Who's Fatbiking?

blackdawg

WKR
I am considering one of those Fat tire bikes and a trailer, how much would a bike with decent component group cost and how much for the trailer? Which trailers should be considered? Would measurements for frame/fit be same as road bike?

the trailer is a bob trailer, set up for a 29er. I had to bend the yoke a little bit wider to fit. the pugsley has an offset rear wheel.
I also have a bob trailer for a standard 26 inch wheel that I have had for close to 15 years. You won't over load the trailer, you will overload your brakes and legs.

I personally don't understand road bike sizing, but I know it is different than mountain bikes. my pugs is a 21 inch frame. but my main mountain bikes are all xl's. fat bike pricing is all over the board, from $200 at Costco to the carbon wonder bikes, that will be many thousands.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I am considering one of those Fat tire bikes and a trailer, how much would a bike with decent component group cost and how much for the trailer? Which trailers should be considered? Would measurements for frame/fit be same as road bike?

I think you'd need to better define "decent" components. You're going to hit a significant price jump for SRAM X10 components. Another thing to look for is a bike that comes with quality tires. Fatbike tires are pricey, so if you have to replace the tires out of the gate, expect to add another $200-$400 to the bottom line. Cheaper bikes come with crap tires. Depending on where you live, there can often be a decent 2nd hand market. I've seen used Pugsleys for $800.

In terms of buying a new "quality" fatbike with good components, I'd say you're looking at $1800 minimum for a DaVinci . Surly and Salsa is going to be starting at 2k. There's really not much in the $1200-$1500 market without a compromise in components. There are a lot of "pop-up" companies making fatbikes for $1200 (that seems to be the magic number for a lot of people). They'll often skimp on the important components (rear derailer) and emphasize the quality of the least important components. Mechanical breaks are usually cheaper than hydraulics, but some of the Canadian based companies use mechanicals because hydraulics don't perform well when it's -40.

Tires: I'm not sure if there is a reason to go over 4 inches unless you are riding on snow. 3.8 is probably sufficient for trail riding. Surly really leads the field in the realm of wheelsets. Several other companies, including Salsa, use Surly wheels and you will pay more for 100mm rims that host 4-5 inch tires.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not a fat bike, but my new Jamis Dragon Slayer. I'm a fan of steel frames, and this is a good base to gradually upgrade on. Figuring out my bikepacking bag set up now, bout to switch it over to tubeless. 3" tire is a pretty good compromise, almost went 29+ but there's a better 27.5+ tire selection these days it seems like. Rear rack with a bow/ gun mount is definitely on the list. I was without a bike for way too long.
defdea0c5f9371aa247814405edcdccc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MtbHunter

FNG
Everyone seems to have their own thought's about e-bikes and if they are legal or not. It basically comes down to the state and the agency where you are using it. E-bikes are the fastest growing segment of the bicycle market and most states are getting on board very quickly with them being recognized as a bicycle and not a motorized vehicle. Keep in mind there are different classifications of e-bikes and Class 1 E-bikes are what I am referring to. My Felt Outfitter is a class 1 e-bike which is looked at in most states as a bicycle, it is not self propelled. A Rambo e-bike or a QuietKat e-bike has a throttle and is a different classification.

I might be a bit biased on the ebike thing.

A couple of seasons ago, I was turned in to the usfs law enforcement for using an ebike behind a gated forest service road. which would be illegal, no wheeled motorized means of transportation. I was packing a 5x5 bull out at the time. I guess they thought my frame bag was a electric motor. I was cleared when I brought my bike and trailer into the local forest service office. However the whole process kind of tainted me on the ebike thing. however, I would like to try one, just to see what it is all about.

For those of you interested in purchasing an Ebike, or making a bike an Ebike try Lunacycle.com, they have the best prices.

I've done a fair amount of research on the what's legal thing. The Feds consider an Ebike limited to 750 watts (States can set a higher limit, but not lower that the established Fed limit of 750 watts. Ca sets it at 1000 watts) that has a pedal assist feature a bike, and as such can be taken anywhere a non Ebike can be taken. Thus if mtnbiker208 had such a bike, behind that closed gate, it would have been legal, just as a non-electric bike. The key here is that the Ebike MUST have a pedal assist feature (it can also have a throttle feature).

