Whats in the truck?

rbljack

WKR
just finished watching a randy Newberg youtube video on what he brings/keeps in his truck when traveling on a backcountry hunting trip.

I carry some of this stuff, but took some quick notes and added other items that I carry and put this quick list together. Even though this is a backcountry hunting site, we all gotta get to the trailhead in something right?? LOL...Seeing how this is mostly the off season, I thought it might be a good time to start a posting and see what everyone carries/keeps in the trucks for the hunting season, emergencies, etc.

Should be an interesting topic that we can all learn from. Here is what I have put together so far. Keep in mind I don't carry or have all this stuff, but I do have some of it. Please expand on the list for items that you carry or keep in yours and maybe we can put together a pretty comprehensive list that each person can view for reference. Of course, we wont all carry the same kit items, but doesn't hurt to see what everyone does carry and get ideas. keep in mind I threw this list together in about 10 minutes based on the You Tube video, and then went off memory for items that I have in my truck, and combined the two. Anyways...here is what I came up with. Look forward to hearing what can be added.

Truck Kit items

Skid Plates Aftermarket Front Bumper with winch mount, or receiver (or both).
Winch, recovery straps, etc
High lift jack with base, etc
A cpl sections of 2x10
Sand Ramps (Maxtrax recovery boards)
Shovel
Axe/Saw
Come along
work gloves
Fire Extingusher
Chains for all 4 tires
Small tarp and rope
4 way lug wrench
Two hitches with balls
Trailer Plug adapter
Two spare tires/rims
Quality tire Gauge
Tire Deflator kit
Portable compressor/tire Plug Kit
Battery Pack/Jumper Pack
Tool Kit
Road Flares
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Zip ties
Spare Fuses
Extra Wire
Extra Fluids
Spare Serpentine Belt

TP
Drinking Water
Wet Wipes
Headlamp
First Aid Kit
Rain Gear
Cheap Sleep Bag
Cheap Stove or sterno?
Water purification
Fire Starters
Snacks
Game processing Kit (knife, bone saw, some rope, gambrel, etc)

Last edited:

ChrisS

WKR
I have a army surplus wool blanket, a socket set, tire pressure gauge, a leatherman, flashlight, some nitrile gloves, a double-bit axe (sometimes), some flagging tape, duct tape, two tow straps, a couple of ratchet straps, zip ties, and some matches.

And most of that is in there because I'm too lazy to take it out.

ETA: and a first aid kit.

elkyinzer

WKR
What can't you get out of with a tire chains, a high lift jack, some cable, and a shovel? If you carry all that stuff listed and ever use 1/4 of it, you're doing some very serious offroading, and probably not very good at it, at that. Edit: well, I guess there are a lot of common sense items on there, like fuses, tape, pliers...way to actually read the list ya jagoff!

ScottinPA

WKR
From experience last fall, a good fiberglass handle axe or better yet a good saw. Half way thru the first blowdown coming out from a trailhead at night and the head separated from handle taking some handle with it. Folding trim saw got me thru the first but not the next 6 so I was done. Luckily I contacted a local with my InReach and he showed up with a pair of chainsaws. Took about another hour to get out.

I know when we went turkey hunting in Southern IL we always had a chainsaw with us to clear blow-downs.....Not something I would leave in my truck 24/7....but if you know you are going to be taking some trail roads that haven't been used it might be worth throwing it in there.

Other than that...I usually have
Jumper Cables
tow strap
small toolbox with assorted pliers, hammer, screw drivers, hatchet, fuses
socket set
Wool Blanket
Road Atlas
Snow Shovel
Car Bug Out Bag with Ammo, water straw, lighter, multi-tool, 550 cord, MRE meal, work gloves, flashlight

And probably some other crap I forgot or even realize I have

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Standard truck repair kit.

Electrical tape
Basic tool kit
Tow rope with d-rings
Shovel
Small axe
Saw.
Come along whinch
Rope
Chains, maybe.
Lots of blow downs that can block the trail.

For me.

Down throw blanket x2
Water
Snacks
Fresh clothes bag for coming off the trail.

Sounds crazy if you have your pack to live out of with you. Different situations have determined my list.
Hunting checker board land I was pretty much forced to drive alot. Nasty trails make stuff break. Did a front brake job in the snow once after pads cracked, they weren't even halfway worn.

rayporter

WKR
i admit i have nearly all of that -but i have a trailer.

i learned early that food,sleeping bag, shovel, tools, and tire chains were good to have.

Opah

WKR
For Me, make sure the spare is good, that I have a jack and lug wrench, Brake, oil and trans fluid, the last serpintine belt I replaced, solar trickle charger and a E kit with flares, jmper cables ect., all but the tire in the cab. In the bed a fire axe, shovel, saw, tow straps, my truck has a receiver front and back and my whinch can plug into the truck or run off of its own battery.
Seem the more you take the more there is to steal, try to keep it to a minimum

WKR
Good thread. My dodge is full of stuff, like the poster above, because I just never got around to taking it out.

New truck has nothing. I need to put an oh shit kit together for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
I try to keep my hunting rig outfitted for emergencies, and at least a couple days worth of supplies if I happen to get stuck on the mountain. Here is what I carry in my truck. My rig is a 92 Ford Ranger extended cab with a cap on it, which has been the perfect little truck for me. I have gotten pretty creative with storage, and am able to get all this in there without losing any seat space and still have access to most of the truck bed.

