Electronic Lock on Garage or House?

I'm trying to determine the best location for the keypad entry deadbolt to access either the garage or the house. Ideally, I would put one on every exterior door, but those damn things aren't cheap. I'm only going to get one right now, and I can't decide if it should go on the main door or the side entry garage door.

If I put a lock on the interior garage to house door, than anyone accessing the garage with the keypad would still need a key to get into the house. On the flip side, I could put it on the main entry door, but that thing will almost never get used and it seems like a waste of money.

What are your thoughts?

I use the keypad garage door opener. They are much cheaper and gets you into the garage. I would then put the keypad on the door going to the house from the garage. Double security and more use.

Dameon

WKR
Put it on the door you use the most. In my case, my wife is wheelchair bound and she can only use the front door, so that is where I put mine.

jmez

WKR
My thoughts would be to just put a regular deadbolt on. Electronic locks, just like a regular deadbolt will deter an honest thief only. A professional will have not more trouble getting past an expensive electronic device as apposed to a regular lock. Not worth the money or the hassle of an electronic device IMO.

AdamW

WKR
What are you trying to achieve here? Primary residents not having to carry keys (or at least use them every time) or an easy way for others to access the house on rarer occasions?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If on the garage you can just stash a key inside there to use once you've accessed the garage if this is for occasional access. Folks with kids I know tent to like them on the front door some the kids can get inside w/o carrying keys.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What type of security system do you have? Can you incorporate the e-deadbolt or e-garage door opener into your system? Our deadbolt is integrated into our security system. We have options to add additional e-access points, but are taking it a step at a time. Biggest pro for me is being able to access my home via my smart phone and open doors, control the HVAC system, etc. Cons is the worry of e-security, but thus is the world we live in. I grew up where you could leave your doors unlocked, we now live in a world where that is almost unheard of..

OP
ndbwhunter
Thanks for all the information! I'm primarily concerned about the convenience of not having to use keys all the time. I'll have a keypad on one of the big garage doors, but would like to not use them when just running in an out. Right now I'm leaning toward the electronic lock on one of the walk in garage doors. I would like to add the electronic locks to every access point, but the cost is prohibitive at this time.

I don't have a security system yet, as the home is still under construction, but would like to add something in the near future. Do you have any recommendations? I'm not overly concerned about video monitoring, as I don't like the thought of people watching me at their leisure. I would like the ability to monitor my house with my smartphone though (locks, HVAC, lights, etc.). This is nothing that's going to happen in the short term, as the costs would be unbelievably high.

Home safety is important. You should put in to to front main door. To fix this you should use licensed & insured general contractors who are available in your area. Home remodeling contractors bergen county NJ also provides these services. The professionals can take care of the home safety requirements and any other additions it may need.

Squirrels

WKR
Thanks for all the information! I'm primarily concerned about the convenience of not having to use keys all the time. I'll have a keypad on one of the big garage doors, but would like to not use them when just running in an out. Right now I'm leaning toward the electronic lock on one of the walk in garage doors. I would like to add the electronic locks to every access point, but the cost is prohibitive at this time.

I don't have a security system yet, as the home is still under construction, but would like to add something in the near future. Do you have any recommendations? I'm not overly concerned about video monitoring, as I don't like the thought of people watching me at their leisure. I would like the ability to monitor my house with my smartphone though (locks, HVAC, lights, etc.). This is nothing that's going to happen in the short term, as the costs would be unbelievably high.

I have four exterior doors to my home, I went with the e locks for simple convience. They are not connected to my network. I have two done and have two more to go. They do make it handy.

2ski

WKR
If you already have a keypad on a garage door I would put it on the front door. No reason to have one on two different doors going into the garage.

I think you get a better deal on security systems if you talk to the door to door people that come around. My aunt and uncle have ADT and I think they wish they had the same one as my parents and their daughter. I don't remember who but everyone was hit up by a door to door salesman no matter the company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I really like an electronic lock on my primary access manway door into the garage as well as the manway door into the workshop/storage building which is a separate building. We just built in 2016 and I used the electronic lock with temporary codes to let contractors access the shop for building materials and store their own tools in it.......then reprogramed the code when they finished up. For us this was a lot better than keyed locks where keys get lost, copied, etc. As per our "front" door, it would be the last place we'd add an electronic lock as it just doesn't get used by the family on a regular basis and would be a waste of money.