Coffee Blocks Review

Hello Roksliders,

This review is coming to you from SW Colorado where I started and ended my review of Coffee Blocks Coffee. A few weeks back Mr. Avery asked if anyone wanted to try this brand of coffee in a backcountry coffee thread (weird huh?). I figured why not as I am still currently carrying a tag for elk and sit glassing quite a bit. Like most, I enjoy a warm beverage during these sessions.

So, this Coffee Blocks claims its breakfast in a cup. It says so on the box. It also says that Coffee Blocks is the no mess, no guess butter coffee you can take and make anywhere. The healthy fats in our butter coffee help you burn fat and stay focused. Giving you energy to conquer your day.

This product is made in the USA with the best ingredients from around the world. All natural ingredients, grass fed butter, organic coconut oil and real coffee. No preservatives, no gluten, no sugar. Then they go on to say, no worries, you're welcome. The rest of the ingredients are organic egg yolks and organic pure vanilla extract.

In the box there are eight packets. Each packet is one serving size, 1.1oz. 210 calories per serving, with 190 calories from fat.

Now on to my trial run. So its about 0830, I've been glassing for about an hour and I decide to make a cup of this coffee. I pull the packet out of my snack bag and its frozen. However, it slides right out of the packet and into my cup. It sorta looks like something my cat would leave behind. Anyway, the water is boiling at this point and so I pour in the 12oz of water. (8oz of hot and 4oz of room temp-I'm in the woods, not really room temp out here, its 26*.) I take my spoon and stir this concoction, noticing a particular smell but I cant seem to place it. I wait for a few minutes then decide to take a sip, as I didn't want to burn myself. (in hindsight, that was the least of my problems) As this beverage hits my lips I realize its freaking hot, then the taste hits me---it tastes exactly like vomit. I immediately spit this beverage out. I can't get the taste out of my mouth, and the smell has hit me in full force. I throw my coffee cup and curse Ryan Avery explicitly for this wrong doing in which I have participated. Then I yell several more unfriendly and explicit words only to realize that several mule deer are looking at me like I am bat shit crazy. I yell again and they run off. Angrily I walk over and pick up my coffee cup. It still reeks of this vomit coffee Ryan sent me, in fact, I can smell it on the dirt. I am now ready to fully get this taste out of my mouth so I eat several packets of oatmeal straight from the bag, two granola bars and half a packet of gum. I pack up my gear and head out to the blind I am planning on sitting at for the rest of the day. Along the way I begin to burp, it tastes like vomit coffee. This continues for several hours, eventually going away after I eat my lunch.

Other than that it wasn't too bad. It fit nicely inside my snack pack and didn't explode so I win that round.

I have seven more packets. Anyone else want to try this?

Jimbob

WKR
Ha Ha. Have you ever had butter coffee before? a blender is pretty important to the process so I wonder how these instants work. Honestly I would love to try these.

Grumman

WKR
That's pretty funny stuff. What is the shelf life on a product like that considering they have eggs as an ingredient? I'm assuming they are not freeze dried eggs. I've never tried Coffee Blocks but do add just straight coconut oil to my first cup of coffee for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Justin, you should spread the wealth and send them to Jimbob.

oldgoat

WKR
You should send them to Luke Johnson to try, I know he likes coffee in the back country and maybe he won't see this thread first!

I don't think it tastes like vomit...either we have way different tastes, or you got a bad batch. I take it with me when I travel for work and have one almost every morning. My boss, who is a coffee snob, tried some of mine and now he is hooked on it as well. So who knows...to each his own.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Roksliders,

This review is coming to you from SW Colorado where I started and ended my review of Coffee Blocks Coffee. A few weeks back Mr. Avery asked if anyone wanted to try this brand of coffee in a backcountry coffee thread (weird huh?). I figured why not as I am still currently carrying a tag for elk and sit glassing quite a bit. Like most, I enjoy a warm beverage during these sessions.

So, this Coffee Blocks claims its breakfast in a cup. It says so on the box. It also says that Coffee Blocks is the no mess, no guess butter coffee you can take and make anywhere. The healthy fats in our butter coffee help you burn fat and stay focused. Giving you energy to conquer your day.

