Don't be a SMART ASS!

Aron really hit home a few days ago when he told us what he teaches at home.
"Say what you mean, mean what you say, and don't say it mean."

Since I heard him say that I've been trying to make it a habit.

There's a difference between bantering and insulting. There are always going to be people who think insults are sport and the forum is their playing field. I basically have zero interest in threads that get insulting, but a bit of friendly banter back and forth is good by me. Ryan is right in that some people simply do not or will not rein themselves in from the bad/insulting behaviors and so need either a public defacing or banishment from the house. Yes...house. Free speech does not apply on privately owned forums and it isn't a right. The fact that anyone is here to communicate at all is a privilege. It's not your house...not my house. It's not terribly hard to see the guys who dependably act like the house is theirs to do and say whatever they want...basically daring mods or admin to take them down.

There is most assuredly a fine and changing line between allowing free flow of thoughts, while shutting off the sewage and stink it inevitably brings.

It's not freakishly hard to communicate with others and keep it useful. And generally if a comment isn't either neutral, fun or useful...it probably has little to offer. I like to read and exchange knowledge with others. I know how to disagree with someone without having to attack, belittle or insult them. I can offer a dissenting thought but do it with respect. I might even call you a dope but you'll see a ;) in the comment and you're someone I already know. Over-moderation is bad....but it's a damn sight better than forums which become known as a gauntlet of hard-cases and keyboard cowar....I mean cowboys who sit and look for things to shoot at. Maybe it's just me, but give me the room full of gentlemen who can talk without regressing to behaviors learned at 5th grade recess.

My appreciation to Ryan and Robby.

2ski

WKR
I miss littlebuff! He was funny as all get out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As I was reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing. You beat me too it. There should be a subforum, like "Aron's Corner" called Littlebuff Tells it like it is-beware...you may get your feeling hurt...but mostly if you wear Kuiu. That guy. I know some of his friends are on here still. Tell him we said hi and we miss him. Good times.

Actually this thread brings back some old memories as I was thinking about things. This place still is a great place, but there was this awesome sense of community. It still does have a great sense of community, but it was different a few years ago. Less people and a newness to things. Someone got on and started a thread to review a product and you weren't tempted to type a smart ass comment like "Well thanks for the review of something that's been reviewed about 10,000 times here already" because it truly hadn't been reviewed yet.(I wouldn't do such a thing, but I have thought such a thing a time or two). And I get that there is value having people do new reviews again because there are new people here looking for reviews and to wade through the many threads on say a Kifaru DT can get a little tedious. Things always change, and I'm not complaining, but just waxing nostalgic. Speaking of Aron calling people out, remember when Aron started the thread asking that if you don't have experience with what question was being asked to kindly not give an opinion. You know, "I got one the other day and I haven't used it yet, but its GREAT", and then Shrek misunderstood that to mean that Aron was calling him out because he was pretty new to western hunting but he wasn't calling Shrek out....good times.

Clarktar

WKR
As I was reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing. You beat me too it. There should be a subforum, like "Aron's Corner" called Littlebuff Tells it like it is-beware...you may get your feeling hurt...but mostly if you wear Kuiu. That guy. I know some of his friends are on here still. Tell him we said hi and we miss him. Good times.

Actually this thread brings back some old memories as I was thinking about things. This place still is a great place, but there was this awesome sense of community. It still does have a great sense of community, but it was different a few years ago. Less people and a newness to things. Someone got on and started a thread to review a product and you weren't tempted to type a smart ass comment like "Well thanks for the review of something that's been reviewed about 10,000 times here already" because it truly hadn't been reviewed yet.(I wouldn't do such a thing, but I have thought such a thing a time or two). And I get that there is value having people do new reviews again because there are new people here looking for reviews and to wade through the many threads on say a Kifaru DT can get a little tedious. Things always change, and I'm not complaining, but just waxing nostalgic. Speaking of Aron calling people out, remember when Aron started the thread asking that if you don't have experience with what question was being asked to kindly not give an opinion. You know, "I got one the other day and I haven't used it yet, but its GREAT", and then Shrek misunderstood that to mean that Aron was calling him out because he was pretty new to western hunting but he wasn't calling Shrek out....good times.

Oh yea, the days when Shrek was "Green". I agree the community has changed. But that is inevitable I suppose. I have noticed a uptick in people being rude though. It was nice when Aron was able to be active. Then he was shuffled to a corner, and now that corner is dark and dusty!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea, the days when Shrek was "Green". I agree the community has changed. But that is inevitable I suppose. I have noticed a uptick in people being rude though. It was nice when Aron was able to be active. Then he was shuffled to a corner, and now that corner is dark and dusty!

