Pant fit....or not

LostArra

WKR
What has happened to men's work pants?
Is comfort now a secondary issue?

Just trying to replace some canvas work pants for outdoor activities like brush hogging and tilling I've had to wade through "updated fit", modern fit, low rise, trim fit, just off natural waist and even "Broadway fit" which all translates to skinny legged hip huggers with butt hanging out after any movement that could resemble work.

I'm not an unusual shape, weight or height (5'10" 175 lbs, 33" waist) and I wonder who they make these pants for? Obviously no one who has ever done one set of squats or plans to bend over sometime during the day.

I realize that one problem is the lack of brick and mortar stores carrying a selection of pants so it's online shopping with the risk of not correctly deciphering their fit code. (Always run from the updated or modern fit!) Reviews can help but I've been returning pants like I enjoy it. Once I do find a decent work pant I may buy 5 pairs!

My wife says I'm just old. To which I reply " do young guys like uncomfortable pants?!?"

JigStick

WKR
the MOST comfortable pair of pants I have ever worn are the Duluth Trading Flex Fire Hose work pants. They come in carpenter or regular. They are outstanding. Mine have lasted a long time without getting destroyed. Duluth also makes some jeans that come in the same design. The crotch gusset is awesome when you are doing work...squatting down, kneeling, etc. Check them out.

the MOST comfortable pair of pants I have ever worn are the Duluth Trading Flex Fire Hose work pants. They come in carpenter or regular. They are outstanding. Mine have lasted a long time without getting destroyed. Duluth also makes some jeans that come in the same design. The crotch gusset is awesome when you are doing work...squatting down, kneeling, etc. Check them out.
I bought some of these and agree they are quite comfortable. Good stretch and the crotch gusset leaves room to move. My only complaint is they are a bit heavy weight. Great for durability but I wouldn't like wearing them in warmer weather.

Have you tried their flex dry on the fly cargo pants? I haven't seen them in person but plan on checking them out before the weather gets warm.

SWOHTR

WKR
Duluth Trading Company.

And yes, muscle is out of style, but man buns aren't...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Thanks guys
I'm feeling better about the Duluth Trading Co pants that I ordered this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you bought some but I'll throw it out there anyway. Dickies work jeans from Walmart. There is a few styles, the carpenter jeans are a normal cut. Some break in required but pretty comfortable after that. I like the weird green color, looks great outdoors and still my favorite pants for sagebrush.

oldgoat

WKR
Sounds like you bought some but I'll throw it out there anyway. Dickies work jeans from Walmart. There is a few styles, the carpenter jeans are a normal cut. Some break in required but pretty comfortable after that. I like the weird green color, looks great outdoors and still my favorite pants for sagebrush.

These are what I buy, but there seems to be about four sizes difference between the 34s and 36s especially in the blue jeans, the brown and green ones fit better!

OP
L

LostArra

WKR

thanks
I'm always up for other options. Plus I can try them on at Walmart.

OP
L

LostArra

WKR

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What has happened to men's work pants?
Is comfort now a secondary issue?

Just trying to replace some canvas work pants for outdoor activities like brush hogging and tilling I've had to wade through "updated fit", modern fit, low rise, trim fit, just off natural waist and even "Broadway fit" which all translates to skinny legged hip huggers with butt hanging out after any movement that could resemble work.

I'm not an unusual shape, weight or height (5'10" 175 lbs, 33" waist) and I wonder who they make these pants for? Obviously no one who has ever done one set of squats or plans to bend over sometime during the day.

I completely agree.

Just got my first pair of Duluth Fire Hose pants, and they fit absolutely perfect. I actually got the logger ones for walking in the brush, and they are little heavy for work pants, but I am contemplating a pair of the regular Fire Hose ones now too..

I have a couple pairs of Wranglers from Wal-Mart too that fit fairly well and aren't too "skinny".

oldgoat

WKR
Ryan Avery said he found some skinny jeans he likes in one of the podcasts, maybe he can chime in with pics and specifics;-)

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
Thanks to all who recommended the Duluth Trading Co pants. They restored my faith in comfortable work pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the dry on the fly flex pants and hated the pockets. Wierd because the non-flex dry on the fly pants pockets are fine.

Recently I bought some of the Prana Zion pants people rave about and I love them. I doubt I will wear the Duluth pants for much other than working outside now.

Jauwater

WKR
Yall wear expensive work pants. Comfort does go along way in the work field though, I get it.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
I work construction and switched a few years ago over to dickies. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. They are lighter, cooler and last longer than jeans. There are numerous styles and they are cheap. I've heard a lot of great things about the duluth pants but they are a bit pricey .

JigStick

WKR
The regular Duluth fire hose pants are much heavier than the "flex fire hose" ones. The flex fire hose material is lighter and has more stretch to it. I've worn them in 70-80 degree weather. I wouldn't say they are any more hot than a pair of jeans. I will agree that the regular fire hose ones are heavy, so I wear those I the winter.