Kuiu Super Down Pants for Treestand Hunting?

TheJuice

WKR
Anyone got any experience treestand hunting in the 10*-30* range with Kuiu Super Down pants?
They've got most sizes on sale for $149.
Trying to find some lighter clothes that I can layer up rather than using using my Cabelas Standhunter Extreme. Those dang bibs alone weight around 6 lbs!

I've never hunted in a tree stand in my life, but the super down pants are not very warm and are insanely loud. I had a pair for a very short time but IMO There are better options for cheaper out there.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
Thanks tips.
I only tree stand hunt when I'm here in Iowa. Late bow season can get cold.
What are some of the options you are thinking of?

bates

WKR
i wouldn't want to bow hunt in the superdown.

i have those same standhunter extreme bibs and love them for cold stand hunting, i only needed the jacket up in Sask, but have worn the bibs on many hunts. they are heavy but once you are in the tree they are so warm and quiet.

maybe something like the Kenai under the guide pants if you wanted to try Kuiu, but i would be looking at the Sitka Whitetail line myself those fanatic and fanatic lite bibs look nice

I use then in arkansas underneath the outer layer. I would highly recommend for treestand hunting. If in a ground blind just put them on the outside layer.

Thanks tips.
I only tree stand hunt when I'm here in Iowa. Late bow season can get cold.
What are some of the options you are thinking of?

i did not see they were on sale for 149, so cheaper may no longer apply but below are a couple options I personally like more. with that said i don't know if i would choose to wear any of these as my sole insulation for temps below 10-20 degrees, especially stationary, but I am from California so take that for what its worth.

The atom LT's are the most comfortable, but the bauers are also very comfortable and a touch warmer to me than the Arcyteryx. The Eddies do not compress well. The Patagonia's are my least favorite and are the thinnest. i do not like down unless its in a sleeping, everytime ive used a set of down pants for glassing it compresses and my ass get cold. i would imagine the same could happen sitting in a tree stand. All 3 below are more robust then the super down as well. when i had them i was terrified that they would shred at any moment.

Arc'teryx Atom LT Insulated Pant - Men's | Backcountry.com

These go on sale all the time. i grabbed a pair for 115 a couple of months ago.

Patagonia Men's Nano Puff(R) Pants for Fly Fishing

These were given to me through my work, and i really like them, especially the included belt.

Men's Igniter Pants | Eddie Bauer

I used them last year this way. They certainly help but down to 10 degrees would be a stretch IMO. I used them mostly under my sitka pants down to around 20 degrees. The material they are made of is fragile so I only wore them under another outer layer. The other item you want to consider is, am I going to break a sweat walking in with these on hike to my stand?

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
i did not see they were on sale for 149, so cheaper may no longer apply but below are a couple options I personally like more. with that said i don't know if i would choose to wear any of these as my sole insulation for temps below 10-20 degrees, especially stationary, but I am from California so take that for what its worth.

The atom LT's are the most comfortable, but the bauers are also very comfortable and a touch warmer to me than the Arcyteryx. The Eddies do not compress well. The Patagonia's are my least favorite and are the thinnest. i do not like down unless its in a sleeping, everytime ive used a set of down pants for glassing it compresses and my ass get cold. i would imagine the same could happen sitting in a tree stand. All 3 below are more robust then the super down as well. when i had them i was terrified that they would shred at any moment.

Arc'teryx Atom LT Insulated Pant - Men's | Backcountry.com

These go on sale all the time. i grabbed a pair for 115 a couple of months ago.

Patagonia Men's Nano Puff(R) Pants for Fly Fishing

These were given to me through my work, and i really like them, especially the included belt.

Men's Igniter Pants | Eddie Bauer

Thanks, I like the Arc'teryx for the ability to zip the legs as I usually carry my heavy insulatied clothes/layers in and get dressed closer to or in the stand. I'm looking to layer these with a heavy wool base layer with as quiet of a windproof shell as I can find. The Stand Hunter Extreme stuff I have is warm enough for almost anything, but very heavy, bulky, and collect every burr in the woods.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
I used them last year this way. They certainly help but down to 10 degrees would be a stretch IMO. I used them mostly under my sitka pants down to around 20 degrees. The material they are made of is fragile so I only wore them under another outer layer. The other item you want to consider is, am I going to break a sweat walking in with these on hike to my stand?

Thanks darcytribe, I seem to be hearing about the fragile nature of the Kuiu pants more often than not. I would be using them a mid layer option with a heavy base layer and a windproof/resistance shell. On days cold enough to need really warm clothes, I typically carry most of it in. Depending on distance and type of cover I have to walk through. I hate sitting on stand picking burrs for 30 minutes!

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a pair of the Kenai pants for the exact same use. If they are as quiet as the jacket is I will be happy. BYW they are in the outlet for $99.

hairball

FNG
If you are looking for a really, really good mid layer insulation look at GEN III Level 7 pants on EBAY. They are military pants made by many vendors and even sold by some of the highest quality outdoor gear companies. They are excellent treestand layering pants--they are not walking around pants. I have Kuiu, Sitka, and Firstlite for "out west" and down garments, probably your same Cabelas heavy bibs, and a heater body suit for treestand hunting here in Wisconsin.