Tools and stuff:

Spare Tire
Telescoping Lug Wrench
Basic Tool Set (sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, etc)
Hi-Lift Jack
Wheel Bearing Socket (I've had problems with wheel bearings coming loose on this truck)
Tow Strap
Shovel
Chopping Axe
Hatchet
Chainsaw, gas, and tools/sharpener
Tire Chains (seasonal)
A Couple quarts of oil and tranny fluid (she has some leaks)

I keep an extra set of sleep system items in the truck at all times, so I don't have to pack all of my camping gear if I'm just going up on the mountain for a day hike/hunt. Its also nice if you pull up to the trailhead late at night and can just crash in the truck bed without having to unpack all your gear and re-pack the next morning, or if you are making a trip to haul out meat and end up needing to spend a night at the truck before heading back up.

0 Degree Sleeping Bag
40 Degree Sleeping Bag (for my dog, or extra padding)
Sleeping Pad
Extra blanket (aka dog towel and seat cover for muddy dogs)

Survival Stuff:
3-4 MRE's
5 Gal Jug of water
Fishing Pole and few basic pieces of tackle
12 Gauge Pump
Box of 12 Gauge Bird Shot
Box of 12 Gauge mixed slugs and buckshot
Box of 9mm and 44mag (covers whichever pistol I may be carrying)
Firepaste
Lighter
Firesteel
Fixed Blade Knife
Spare Binoculars
Extra Set of Quarter Bags
TP & Wet Wipes
AA batteries (for trail cams)

If it is hunting season, I'll also carry spare arrows or ammo for the rifle I'm using and a portable bow press.

It seems like a lot of stuff, but honestly does not take up all that much room and is worth the piece of mind. Whenever I get the chance I can just grab my pack and go, knowing I've got what I need in the truck to survive for at least a few days if the SHTF.

vanish

WKR
Actually seems like a pretty reasonable list to me. I wonder how many people read the whole list or just gawked at the length of it? Most all of that stuff will fit in a single rubbermaid or under a seat.

Looks an awful lot like Randy's truck list ;)

I don't have a trailer, so I don't carry those items. One thing I have that we use the crud out of is an inverter. Charge ALL THE THINGS.

We also carry more cooking gear. Not all the time, but whenever we're going on a trip. Its nice to be able to just throw up the coleman stove and make a pot of coffee or heat a burrito or something.

jmez

WKR
I don't put anything extra in mine. I have a tow strap, jumper cables, 2 clevis hitches, handyman jack and a 4 way lug wrench.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure I'll have to add some things once I'm a full-time Colorado resident like snow chains and a good chain saw.
But right now:
12k Warn Winch
on board air and plug kit (lot of thorns here)
hardwired inverter to charge batteries and what not
2 tow straps with 2 extra shackles (I have 4 on my truck attached all the time that i coated in bed liner to keep the noise down)
large chain
hi lift jack, jumper cables, lug wrench
tool box with recharge drill and impact. couple pair of fencing pliers and normal assort. tools
roll of gaucho wire and roll of slick wire (it's a Texas thing)
couple t-post (for fence or if i get stuck in the middle of pasture with no trees)
assorted nails, steeples, t-post clips, and insulators.
tpost driver
60ft ranch rope
AR platform rifle cause you never know when you're gonna see a hog or coyote.

Last edited:

541hunter

WKR
If towing a trailer, I would definitely recommend an extra hitch like the op had on his list. We had one stolen at the trailhead a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Tow strap & shackles
Jumper cables
Come along
Short handled shovel
Bow saw
Wool blanket
Roll of aluminum foil
Machete
An old wire framed, roll up cot
5'x7' nylon tarp
10'x12' tarp
Can of condensed milk
MRE
Gallon of drinking water
Mora companion
Take down .22 carbine
2 chemlights
6 big lighters
50' of paracord
2 cans of sterno

All of that lives in an 18"x18"x30" tote in the bed of my truck (under the camper shell)
The Wife thought it was a little paranoid/excessive until I got stranded in a Florida forest for 2 days.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Like I said in the original post, I don't have ALL of that stuff, but I probably do have about 2/3 of the stuff listed in there whenever we travel, go on a hunt trip, or go fishing down on padre island out on the beaches. That list is meant to be the emergency items only, the stuff that would stay with the truck, or get us out of a recovery situation, etc.

It does sound like a lot, but TRUST me, what can go wrong.....just might. Those roads to the trailheads aren't so easy to access when the mountains dump a foot of snow on ya...or even worse, 2" of solid ice!! Or you get back to the trailhead to go home, and your battery decided to be completely dead. OR, you are 45 miles down the beach and its high tide, and your running in the deep sand, and you get stuck AND have a flat tire. Its not likely that somebody will be driving by anytime soon to help ya out on a Sunday evening... so yes, I try to go somewhat prepared....LOL.

That list isn't in my truck everyday, but some of it is. If we are going on a trip, hunting, fishing, etc and will be on an adventure, over 2/3's of that list IS in my truck....you bet!