Snowshoeing

OP
justinspicher
I have four pairs of MSR snowshoes. Broke a harness a few years back and had no issues getting it fixed.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
MSR's warranty is rock solid :)

here's an option for someone looking for a very lightweight shoe, it's a MSR Swift- it's a youth shoe, but the binding will accommodate up to a Men's 11 shoe- the binding is very similar to the Lightning, just one less strap; I use it spring conditions (firm snow) where I'll have just intermittent shoe use (also use them for adventure races when there is some chance of needing shoes)

msrswifts_zpssnfnydpk.jpg

fastpack30_zpsrqkqvcmn.jpg

OP
justinspicher
My daughter has a pair of the youth MSR snow shoes. I'll have to keep them in mind and not get rid of them.

I usually run my scarpa fuego boots.

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
I went snowshoeing with the family for the first time on Christmas Morning, at the base of Mt. Shavano, I'm already hooked on it, cant wait until this weekend to get out again, after reading reviews and what I'm planning on doing, (backcountry, winter camping) I went with the MSR lightning ascents in a 30 and got a pair of 25's for the wife. just running youth tubbs for the kids, all worked out great. I'm also running the Columbia Bugaboot 2 winter boots and really liking them. thought about running them with my Scarpa triolets, but they aren't that warm. the Bugaboot's were warm but not too much, they have decent support and feet never got cold or overheated in the few miles that we covered.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR
What type of boot are you guys using with your shoes?

I've been wearing the same pair of Sorel Caribous for about the last 20 years for snowshoeing. They don't get used for much else except sledding with the kids or when I'm running the snow blower. Might be better options out there but these work for me with a pair of OR gaiters. I'd be interested to hear what others are using too. Always wondered how the Shnees pack boots would work out?

CoHiCntry

WKR
here's one possible alternative to snowshoeing- Altai skis- short and wide, metal edges with a permanent climbing skin built in, I've found them to be about the same time heading up drainages as snowshoes, much quicker out. if it's really gnarly country, snowshoes have a big edge, but otherwise a viable alternative

Thanks again... just ordered some this morning! Can't wait to try them out! On another note, anyone do any Skijoring with your dog? Always wanted to try that out too. Think I'll go to Leadville this year and watch the nuts doing the horse Skijoring.

I just wear my solamon quest's with my MSR revo explore snow shoes. my feet are fine while moving, it's only prolonged periods of sitting where my toes will get cold.
the girlfriend wears the same, except she needs the toe warmers otherwise I catch an earful :D

topher89

WKR
I got out snowshoeing yesterday and out of curiosity, I kept an eye on what other people where wearing. I would say 8 out of 10 people were wearing MSR plastic deck snowshoes (probably rentals). Everything else was a mix of Atlas, Crescent Moon and MSR Lightening Ascents.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I got out snowshoeing yesterday and out of curiosity, I kept an eye on what other people where wearing. I would say 8 out of 10 people were wearing MSR plastic deck snowshoes (probably rentals). Everything else was a mix of Atlas, Crescent Moon and MSR Lightening Ascents.

When I go snowshoeing I rarely see anybody. Where were you at that you saw that many people? Maybe I'm missing the boat on the "good" spots??? :p

topher89

WKR
When I go snowshoeing I rarely see anybody. Where were you at that you saw that many people? Maybe I'm missing the boat on the "good" spots??? :p
We took some out-of-towners to Rocky Mountain National Park. It was moderately busy but you would be surprised how quickly people disappeared after passing the one mile marker :)

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing the same pair of Sorel Caribous for about the last 20 years for snowshoeing. They don't get used for much else except sledding with the kids or when I'm running the snow blower. Might be better options out there but these work for me with a pair of OR gaiters. I'd be interested to hear what others are using too. Always wondered how the Shnees pack boots would work out?

I've got a pair of Hoffman Mountaineers that work great with MSR Denalis with or without tails. I've dabbled with touring skis/skins with Fritschi Diamir bindings with heel lifts for climbing. Can climb pretty steep stuff in those, but turning with skins going slow is another story altogether.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
this thread is a year old, time to freshen it up :) got out the last two days on my "running" snowshoes- 20"-ish of snow and temps slightly below zero

a8mtwhv.jpg

bcFmLuD.jpg

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I like to strap on a pack with 25 or 30lb sand bag in it and really feel the burn in my quads.