you think you get caught up to much in the gear?

Tex68w

WKR
Oh I know that I am, I'm a self-diagnosed gear whore and I am ok with it. I enjoy researching, comparing, reviewing, field-testing gear almost as much as I enjoy the hunt. I've trained myself to know when I have been investing too much time in it and how and when to push back from the table from time to time. I keep a lot of my good gear for many years and use it until something significantly bette comes along or if it simply wears out and needs to be replaced. Make no mistake of it, I am always looking for something better, something to improve upon.

elkduds

WKR
One good thing about gear junkies: they sell their used stuff to get the latest. Almost all my camo was bought from forum classifieds, particularly RS. Slightly used, next-to-latest technology, top quality, pennies on the $, and hundreds of user reviews avail online.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I buy, test, go through a lot of gear, and sell just as much. But that may or may not have anything to do with what I actually use while hunting. If I didn't buy and sell stuff all the time, what else would I do? It's like a hobby.

I've been replacing and upgrading gear that has traveled beyond its lifespan over the last five years. I'm buying higher quality gear now, but mostly capitalizing on something that comes up on the classifieds. I've unfortunately had hunts screwed up by obligations, but I can't imagine being a compulsive gear buyer to the detriment of hunting.

Really old, crappy, worn gear just means you need a little more heart, you work a little harder and are a little less comfortable. But crappy gear has some advantages. It's liberating. I never once worried that someone would scoop up any of my gear when I was out of camp or it was in my truck at a trailhead or in town. It wasn't worth carrying. A pawn shop wouldn't take it. Hell. Anybody seeing one of my camps would've probably felt compelled to toss a couple of bucks in my tent.

I'm where gear goes to die.

Guilty here. Been a gear monkey for a long time.

If you look at the volume and velocity of comments in the gear section vs the hunting section on this forum, it seems I am not alone.

I have a problem. Ever since I have had a steady income I've bought some of the latest and "greatest" gear. Did I need to switch pretty much my entire clothing system from Kuiu to Sitka, probably not. They are very similar. To me getting the new mountain vest was worth it though. For what I do it works much better than the guide vest. I, like some/most on here, take advantage of the classifieds. Almost all of the Sitka gear I bought was on here. It is like a hobby, one that enjoy! With my wife's and I first kid on the way she has asked me to cut back, and I should. I have some great gear. Time will tell . . . as will our bank account.

At 42 years old, I started hunting again . The last time I went, I was 12. I thought my feet would actually freeze off that year. Now that I'm older (46) and starting hunting again, I've been buying gear like crazy. Buying what I could afford, used when necessary to get decent stuff. And as my kids get older and my child support goes away, I'll actually be able to afford the really lightweight stuff I see so much on here. Until then, I'll exercise more and take the weight off me instead. Like Randy Newburg says, "you'll run out of health before you run out of money"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
The simple answer is no.

Getting caught up in the gear frenzy is an enjoyable part for me, particularly when I can't get out hunting and during the off-season. I like looking at new gear, trying new gear, reading and writing opinions about new gear. It is my only hunting related fix most of the time.

That being said, if I didn't have to spend 60+ hours a week in the office I probably wouldn't be nearly as interested in gear because I would spend all my time hunting.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have always said time afield beats gear everytime. Give me more days afield with a set of Nikon Monarch binos for $250 than a set of swaros for $1500. Gear is fun to analyze and beat subjects to death but in the end we will all use what we have and get it done...or not ;)

I always try to steer new folks to cost effective options as often I get PMs saying do I really NEED a high end this or that and for many that only spend 10-20 nights backpack hunting the answer is def not. Heck many guides would love to have some to the toys we use but they get it done more than most of us regardless....cause of time afield and knowledge.

Luckily I have been blessed with both time (only working 147 days in 2017) and enough money and opportunity to try various things. Gear is nice and can make things more comfy or easier at times but hardly the reason most of us are successful.

16Bore

WKR
I'm in a constant state of Tweakdom. Generally removing items that overlap or replacing two mediocre items with one that's better.

Damn the classifieds!

The trick, IMHO, is to not get wrapped up in the "maybe one day" stuff and focus on what I need for where I do what I do.

But more stuff works than doesn't and cartridges are more similar than different.

D_Eightch

WKR
Probably, but as i plan for my first backcountry hunt i dont want to skimp. Literally everything ive bought has been on sale and one used piece. Saved hundreds and i have pretty top notch stuff (imo) so far.

Almost all geared up!

Once i have stuff i dont replace until its needed for the most part. If its a serious upgrade i will drop the $$. But not simply because it is a slightly redesigned versiom of something i already have.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I am a buy once cry once kinda guy. I learned a lot of hard lessons in life that made me that way. I knew I was buying good boots that fit me and that I liked at any cost, and I did. I don't buy much gear, but when I do it's good gear and use it until I can't anymore. Kinda like charvey9 said, if I can't be hunting/fishing why not read about it and educate myself. I love just researching and reading different reviews on gear. Some guys love a jacket, others hate it, etc. I grew up pretty frugal, so having the ability to buy good stuff as an adult is a relief. I put family first though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obsessing is fine if you don't break the family budget and buy what truly helps YOUR needs.

Time in the field is more important to be effective. I see the two going hand in hand. Time in field teaches you what you need, having the right gear can allow you to spend more time in the field. Less suffering=more focus.

The right gear isn't necessarily the newest or most expensive.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I grew up with hand me down gear and wool. The options and quality we have today makes it tough to not always be looking and tinkering. There is a fine line when you accumulate quality gear in making a decision about what will help me be more successful, more comfortable, more effecient and ultimately have more fun. I like new gear as much as anyone but in the end on a big purchase item I ask myself will this really help me to achieve what I am trying to accomplish👍

The last couple of years I've been a bit of a gear junky, finally starting to grow out of it because I got the stuff I want now!

Can't buy time however, so I'm trying to focus on making more time for myself hunting now. Take more vacation days and work less, spend my time outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
The last couple of years I've been a bit of a gear junky, finally starting to grow out of it because I got the stuff I want now!

Can't buy time however, so I'm trying to focus on making more time for myself hunting now. Take more vacation days and work less, spend my time outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more toad. I now try to spend as much time as I can outdoors. It's hard to balance time at home and outdoors, but thankfully I have an understanding wife.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tend to just rotate my focus on different interests from time to time. From archery to golf, to rifles, to handguns, to fly fishing, and back to archery again. It goes in stages.