Coffee Blocks Review

I drink buttered coffee several times a week (blend in unsalted butter and coconut oil with two cups of coffee) and it's delicious. If I hadnt seen these on IG the other day and had my wife order some for Christmas I'd definitely take you up on a trail run... but I'm hoping you just got a bad batch. I was very curious how you could get them to blend properly, since with the 'real' deal you cant just shake it enough to get it blended up.

When done right, bulletproof coffee is great (IMO) - smooth, easy to drink, tastes great and has a better kick than just your regular cup.

FreeRange - I might have to try your set up for my scouting and backpacking this summer.

Jimbob

WKR
I have never had a cup of coffee I didn't like. I drink crappy black coffee at work and it makes the stuff I drink at home taste so much better. At home I grind my own locally fresh roasted beans and make espresso or french press. I also really enjoy butter coffee but don't make it that often. I can't wait to give these a go.

Last edited:

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried butter coffee and didn't mind it...but there was something seriously wrong with this particular combo. I think it may have been the instant coffee in it. I will admit it, Starbucks instant is the only instant I've found that actually doesn't taste like instant. I also think the coconut weirded my brain out. Above all, the texture was the worst part about it. horrible. I like strong coffee but not coffee I have to chew through, and it didn't matter how much I mixed it. I don't take a blender or shaker cup hunting, so I can't (and don't want to) drink coffee that takes this much effort. Starbucks instant + hot water + creamer= my level of laziness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
Someone convince me adding processed dairy fat to my coffee is a good thing.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just saw this thread--PRICELESS!-----man, I was howling. So, of course I am intrigued so I am going to have to try some. Worse case scenario, add whiskey:cool:

Randy

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
You could always milk your pack goats, then churn that into fresh butter.

Stwrt9

WKR
thanks for a good laugh and ugh review. would have been great to have had a video review

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
This thread reminds me of the Geico commercial with the raccoons

Ironman8

WKR
I took Coffee Blocks with me this September and while I wouldn't go as far as "vomit taste", it is pretty bitter and doesn't taste anything like the butter or Bulletproof coffee that I make at home. The only way I was able to palate it for 8 days in the backcountry is by adding 2 packets of honey and just telling myself that I need the extra calories. I won't be taking it next year, that's for sure.

FreeRange,
Which powdered coconut oil and butter/ghee do you use in the backcountry? I've looked into it but it seems that they don't mix very well. How do yours mix?

Hunter6

WKR
I love coffee and drink way more than I should. That said I must have been living in a hole because until this thread I had never heard of butter coffee. While I'm not ready the try this brand because of all the raving reviews I'm going to give butter coffee a shot at home. We'll see if I like it I might still try this next season in the elk woods.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There are some things in life that I don't have to try to determine that they aren't fit for consumption.......and as I expressed in the original thread........this is definitely one of them.

Well... I got my Coffee Blocks in the mail a few days ago and decided to give it a try this morning. I had high hopes, the butter and coconut coffee I make at home is fantastic as is the bulletproof coffee I occasionally get at a local coffee shop. I followed the directions to a T, gave it a few minutes to cool to a drinking temp and gave it a try.

Yuck. I'm not sure where they went wrong, but it's definitely not the smooth taste of normal buttered coffee. I can definitely smell the hint of vomit that was originally talked about. I took a total of about 5 drinks and had to dump it out and wash my mug thoroughly. As I type this there is real coffee brewing with the coconut oil and butter on stand by with the blender.

Damnit, I was really hoping you all had a bad batch...but this stuff is gross.

Merry Christmas!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can definitely smell the hint of vomit that was originally talked about. I took a total of about 5 drinks and had to dump it out and wash my mug thoroughly.

5 sips??? I'm thinking of the old SNL skit with the soured chunky milk. "Let me try that again". LOL.

The old "Bassomatic" comes to mind as well......."Mmmmmm, that's good bass".

FreeRange

WKR
I took Coffee Blocks with me this September and while I wouldn't go as far as "vomit taste", it is pretty bitter and doesn't taste anything like the butter or Bulletproof coffee that I make at home. The only way I was able to palate it for 8 days in the backcountry is by adding 2 packets of honey and just telling myself that I need the extra calories. I won't be taking it next year, that's for sure.

FreeRange,
Which powdered coconut oil and butter/ghee do you use in the backcountry? I've looked into it but it seems that they don't mix very well. How do yours mix?

I use Quest powdered coconut oil and homemade ghee from pastured butter. At home I put one of those whisk balls for protein shakes inside my hydroflask and shake the hell out of it to get everything to blend together. In the backcountry I just swirl as best i can with my knife. I still get some chunks when mixing it by hand. I haven't found a powdered butter I like, but using powdered oil plus ghee helps everything emulsify. I eat a ketogenic diet and get about 500 calories a day via powdered coconut oil and regular coconut oil in my coffee, I don't put ghee in my coffee day to day just to limit my dairy fat intake. Bulletproof coffee in a blender is absolute best but it's not an option to fire up a blender before leaving for work when the kids are still sleeping and I think the whisk ball trick works almost as good.