Benchmade Knives- Hidden Canyon Hunter Review, by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

For those of us who still like the heft and durability of a "real" knife in our hands, Brock Akers tested the Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter on a recent Alaskan bear hunt. This knife features S30V steel for sharpness and durability. See if you need one of these little gems in your pack:

Benchmade Knives: The Hidden Canyon Hunter

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought one last year. I've only cleaned one whitetail buck with it, but it seems like a good knife. I think the blade is gonna be shorter than I like for skinning, though. Now, I'm looking at getting the Saddle Mountain Hunter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's a good looking knife.......I like full size fixed blade knives. But that handle looks like it would be mighty slick when covered in blood. I'm going to have to check them out. My favorite fixed is 8" with a 4" S30V blade. That S30V is great steel.......could still slice paper after completely breaking down a bull.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good looking knife.......I like full size fixed blade knives. But that handle looks like it would be mighty slick when covered in blood.

good point. Brock, was that a problem? I've had a few knives over the years that were terrible in this department.

It looks like a nice knife. Yet why would you go for this over the Bushcrafter 162? It is the same steel, longer blade and beefer handle. Plus side is you have one great all around knife.

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
I also prefer to have a fixed blade, and last year I opted for Benchmade's Bushcrafter. Broke down two whitetails last fall, and still doesn't need sharpened. I strope mine after every use and it's still scalpel sharp.

Also, it isn't the same handle as the Hidden Canyon, but the Bushcrafter I have feels absolutely locked into my hand, even when covered in blood. Never felt like I was about to lose grip the entire time.

N2TRKYS

WKR
That's a good looking knife.......I like full size fixed blade knives. But that handle looks like it would be mighty slick when covered in blood. I'm going to have to check them out. My favorite fixed is 8" with a 4" S30V blade. That S30V is great steel.......could still slice paper after completely breaking down a bull.

I clean my deer with nitrile gloves and my Hidden Canyon Hunter didn't seem slick at all.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
5mile,

No issues with a slippery handle. The knife fits in your hand well, not alot of room to slide around. If that makes sense

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a Benchmade Steep Country I bought because it was a raffle ticket for a Kimber and I've wanted a Benchmade for awhile. Shot a bear this spring and used that knife. I've typically used a havalon of some sort or outdoor edge razor for the past 6 years. Knife worked great and with the rubbery handle and metal studs on the back there is no way that knife was going to slip. I also like the kydex sheath compared to leather just personal preferance though. Knife is still sharp and ready to go. Like Brock I don't think it's a knife I will pack all the time or overnight but for some uses I think it's great.

gmajor

WKR
It's a sweet little knife isn't it? Speaking of benchmade hunt series, I've really been liking the small summit lake folder as well.

ktowncamo

WKR
It looks like a nice knife. Yet why would you go for this over the Bushcrafter 162? It is the same steel, longer blade and beefer handle. Plus side is you have one great all around knife.

As a Benchmade dealer I've had the chance to look at and use a lot of knives. The Bushcrafter for sure is a sweet knife, but I think for myself and perhaps Brock in this case that taking a smaller knife like the Hidden Canyon is both a weight savings and for me is easier to feel like an instrument in my hands when I'm taking care of an animal in that I can manipulate it easier. Not sure if that makes any sense, but trying to verbalize why I personally prefer the Hidden Canyon over the Buschcrafter, that's the best I can do. The Bushcrafter is one of those knives that the moment you hold it you're like "oh yea baby, THIS is a KNIFE!".

It's a sweet little knife isn't it? Speaking of benchmade hunt series, I've really been liking the small summit lake folder as well.

No doubt eh? It's a great little knife for sure.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a great knife. I used the saddle mountain skinner last season and liked it.

I bought the diamond wood version and ordered the kydex sheath separately from benchmade for $20.

The knife it lightweight with a nice long cutting edge and gives me the security of a fixed blade, and the longevity of quality steel. Very happy with this line of hunting knives from benchmade.

I also carry a havalon as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I bought the bench made steep country with S 30 V steel and an orange handle earlier in the year it worked great on my elk trip did a whole elk without touch up. My buddy with all of his broken havalon blades will be getting one.

I also have the Buck Alpha in S 30 V steel that's a great blade (a folder) but it's a bear to clean

ktowncamo

WKR
I bought the bench made steep country with S 30 V steel and an orange handle earlier in the year it worked great on my elk trip did a whole elk without touch up. My buddy with all of his broken havalon blades will be getting one.

I had the same experience. Did an entire cow elk with my Steep Country S30V and my buddy who was helping me is a straight up Havalon (because of the weight) guy and he stepped back and said "Wow, that knife was awesome" once the work was done. I think he's gonna buy one too!

Beendare

WKR
I had the same experience. Did an entire cow elk with my Steep Country S30V and my buddy who was helping me is a straight up Havalon (because of the weight) guy and he stepped back and said "Wow, that knife was awesome" once the work was done. I think he's gonna buy one too!
Hey different strokes for different folks....but I think the bloom is off that Havalon rose.

Especially when there are knives mae from qulity steel that hold an edge like these S30v steel blades. Of course there are other steels that compare.

i chose the steep country over the highlighted model for- #1 its blade, and #2 its light....the orange silicon handle is a plus, visible and has a good grip.

Agustus

FNG
I used the saddle mountain skinner last year but always liked the size and weight (or lack of it) of the hudden canyon skinner. I have used the litttle brother 2 times this season on deer. I really like it for what it is. Small, lightweight and still the strength with great steel.

I'd highly recommend this little gem. I wear xxl gloves and it's still not too small in hand. Don't think it does the work that the saddle mountain can do but I like it more if that makes any sense. I guess it's just it's size.

I've gone away from the havalon almost completely.

Just my $ 0.02

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've gone away from the havalon almost completely.

I've been carrying a 4" fixed blade Gerber Gator with Bell & Carlson handle and S30V steel for about 5 years now. It has completely broken down an entire bull and still sliced paper afterwards, and then used to completely break down another elk after that without even a touch-up. I decided to take my sharpener out of my pack and replace it with a Havalon. So this year I used both. Even with the broken blades I really liked the Havalon as well. So I will continue to use both depending on what I'm doing with them. I found the knife much better for getting the backstraps off the bone as that's where I broke the most blades on the Havalon with the side pressure on the curved surfaces. I try to keep my knife as the "clean" blade for cutting meat that goes directly into the bag.

ofl0926

WKR
I've been thinking of getting this knife or the saddle mountain skinner. Great review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk