Kodiak Canvas upgrades

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I have been in two extended rain storms (though I am sure nothing like AK gets).
There is zero pooling on the roof, it has a nice curve the full length and no area at all for water to stand and pool.
The awning would pool if I didn't have the extending painters pole that I use to push the awning up as close to where it meets the tent as possible. Its the red and white pole on the right side of the table in the first picture. That poles serves two purposes, one to give plenty of head room walking under the awning and the second to shed the water. It does a great job of both. When it is pouring down the water will pool where the awning meets the tent body but the pool never gets bigger than a cup or two of water before running off. Not an issue at all for me.
One storm consisted of 30 hours of straight rain around mid 30s that eventually turned to a wet heavy 5" snow. The tent held up great and stayed nice and dry on the inside.
The second was an 18 downpour around 40 degrees, inches and inches of rain. The runoff from where the awning meets the tent body was a waterfall, no water made it into the tent, though that waterfall did make it a little tricky getting in and out of the tent during the rain.
The next time I am in a storm like that I will drop my extension pole and kick the bottom of the awning support poles out a little lowering the front of the awning to around 4 feet off the ground or so. That will create a nice slide for the rain water to run down to the front edge of the awning and not off each side.
As far as the floor goes, you could set the tent up in a muddy bog and not water will permeate the floor. Super thick and durable and I have not issues or concerns with it at all.

How well does the tent handle heavy rain? Does the water "pool" up on the roof and or awning? I have only stepped inside one step up in a Sportsman's Warehouse. Liked the room and doors just wasn't sure on rain runoff. Any info would be great!

Without that pole setup that 92xj has, it does pool where the awning meets the roof. If I know it's going to be really rainy, I pitch the awning poles at an angle so that the awning slopes from the roof forward and it's a non-issue. I do like that extra pole though...might have to look into that.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep you guys can blame me for resurrecting this post I hit him up to repost photos cause my hunting buddy and myself both have the 10x10s and where talking about stove jacks for them. The add on package for the front awning is legit for sure. It gives you a nice area to keep the wind and rain out to hang out in or to store gear outside the tent where it stays dry. I love the Kodiak system. One of my all time favorite setups for car or base camping. This thing is like a home away from home. It keeps the hot air inside very nicely too.

been through straight downpours in the Kodiak and it came out with flying colors. Not a drop of water got in. Its a stellar setup.

elkduds

WKR
I transitioned from wall tent to Kodiak this year, mostly for portability/ease of assembly. Watching this thread w interest. I am considering a more enclosed vestibule (DIY) than the factory one. Anyone made one themselves?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Great, now I've got another shelter I want!!!

Not to hijack the thread but I've got a Big Buddy and nuway stove. I've had both for a number of years. The nuway can't keep up in my 12-man tipi in the teens so I have to use a wood stove in those temps. The buddy heater will warm your clothes when you put them on but that's about it. It works fine in smaller shelters.

I just got the nuway all set up to use in the new Redcliff. I ended up using Kni-Co's 4-3" nesting stove pipe with a 4-3" adapter. This keeps the pipe at 3" at the stove jack so no cutting is necessary. The adapter will pop off the stove easily in the wind so I drilled a hole on each side of the lip on the stove with the adapter and use a turkey lacer to hold it in place. I had the tent set up in 30 mph winds on Friday and the stove pipe stayed in place. I also added a quick disconnect to stove and used an Acme nut hose so the whole thing goes together incredibly fast.

I'm using the same stove pipe setup with a Cylinder Stove Scout for extremely cold temps.

I am using the larger dual burner Ny-way and installed the damper very high to "dam up" the heat in the pipe. Seems to keep up.

parshal

WKR
I am using the larger dual burner Ny-way and installed the damper very high to "dam up" the heat in the pipe. Seems to keep up.

Yeah, I've got the same setup. Maybe it was just way colder outside the time I was using it in the 12 man?

danarnold

WKR
anyone have a discount code for a 10x10 deluxe or 10x14 super deluxe? competitive edge has a 25$ discount and free tarp deal, but last year there was 100$ code available

And another FYI...I can't see where the Deluxe models would be worth the extra money over the Basics. I've been in some hot weather in my Basic, and those two windows do an awesome job of keeping it nice inside. I just don't see any kind of a need for the deluxe, personally.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
For only $70 bucks, it was worth the deluxe model for me.
Having 2 full size screened windows is great, plus the added roof/ceiling vents at the very top of the both end walls was well worth it for me.
Those help ease the mind when running the buddy heater. Plus add a nice air release when it warms up.
Then, the addition of the gear loft and hanging organizer. A place where I lay out all my clothes to air out and dry when the stove is cranking.
And, after having and using the strap and cinch storage bag, no way would I go another route.
All the additional items that come with the deluxe model seem worth well over the $70 charge.