Daypack goodies

Retterath

WKR
When you guys are hunting out of a basecamp and heading out for the day are you guys taking a water purifier with you or just aqua mira drops, how much water do u take for all day. Are you guys also taking a jetboil with to make some mountain house or you guys just having a good breakfast at camp and eating high protein/carb snacks through out the day and then having a good supper when you get back to basecamp? Thanks guys.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
These are my preferences and by no means do I feel 1 way is better then the other, I like to spend my time scouting and less time replenishing resources while I'm hunting so I always carry at least 2 liters with me. Always take my purifier in case I'm out longer don't take stove and eat high calorie protein stuff. Cooking while your out looking for a shot doesn't seem productive to me. My day hunt gear list for the day:
Kill kit
Water
Purifier
First aid kit
Bow tool (leather man with bits)
Spare release
Wind checker
Lunch with extra food(just in case)
Binos
Rangefinder
Tripod
Bino tripod adapter
Rain coat
Puffy coat
Knife
Hat
Gloves
Face cover
Balvanca
Chapstick
Seat pad
Small bivy tarp (ultralight)
Possibles pouch
Fire starter kit
TP and wet wipes
Calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I day hunt, I bring breakfast and lunch with me. I have a hard time eating at 4 AM. I also bring a couple of extra bars just in case we put anything down. When I am day hunting I do not bring a stove, too much weight. For breakfast I carry two boiled eggs, an oatmeal bar, and a breakfast biscuit. I drink a whole Gatorade when I do that as well. For lunch I usually do jerky, some sort of dried fruit, my own trail mix, and a candy bar. By this time I am done with an additional 32 ounces of water. I carry another 32 ounces for the rest of the day. I do pack some sort of water filter just in case. Tablets or drops would work just fine. When I get back to camp I have a dinner planned out, like burgers or hot dogs. Something along those lines. I like having a warm meal for dinner whenever I am hunting, either day or backpack hunting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even when not hunting I don't usually eat until 9 ish am. For snacks I like jerky, cereal bars, turkey and cheese bagel sandwich. Chocolate peanut butter protien bars.
For water I bring 1 liter and my sawyer mini, but also down a liter before heading out. I always prepare for an overnight just in case thats why i bring the filter.
I never brought my stove but will this November for heat since fires are not permitted. Overall I take everything except the sleep and cook system, and I take the tent rain fly for emergency shelter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

While I have a Sawyer Mini filter on my hydro bladder, usually I roll with only a simple Safewater or Bota filter bottle and a ziploc full of single serve snacks for lunch.
I tank up when I come across water and carry the filter bottle full.
Hunt'nFish

For breakfast it really depends on my mood. Some days I'll eat breakfast early, other days it won't be at all. I've found that I can't eat too much in one sitting and be very productive in the high country. I'll "graze" on snacks throughout the day until I get back for dinner. Even then I'll only eat half a MH meal. (Allows me to take less food, so my pack is lighter)

For gear I'll always have my woobie and bivy, poncho, rain jacket, light and mid layer top, water purifier, fire starter, 2 X nalgenes and a mug. I'll also take a beanie and an extra pair of gloves. My headlamp is also taken. If I'm hunting I'll throw my kill kit, binos and tripod in.

I'm assuming base camp is the same as car camp. If base camp is from a hike in or a drop camp then I'd have a much different answer.

I fill my 3 liter bladder each morning and a .75 liter nalgene. The extra water sure is nice when an animal is down.

Breakfast in camp, typically cereal, a breakfast burrito or breakfast cookie/bar.

In my pack goes some combination of pb&j, apple, protein bars, gorp, jerky, snack sticks and those little fruit snacks.

For dinner I like to keep it simple. Soft tacos, Burritos and fajitas. All of this and the breakfast burritos I cook at home, wrap in tin foil and vacuum seal. Super easy to reheat on a stove, barbecue or on the fire. I also bring double batches of homemade chile and soup. Again super simple. Dump a mason jars worth in a pot and set on camp fire. And very few, if any, dishes and virtually no cleanup!

Really the only cooking I do is jalapeño poppers with the day's harvest of grouse. This goes against my system of simple, easy and fast as poppers are anything but that, but yea, I ain't showing up at hunting camp without at least two dozen jalapeño's :)!!!

rayporter

WKR
i dont car camp so i am usually in a few miles. it is a constant battle to try to lighten the load,

anyore i dont carry a filter, just tabs.

a hot lunch and or hot drinks will always be on the menu, but no jet boil will ever be packed for a day trip.

with fuel tabs i have cooked on this for 25 years. mac and cheese, ramen, soup, coffee [everyday]

dotman

WKR
i dont car camp so i am usually in a few miles. it is a constant battle to try to lighten the load,

anyore i dont carry a filter, just tabs.

a hot lunch and or hot drinks will always be on the menu, but no jet boil will ever be packed for a day trip.

with fuel tabs i have cooked on this for 25 years. mac and cheese, ramen, soup, coffee [everyday]

You should checkout the sawyer mini, weighs nothing and no waiting.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
When I have a base camp I usually do oatmeal and coffee before I leave camp and then bars and maybe a sandwich. I always have my Sawyer in my pack for fill ups on the mountain and never leave camp without a diet coke for a mid day caffeine pick me up.