New backpacker model thermacell

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah Im definitely grabbing one. I have 1 of the bigger ones but its to big to backpack with. This is perfect. Thanks for the heads up.

thanks for sharing..gonna look into this. a few of the alpline lakes we do backpacking trips to we have had to revert to eating dinner in the tent the mosquitos were so thick!

blackdawg

WKR
Interesting, but I can't see how the model with holster is a problem to backpack with, in our part of the world you don't bowhunt river bottoms before the first frost without one. They are light, spare butane and pads fit in holster, piece of paracord with carabiner for multiple attachments and away you go. It looks to me like you may have to carry extra gas canisters or get eaten alive when your fixin some joe or a meal using this backpack model. Maybe the time of it's operation is extremely longer?

So these things work well at higher elevations? I was under the impression that they were only good for flatlanders, & not so great over 8000' which is always where I begin my hunts.

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
So I sent them an email last night about elevation. They said up to and around 8k feet, so yeah that isn't going to do much good for what I was hoping for. I don't know if I've ever camped that low in Colorado before, not during mosquito season anyways

elkyinzer

WKR
I've never liked Thermacell. Grossly overrated, IME.

Care to elaborate, that's pretty non-specific? I've heard a lot of good things from reliable people about them.

I've been thinking about getting one for a few years now, not to hunt, but general summer use...back porch sitting, fishing and camping kind of stuff. This smaller model is definitely appealing. Not going to do much good if it's too much of a pain in the ass to take along, which has been my reasoning for not getting one yet.

Care to elaborate, that's pretty non-specific? I've heard a lot of good things from reliable people about them.

I've been thinking about getting one for a few years now, not to hunt, but general summer use...back porch sitting, fishing and camping kind of stuff. This smaller model is definitely appealing. Not going to do much good if it's too much of a pain in the ass to take along, which has been my reasoning for not getting one yet.
I've personally tested mine several times and it just flat out works.

I would think this new one would work at higher elevation being mounted to a fuel canister.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I too have had the same experience with mine as camping1601 has had. I was skeptical at first, but have used mine quite a bit and have had zero issues as well as great results.

I bought one for turkeys and early season ducks in Iowa. It worked great if you were in one spot but not if you were moving much. Also, it didn't seem to keep gnats away. I haven't used it since moving to Colorado three years ago.

N2TRKYS

WKR

A lot of folks around here like them and have good luck with them. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference between using it and not using it while bowhunting in the swamps here.

In the Sierras the bugs can be brutal in the early summer and it's also usually breezy. Will the thermacell work in light wind, or does it blow all the bug repellent away?

Slade

FNG
My experience with thermacell wasn't very good and I suspect it has something to do with wind. I was dove hunting this past season and bugs were thick in the sunflower fields, I brought the thermacell with me two separate nights and saw absolutely zero results. My guess is the wind was blowing the shield of protection away before it could protect me from the bugs.

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how the cost per hour compares to the original.

I might have to pick one up just to burn off partial canisters during afternoon archery hunts after work.

i just got mine in the mail, can't put it to the test yet but will be taking it on a PCT section hike this summer as well as any scouting trips to put it to the test.