Ironmind by Joel Turner

IdahoElk

WKR
I went to his all day course with about 5 other people(equally mixed trad and compound shooters) and thought it was great.
The first half was spent nicely tearing everyone's shooting apart because we all suffered from one form or another of bad shooting habits.Joel patiently worked individually with each of us giving pointers on how to use his shooting method and "reprogram" our brains to accept it.
While Joel worked individually with each of us the rest of the group was hovering around listening and adding an element of distraction to help recreate the pressure when one is in range of an Elk,this proved to be humorous and also challenging for some of us.

After lunch we took what we learned shooting inside and went out on a 3D course in a heavy snowstorm to reinforce the new shooting method we had practiced earlier.The last part of his course was about Elk hunting and calling.

Having a world champion Elk caller in your presence with a few of your friends was a real treat!
We went over common scenarios encountered while hunting and how to optimize your chances for success with Joel demonstrating what calls to use and how to produce them,the guy is an amazing caller!
Joel is a master at calling, shooting and teaching,he was a very personable and likable guy that made the day enjoyable.

The only negative thing I can say is that it would have been better as a two day course because of the amount of information presented I found myself being overloaded,by the end of 8 hours I was mentally drained and found it hard to process everything that was presented.
The next day left me with a ton of questions but Joel was gone,Ha!
Joel did mention numerous times during the day that if we needed help after the seminar he was just a phone call or Email away.
If you have the chance,go!

Last edited:

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I've done his class too, well worth it. He's a standup guy and he helped me out a lot. Freaking unbelievable elk caller as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patch

FNG
I am getting ready to purchase this class. Joel has renamed his program Shot IQ. I have applied to compete in the Far West Valor games to be held at Coast Guard Island in Oakland Ca. 100 DAV's will be competing in various sporting events, I have signed up for 4 events with archery being one of them. I hope to use this course to help me focus and refine my shooting technique. Please feel free to ask questions of things you would like me to report back on as I am taking this course. Joel said I should contact him if more people want to get together and order at a group price.
Patch
Controlled Process Shooting | SHOT IQ

I have watched his Youtube video's and I think his teaching is legit. I have a friend that has also shot with him and said he is a nice guy and knowledgeable. I played around with a grip sear and I didn't like it but could see where that or the tab sear ( I shoot trad) could have some possibilities, of course those are not new but his video's showing how and why are pretty good. I have considered the course, I am going the clicker route for now as I have changed up anchor and want the "verification" . Interested is seeing what others have to say about the course.

Kilboars

WKR
I'd like to go to one of his seminars. Heard Joe Rogan mention him and catching his podcast and youtube vids now.

I'd do the online course just not sure to focus enough on it.

mvmnts

WKR
I purchased his class online. It's really expensive for what it is, but having someone who can explain things in such a way that nobody else really can is worth it. He got me on the right path. His coverage of target panic is very cerebral. It's best if you can watch his videos at 1.25x speed, he talks a bit slow for my taste. Highly recommend it and I tell people all the time to try it.

LostArra

WKR
I have watched his Youtube video's and I think his teaching is legit. I have a friend that has also shot with him and said he is a nice guy and knowledgeable. I played around with a grip sear and I didn't like it but could see where that or the tab sear ( I shoot trad) could have some possibilities, of course those are not new but his video's showing how and why are pretty good. I have considered the course, I am going the clicker route for now as I have changed up anchor and want the "verification" . Interested is seeing what others have to say about the course.

Ditto on the clicker and it has been very beneficial for my shot control which is a point of emphasis from Joel Turner.
I'm also not into the grip sear although I think it works for some.