Kudo's Gritty Bowmen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Quit listening to the podcast several months ago. Seems like they spent half the time addressing their "haters", preferred the early ones when they stuck to gear.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I pretty mcuh stopped listening to them a while back as well. I just didnt find them all that entertaining. Some of their earlier podcasts were great, but I think the last episode I listened to several months ago, they were discussing wearing matching camo and saying they didnt like certain clothes because it didnt make them look cool, or something to that effect. I'm mainly listening to MeatEater and JRE the most

BuckSnort

WKR
I almost unsubscribed this morning. I don't mind them having sponsors, we all need to pay bills but it got to the point every podcast was another informercial. I don't mind hearing about a guys products but keep the podcast about his hunts.

I'll send friends the GOOD podcast when I come along them that I think are worth a listen.

LOL dude have you seen you're signature line?

Attachments

• 0222171143.jpg
    0222171143.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 353

BH107

FNG
I think it takes away from their credibility some if they do review the Sitka gear. They are now paid to sell their sponsors product. I'm sure they will still be honest, but you definitely aren't going to hear them review a new jacket from anyone else and say it blows the Sitka away even if it is fact.

At the end of the day it is a business, but the infomercial vibe will drive people away when you are pushing sponsors more than the actual hunting.

I think it takes away from their credibility some if they do review the Sitka gear. They are now paid to sell their sponsors product. I'm sure they will still be honest, but you definitely aren't going to hear them review a new jacket from anyone else and say it blows the Sitka away even if it is fact.

At the end of the day it is a business, but the infomercial vibe will drive people away when you are pushing sponsors more than the actual hunting.

It's a little early to say any of this. Knowing Aron as I do, he wouldn't participate in any sort of sponsorship if they were going to filter him (he has a hard time doing this himself). Did you even listen to this episode? Aron said (and I have witnessed it) that he will tell someone they don't need a Kifaru if they don't need it. I guarantee he gets more money from Kifaru than any other sponsor they may have. He's a straight shooter and that's partially why this site is what it is today. He just wants to use and review gear; he doesn't care for the politics of it.

So far the only infomercial vibe I have ever gotten from the show was unintentional and for stuff that I'm pretty sure they aren't/weren't getting payed to promote. They would have a long way to go before they got to the product placement and infomercial feel of some of the Hushin episodes.

Might be kinda boring to throw a shirt off a cliff... Maybe we can dress a dummy in both FL and Sitka and throw it off a cliff and see what ends up in better shape.

Being a dummy, I'll volunteer to be the kuiu person.... mostly because they didn't participate :D and opt'd out

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
When is Aron going to chime in on what color underwear he's wearing today like the last thread?

When is Aron going to chime in on what color underwear he's wearing today like the last thread?
I hope it's red-plaid cause that's what I'm wearing today. If its its not I'll go home and burn this pair. Hopefully I can be an honorary Gritty Bowmen today. Or an Aron leg humper......

Gumbo

WKR
I like the Bowmen when there is some good entertainment value involved, the banter between Aron and Brian can be great, definitely a good team. And Aron knows his gear, if he says it is good, it is likely good. But at the end of the day I just want some hunting related entertainment, which is what they provide on some of their episodes. I will just not watch the infomercials unless it is a product I am interested in.Unfortunately I don't think any "reviews" can be completely unbiased when sponsorships are involved. I think that people develop pseudo "relationships" with public figures, like the Bowmen, and then feel let down when they feel like they have been betrayed or misled by them. At the end of the day they are just people trying to walk a fine line between doing what they love, making a buck, and maintaining their integrity. I tried doing just that for a while in freelance fly fishing writing and it is very difficult, so I quit contributing to magazines.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
This is what is wrong with modern day hunting. It's turned into fashion and branding and whining. Who gives a shi.t what someone wears. This shouldn't even be a discussion it's pathetic.

Retterath

WKR
BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!! Some people saying I listened to the GB podcast and now don't cause its not as good as it use to be,now I listen to so and so!! Who gives a shit who you listen too, pick the best one that suits you and quit bitching. Most people that complain and are haters and have nothing good to say or criticize some is because they are jealous. Give Brian and aaron some credit, I think they do a great job and are willing to help out anyone that needs advice. Why don't we just let them do there thing and respect what ever sponsors they want and enjoy there job and hunting lifestyle.

Stickinit

FNG
I give Brian all the credit in the world. He decided to leave his "Office Space" job and do something he loves. Gotta respect that. Now, he's at a point where (like he said), it's either the listeners coughing up cash for a podcast, or having sponsors pick up the tab.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!! Some people saying I listened to the GB podcast and now don't cause its not as good as it use to be,now I listen to so and so!! Who gives a shit who you listen too, pick the best one that suits you and quit bitching. Most people that complain and are haters and have nothing good to say or criticize some is because they are jealous. Give Brian and aaron some credit, I think they do a great job and are willing to help out anyone that needs advice. Why don't we just let them do there thing and respect what ever sponsors they want and enjoy there job and hunting lifestyle.

That would be too reasonable and logical. I've never been more embarrassed to be a man. I just can't wait to see all the photos of the knitted sweaters they've made sitting around like a bunch of old women talkin shit about "Beatrice" from across the street.

Not sure if I will be adding anything new to this discussion, but I thought I would share my views.
1. If you have listened to a good amount of the GB podcasts, or all of them as I have, some multiple times, I don't know how anyone could see Aron and Brian as anything but honest and credible sources of information, regardless of sponsorship. They seem to go out of their way to be transparent in their dealings while offering a wealth of information to hunters like myself with limited funds and a desire to get the most out of my hunting time. From the beginning, when reviewing types of gear, Aron especially has always pointed out quality alternatives even if they are not his preference, like some of Kuiu's gear. I get the impression that if he was told that he could only talk well of a specific brand or was told he had to limit his discussion of other products, that he would tell that sponsor to go eat sh@!.
2. I am one of those who love listening to gear reviews and learning about gear options. I don't really care what brand it is, but if I can hear someone I trust discuss a system that works for my style of hunting and why, it can save me a lot of time and money in the long run. So, if they want to do review on Sitka gear that lets me know the best system they have found for hunting elk in September, how well it fits, what kind of durability I can expect etc, I am more than happy to hear it even if they are getting paid.
3. Those guys put in a ton of work and deserve to be compensated for it. As long as they are not promoting crap and selling out to the highest bidder, I will support them and most likely purchase from or at least consider the products they are promoting because I know they value quality more than any other factor. If you can name a product they promote that is not considered top notch, I would love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.