750 watts simply isn't enough to get you up those steep hills. So for the purpose of hunting LunaCycle came up with this beast Luna 5000w Rhino Cargo - Luna Cycle I believe the standard stock set-up is 3000 watts, not the advertised 5000. Notice that they also use a Mid-drive motor, rather than a hub motor, for good reason.

For those thinking of converting a mountain bike, you will want to run the widest tires you can get away with, simply because you will find that you will need the extra stopping ability of wider tires, normal tires tend to skid and you slide much further than you'll want to. These powerful (3000 watt) mid-drives will push a mountain bike 40 MPH on flat ground. You don't really need the speed, but you do need the power and torque, especially if your carrying a load. IMNSHO, the way to go is a fatbike with a front suspension, but then I'm pushing 54, and want a little comfort.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For that price, and that weight you might as well have a motorcycle. I don't see the appeal of something that can leave you in a lurch if the battery has an issue. You then get to pedal a heavy ass bike back out. No thanks.

all tools have their intended purpose and time. There is not one bike that can do everything, that is why the quiver is ever growing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's why we're all always broke lol

blackdawg

WKR
I can see lots of reasons for a bike, e or non-e. First is stealth, I am constantly amazed at the number of critters that I see in the LBL recreation area when making a long road bike ride, ten to one over a vehicle, they hear you coming and hide, whitetails that is. Second, seems as though technology has piled everyone on top of each other, if I can access an area quickly/quietly and hide the unit, perhaps I can avoid the monkey-see-monky-hunt here too types somewhat. Third, I can load/unload a bike way faster than a cycle or wheeler, either in the bed of truck or on an inexpensive rack. The downfall I do see to these is lack of accessories for the hunter and price. Just sold a wheeler that could outperform/haul/tow in great condition for top dollar for that used machine, a new bike/trailer setup goes for quite a bit more.

ebikes

I just read a letter the forest service put out regarding ebikes. Basically the letter stated ebikes are motorized and are only allowed where motorized vehicles are allowed. The letter did not specify wattage.

If you have an ebike, I would not take what someone is saying on the internet and I would clarify with your local forest service office.

ebikes

I just read a letter the forest service put out regarding ebikes. Basically the letter stated ebikes are motorized and are only allowed where motorized vehicles are allowed. The letter did not specify wattage.

If you have an ebike, I would not take what someone is saying on the internet and I would clarify with your local forest service office.

Can you post that letter? Cause down her in Colorado all the stores are selling eBikes preaching the 750Watt Rule. In fact down here there has been a lot of push to allow ebikes and Mtn bikes in Wilderness, not saying thats gonna happen. Either way I would like to see the letter as i know a fair amount of people looking at ebikes, including myself.

I stand correcter into ed, sorry guys. I checked further into what I was referencing and sure enough it only applies to business regulation, i.e., import...

However, each National Forest District is responsible for developing and maintaining a travel management plan. So in short, what is allowed/permitted in one forest service district, may not be in another. Additionally, vehicle type use may also be restricted to specific areas/trails. Here in Ca, we have some pretty convoluted areas. For example, some trails are open to two wheel motorcycles, but not ATVs, and vice versa, some trails are 4x4 trails, i.e., registered vehicles/jeep trails, others are jeep trails open to ATVs also.
ich
In short, you need to check your specific District Forest Service Travel Plan. Some of which have not yet caught up to there being electric bikes, and are not referenced in their travel plan.

here is the letter, basically any type of motor is motorized, the motor does not have to be internal combustion.

Attachments

• ebike01.jpg
    ebike01.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 25
  • ebike02.jpg
    ebike02.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 21

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've been using an old Giant mountain bike for a few years now. I am planning on building a bike from scratch, mainly so I can kinda learn how it all goes together and functions. I'm looking at building on a Chinese carbon frame, but am torn between a true fat bike frame or a plus frame. I'm leaning towards plus at the moment.
c5d3d4143de0447cf67b3eba3430b98a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk