Snowshoeing

colersu22

WKR
I would like to get into it so I can extend my hiking weekends but don't know where to start as far as what snow shoes to get. Any one have suggestions? Im 5'9" 225lbs if that helps.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Have used them, though they seem to be more of a pain in the ass except in the right snow conditions (hard crust). I find it easier to use microspikes or crampons in most conditions.

topher89

WKR
I snowshoe a lot late December to March-ish. Great way to extend your hiking season and get out there. Especially after the small game seasons end.

I have 25 inch MSR Lightening Ascents. They are probably 8 years old at this point but are still great. I would suggest looking at MSR or Crescent Moon (if they are still around) for quality snowshoes

oldgoat

WKR
The Crescent Moons rock! Take into account any weight you will be carrying and go by the manufacturers recommendations. I like going, just never have anybody to go with and then i lm not going up there unless the weather is supposed to be top notch. I want get up and find some more white rabbits

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed a great exercise it is . My heavily worn knee does not like it much but it is a great activity, maybe because Magnum is just a little too passive on the climbs:)

and talk about a calorie burner you go through some food and water if you are going any distance and uphill!

Last edited:
OP
justinspicher
Have used them, though they seem to be more of a pain in the ass except in the right snow conditions (hard crust). I find it easier to use microspikes or crampons in most conditions.

Snowshoes and crampons are used for two different reasons.

You also need to be sized for snowshoes so you can have enough flotation to keep from sinking and requiring more work.

I've never been in a situation that I wished I had crampons on instead of my snowshoes.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are right conditions for snowshoes, otherwise yes they are a pain in the ass! but when you need them and on deep snow or crusty snow they are worth there weight in gold

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have to throw in two more photos....I take my friends on some crazy hikes :) sometimes they pan out and some times not but when they do the reward is epic and so is the day, but here is my long time friend Brian telling my what I can do with my snowshoes trips:) Anyone that has sidehilled on steep stuff in shoes knows what he is telling me:)

You will see we all had shoes on this day!

We will be doing some shoeing soon and Brian is real excited

OP
justinspicher
I'm ready to start doing some winter camping. Probably my favorite type of camping, utilizing my snowshoes to get in and out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I snowshoe all winter season- have a few pairs- one is a running pair made by Atlas- short, narrow and easy on/off bindings- not a lot of flotation obviously, but more than just post holing through the snow :D depending on snow conditions my routes can be over double the time of "normal" running, more calories burnt and more muscles/ligaments used

snowshoe_zps8zfn5clo.jpg

I also have a pair of Lightnings for backcountry use (with a pair of tails to lengthen them if needed)- I've been into some pretty hardcore places with these- very robust bindings and the most aggressive track and crampons that I've found

availwsnowshoes_zps7mnrw6nw.jpg