Snowshoeing

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think a stiff boot would work just fine with the universal binding; if you’re wanting to make a few downhill turns- I think the stiffer boot would help

I don’t see any downside of a stiff boot (if it’s comfortable obviously) in the universal binding- I’ve worn a pretty stiff La Sportiva boot with them, but usually a lighter weight Keen, in frigid conditions a Schnee pack boot- they all work fine :)

I think a stiff boot would work just fine with the universal binding; if you’re wanting to make a few downhill turns- I think the stiffer boot would help

I don’t see any downside of a stiff boot (if it’s comfortable obviously) in the universal binding- I’ve worn a pretty stiff La Sportiva boot with them, but usually a lighter weight Keen, in frigid conditions a Schnee pack boot- they all work fine :)
May I ask which La Sportiva model you used? Would like to compare to what I have. Thanks

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR

Agree^^ my friend wears Schnee pack boots and I wear my Crispi's with gaiters,both work fine.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the weekend before last, buddy and I got 16-ish miles in on a snowshoe loop- bagged two peaks as well; took longer than expected and we ended up finishing in headlamps
UT6ar3X.jpg

8jYZkSM.jpg

tVwDelq.jpg

vanish

WKR
We snowshoed in over Memorial day weekend for some epic last chance ice fishing! 6 brookies and 1 cutthroat over 16 inches ( and a couple dozen smaller )

uc

SoDaky

WKR
The sweltering heat got me reviewing this thread and glad I did.Great info and fantastic pics/views.Thanks.Our snowshoe use on the prairie is different and generally we are better off with old style woods.They glide better.Usually the longer,narrower the better.Great exercise and lots of fun.Sadly they haven't been needed the last few years.View attachment 72741

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
got some snowshoeing in my trek across the Bob Marshall in this year's open

zlkuF6B.jpg

bnpvgMB.jpg

zxBdAKa.jpg

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
We snowshoed in over Memorial day weekend for some epic last chance ice fishing! 6 brookies and 1 cutthroat over 16 inches ( and a couple dozen smaller )
Where abouts were you in general? I'm supposed to go to Estes end of next week with the wife's family, and snagged a backcountry permit in RMNP one night up at Lawn Lake. Just curious what I could expect condition wise. Think the lake is at 10,600' or so

vanish

WKR
Where abouts were you in general? I'm supposed to go to Estes end of next week with the wife's family, and snagged a backcountry permit in RMNP one night up at Lawn Lake. Just curious what I could expect condition wise. Think the lake is at 10,600' or so

We were west of RMNP a couple hours. That area is known for its late snow pack. There's much less snow elsewhere in the state.

Lake Irene in RMNP ( 10,700 ) currently has about a foot of snow, and melting fast.

NWCC Report Generator

You're lucky, as most years early June would still usually have plenty of snow.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
We were west of RMNP a couple hours. That area is known for its late snow pack. There's much less snow elsewhere in the state.

Lake Irene in RMNP ( 10,700 ) currently has about a foot of snow, and melting fast.

NWCC Report Generator

You're lucky, as most years early June would still usually have plenty of snow.

Thanks a bunch for the link. I had heard about the lower snow pack, which gave me a little more confidence in selecting the site. Hopefully be a good trip!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
time to get this thread back up w/ the onset of winter :). have gotten in quite a bit of snowshoeing thus far couple of overnighters too

including a pic (last pic) of something folks might not know about, they are 40 Below overshoes- neoprene overshoes that can worn be over the top of trail runners, boots etc to add warmth, pretty light weight too

oV4NXXn.jpg

4jlfQnb.jpg

jZZN44a.jpg

IVkQWzH.jpg

matthewmt

WKR
Man it's been in the 40s up north here. Rain...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

When I lived in New England I carried snow shoes and an old set of mountaineering XC skis with military bindings. There was no terrain or snow type I couldn’t cover with that combo.
I’ve had two sets of atlas shoes and liked the way they didn’t ice up but the bindings didn’t hold up all that well. My go to shoes were made by Sony Wade in Bingham Maine about 35 years ago and with minimal care, they’re still going strong.

Just got home with my kiddos from some 'Sunday funday' at the local nature trails complex....sunny, 15 degrees, no wind, couple feet of powder, with a cocoa/s'more finish...better than church! :D

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still way too much snow in north Idaho at 5k and in the dark timber expends too much energy getting into the backcountry yet to look for tines and have enough left in the tank for a 2500/pull with weight👍8B22FA35-F24E-4E84-903D-B34471010CC0.jpeg[