He shuffled himself to the corner, got sick of the forum bs. It's not nostalgic to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Oops, bad word choice. Did not mean for that to sound accusatory.

I would not assume it to be nostalgic to him.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind the smart arse stuff as much as when people jump on a high horse and lecture someone after asking a simple question. I have a theory that quite often it's just to show off what they know as it rarely relates to the topic actually asked about.

I've left most forums I've ever joined because of it, this one does have a bit of crap but isn't the worst.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think there's anything going on here that can't be adjusted through some tough moderation (if warranted) and members willing to do the right thing. I've served as a website chair and moderator, and I fully get the tug-of-war which exists. I always tried to err on the side of less stick and more carrot. But occasionally people show up and are determined to act as they wish...anyone else be-damned. Some went right over the line and into constantly abusive or negative responses. Some knew how to dance back and forth just managing to avoid discipline. I recall one guy who referred to a moderator as an idiot in an open forum...and his 17 year membership ended that very day. I had to shut down a guy who basically went psycho-angry and did every possible thing to disrupt and fight.

I just don't fully know why people get on forums and say things or act in ways that...as someone said... would end up with their teeth getting kicked in if they did it in real life to the wrong guy. I guess as I said previously, for some it's just sport...or maybe entertainment. Perhaps it's done for attention, or as an outlet for their aggression they have no way to express otherwise. Closet road-ragers maybe. I just know they hurt forums in the long run by discouraging readers (lurkers) from deciding to contribute. More than once I've seen a new guy get gang-banged for his question, thought or opinion and it ends with him deciding he doesn't need the grief.

I will always encourage the moderators here to follow their gut(s) and keep a low tolerance to abusive or intentionally insulting remarks. The people it costs you will be inconsequential compared to those you gain.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there's anything going on here that can't be adjusted through some tough moderation (if warranted) and members willing to do the right thing. I've served as a website chair and moderator, and I fully get the tug-of-war which exists. I always tried to err on the side of less stick and more carrot. But occasionally people show up and are determined to act as they wish...anyone else be-damned. Some went right over the line and into constantly abusive or negative responses. Some knew how to dance back and forth just managing to avoid discipline. I recall one guy who referred to a moderator as an idiot in an open forum...and his 17 year membership ended that very day. I had to shut down a guy who basically went psycho-angry and did every possible thing to disrupt and fight.

I just don't fully know why people get on forums and say things or act in ways that...as someone said... would end up with their teeth getting kicked in if they did it in real life to the wrong guy. I guess as I said previously, for some it's just sport...or maybe entertainment. Perhaps it's done for attention, or as an outlet for their aggression they have no way to express otherwise. Closet road-ragers maybe. I just know they hurt forums in the long run by discouraging readers (lurkers) from deciding to contribute. More than once I've seen a new guy get gang-banged for his question, thought or opinion and it ends with him deciding he doesn't need the grief.

I will always encourage the moderators here to follow their gut(s) and keep a low tolerance to abusive or intentionally insulting remarks. The people it costs you will be inconsequential compared to those you gain.
I think it like social media is faceless and people aren't held accountable for their actions like they would be in a real life situation

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin Dill I can tell you've been on both sides of the mod fence. Thanks for sharing, you're spot on. At last count, I think Ryan was around 400 bans, some of them high profile members. But we decided a long time ago they scare off more people than they're worth by far. Some guys want us to leave them for the entertainment value but those guys don't pay the bills around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This site has had phenomenal growth since I've been around and Ryan and Robbie have done a pretty spectacular job of keeping it in line with their original vision considering. Most guys will come around with a warning or just fade out themselves when they realize bad behavior doesn't belong here, but then there's the occasional guy that just can't live with himself if he doesn't push the envelope of acceptable social behavior until he gets the ax. It's easy to be misunderstood with written words but it's also pretty easy to apologize when something comes across poorly, I've done it myself many times. We're all here to learn and socialize in a fun manner with like minded people and there's just no call for trying to make others feel bad about posting or commenting, even if it's the same question again and again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
This site has had phenomenal growth since I've been around and Ryan and Robbie have done a pretty spectacular job of keeping it in line with their original vision considering. Most guys will come around with a warning or just fade out themselves when they realize bad behavior doesn't belong here, but then there's the occasional guy that just can't live with himself if he doesn't push the envelope of acceptable social behavior until he gets the ax. It's easy to be misunderstood with written words but it's also pretty easy to apologize when something comes across poorly, I've done it myself many times. We're all here to learn and socialize in a fun manner with like minded people and there's just no call for trying to make others feel bad about posting or commenting, even if it's the same question again and again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Agreed, a person has to be able to apologize when they go to far or are misunderstood.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk