Winterkill Ethics????? I have a dilemma

slick

WKR
Just another thought is that the state always has auctions for poached animals, roadkill, etc. skulls, antlers, ivory, pelts. Could always take it in to them if you decide to do the donation route. Would take some work out of your hands as far as trying to get rid of them. They also might like to know how many critters met their demise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Randy, don't do it man. Leave well enough alone, especially that lone shed.

Where is this exactly btw?

Skulls in New Mexico are considered property of the state. I believe you can make arrangements to take possession legally of skulls you've found however. Sheds are legal. There's no mention of ivories that I'm aware of. Check the proclaimation for your state and see what the regs are before you put yourself in a compromising position.
The Game department was auctioning off skulls at the outdoor show last weekend, so even by gathering them up for your state's game department, they might be able to generate revenue for conservation.

Fully legal to take them in Idaho. Agreed with others if that you're not pushing already taxed animals, go get them! Can't wait to see the pics. Hopefully this winter puts a dent in the wolf population as well.

What region of Idaho are you in ? I know here in the Sierra were getting HAMMERED this winter. I see no problem with collecting the remains .

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMG_3296.jpgIMG_3298.jpgIMG_3299.jpgIMG_3300.jpgIMG_3301.jpgSo, I was able to go up and look around this afternoon. What I found is that nature is indeed cruel. It looked like they lived in this area all winter as there was literally no where else for them to go and the ground was just pounded with elk droppings and all the brush was eaten including small trees. Very gaunt carcasses and every yearling had its head either tucked in or bent backwards along the back. Not sure what that is all about and two yearlings and one cow were found all together. I found over 20 dead, mostly yearlings, 3 cows and 2 bulls. I recovered the horns and got several sets of ivories and it all felt okay other than just being sad. These photos are all of different elk and of the vegetation they ate.
NOW for the GOOD news..............................I was able to see over 100 head alive and well across the drainage about 2 miles away and about 1000 foot up. All looked good and were feeding on the south slopes. Hooray!

Randy

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
That's sad to see. There is a spot in MT I hunt that is well used winter range, we usually find a couple winter kills. I hope we don't find anything like what you're seeing this year.

It is interesting that there are so many dead elk in an area that already has no snow. Elk can handle some serious snow. Wonder if it isn't something else that got em? Looks like some Banks country to me.
There was a huge winter kill in the late 80's when I was a kid and around there. It basically wiped out the animals and they never really recovered in that area. We went ice fishing up at Cascade and there were hundreds of dead animals along the highway.