This product is made in the USA with the best ingredients from around the world. All natural ingredients, grass fed butter, organic coconut oil and real coffee. No preservatives, no gluten, no sugar. Then they go on to say, no worries, you're welcome. The rest of the ingredients are organic egg yolks and organic pure vanilla extract.

In the box there are eight packets. Each packet is one serving size, 1.1oz. 210 calories per serving, with 190 calories from fat.

Now on to my trial run. So its about 0830, I've been glassing for about an hour and I decide to make a cup of this coffee. I pull the packet out of my snack bag and its frozen. However, it slides right out of the packet and into my cup. It sorta looks like something my cat would leave behind. Anyway, the water is boiling at this point and so I pour in the 12oz of water. (8oz of hot and 4oz of room temp-I'm in the woods, not really room temp out here, its 26*.) I take my spoon and stir this concoction, noticing a particular smell but I cant seem to place it. I wait for a few minutes then decide to take a sip, as I didn't want to burn myself. (in hindsight, that was the least of my problems) As this beverage hits my lips I realize its freaking hot, then the taste hits me---it tastes exactly like vomit. I immediately spit this beverage out. I can't get the taste out of my mouth, and the smell has hit me in full force. I throw my coffee cup and curse Ryan Avery explicitly for this wrong doing in which I have participated. Then I yell several more unfriendly and explicit words only to realize that several mule deer are looking at me like I am bat shit crazy. I yell again and they run off. Angrily I walk over and pick up my coffee cup. It still reeks of this vomit coffee Ryan sent me, in fact, I can smell it on the dirt. I am now ready to fully get this taste out of my mouth so I eat several packets of oatmeal straight from the bag, two granola bars and half a packet of gum. I pack up my gear and head out to the blind I am planning on sitting at for the rest of the day. Along the way I begin to burp, it tastes like vomit coffee. This continues for several hours, eventually going away after I eat my lunch.

Other than that it wasn't too bad. It fit nicely inside my snack pack and didn't explode so I win that round.

I have seven more packets. Anyone else want to try this?

I'm with Justin. Ryan was sent these coffee blocks and had me try them first. I could choke down a few sips but that was it. They were NASTY! and I'm a girl that will eat anything. Ryan didn't believe me, because the rep of these coffee blocks swore up and down how great they were. NO. Ryan is convinced I'm a 'coffee snob' so I was an unfair reviewer. NO. I drink McDonald's coffee. I had to eat 3 donuts and drink a REAL cup of coffee to wash the taste out of my mouth, and my memory. All I can say is if I need energy this bad when I am hunting , LET ME DIE.

I want some to take for my hunting partner if he pisses me off great review

dotman

WKR
Hahahaha, that is the best review ever Justin!!!

I'm sold on the Trader Joe's instant, it's good and it's cheap.

LMAO!! I'll take your words for it Justin and Tanya. I'm sticking with my regular coffee.

Thanks for taking one for the team.

OP
justinspicher
Ha Ha. Have you ever had butter coffee before? a blender is pretty important to the process so I wonder how these instants work. Honestly I would love to try these.

Jimbob,

PM your address and I'll get the rest of these packets out to you after Christmas.

FreeRange

WKR
I drink butter coffee or coconut oil coffee every day and actually had a friend give me one of these last night at a party to try, his wife likes them but man are they pricey!

If you want to do your own butter coffee the trick that I've found works best is to use whatever coffee method you like, I do via's in the backcountry, and then add powdered coconut oil and butter/ghee. The powdered oil has an emulsifier in it so the extra oils also emulsify, avoiding the layer of lip burning oil that usually gathers on top of your coffee. I get over 200 calories per cup of coffee this way, and those are some super dense and tasty calories. Easiest to manage is straight powdered coconut oil or powdered butter (which I don't like the taste of as much). I package them in ironed out freezer bag pouches at home, similar to these butter coffee packets so they're easy to rip open and pour out.

No cat poo clumps in your coffee or vomit taste.

LostArra

WKR
I'm at a loss on the reasoning behind combining things I already like separately, coffee and butter.
What next, bacon in my coffee?

boom

WKR
can you mail me a single packet? i'd love to take a swing at one..

you had me at "cat turd".