would turn the table over getting at those tennis balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! My lab tried once but has left them alone since. Normally that table sits inside with me as a night stand and I use the tennis balls to protect the floor.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I installed a stove jack last year with tear mender. Seems to be holding up well. I have been running a Nu-Way propane vented stove when wood is an issue or just plain lazy. Great little stove, just put a 20 Lb cylinder outside and run hose through zipper corner.

Great option when fire danger also.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I run a big buddy heater with the long hose that adapts to 20lb bottle for my lazy days and that thing on the lowest setting is plenty warm. I've never seen the nu-way stoves, do you have a picture of it set up in the tent? Exhaust pipe like a wood stove for the venting the website says it needs? Any benefit over the buddy heaters?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I run a big buddy heater with the long hose that adapts to 20lb bottle for my lazy days and that thing on the lowest setting is plenty warm. I've never seen the nu-way stoves, do you have a picture of it set up in the tent? Exhaust pipe like a wood stove for the venting the website says it needs? Any benefit over the buddy heaters?
I have not taken any pictures yet. I used my ti woodstove vent pipe on the nu-way but I am going to try the aluminum flex pipe next. I just don't feel comfortable with a non-vented stove of any kind myself. Especially if you are going to sleep with it on. We set on low on a late season elk hunt and ran all night. These are on ebay also most of the time.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I enjoy them a lot. They work great as a nice mellow light for camp. Hold up to the weather and they always seem to stay charged or get charged without much effort. They are awesome in the boat as well. I got these two as a gift, but if I didn't, id have no issue spending the 20 bucks on them.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
updated the hosting for pictures... Here are a few. Let me know if you have any questions.
37321268151_941ca74cbf_b.jpg

23469829158_3da865fcc8_b.jpg

37321273371_4dc036229a_b.jpg

37321280571_d56598c9c9_c.jpg

ChrisS

WKR
I was just looking at this post yesterday trying to figure out if I wanted a Kodiak Canvas for a base camp tent and wished the pictures were still there.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I have really enjoyed the tent. For a hunting base camp for two guys, gear and stove, it is perfect. Plenty of room for 2 full size cots and still standing room and hanging room for clothing to dry. In the last picture I posted, I am taking the picture on a double high Queen air mattress, plus the 3 dog beds. We have 4 dogs, all over 75 pounds plus a baby now. When baby goes, the stove is not needed and is replaced with a pack n play. We all fit great. One of the greatest advantages is that it's stupid easy to set up by yourself. So easy that I decline help when I do it because others helping slow down the process. In 10 minutes it's up and set. Also, it packs down to nothing, for a canvas tent. Any vehicle out there could easily handle it. All in all, there isn't much I would change and would not recommend anything different for a base camp for 2 hunters or a family camp. More than 2 hunters and gear and a family of 5 or more and I would be looking at something different.

parshal

WKR

Great, now I've got another shelter I want!!!

Not to hijack the thread but I've got a Big Buddy and nuway stove. I've had both for a number of years. The nuway can't keep up in my 12-man tipi in the teens so I have to use a wood stove in those temps. The buddy heater will warm your clothes when you put them on but that's about it. It works fine in smaller shelters.

I just got the nuway all set up to use in the new Redcliff. I ended up using Kni-Co's 4-3" nesting stove pipe with a 4-3" adapter. This keeps the pipe at 3" at the stove jack so no cutting is necessary. The adapter will pop off the stove easily in the wind so I drilled a hole on each side of the lip on the stove with the adapter and use a turkey lacer to hold it in place. I had the tent set up in 30 mph winds on Friday and the stove pipe stayed in place. I also added a quick disconnect to stove and used an Acme nut hose so the whole thing goes together incredibly fast.

I'm using the same stove pipe setup with a Cylinder Stove Scout for extremely cold temps.

I've got a 10x10, and I REALLY wish I would have gotten a 10x14. I've thought about trying to put a stove jack in mine, but I don't know of anyone who could sew it in, and I don't know that I'd want to trust the mend-tearer glue stuff to hold on a flexbow type tent. I'd like to be able to put a little stove in mine(not a ton of room for a stove with much size), but the Buddy Heater is working fine for now I suppose.

amp713

WKR
I want a Kodiak already but this post makes me want it that much more. Stove was my biggest hold up with the Kodiak but very little work and the stove jack is ready to go.....

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
How well does the tent handle heavy rain? Does the water "pool" up on the roof and or awning? I have only stepped inside one step up in a Sportsman's Warehouse. Liked the room and doors just wasn't sure on rain runoff. Any info would be great!