Kudo's Gritty Bowmen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked that Gritty Bowmen came out and addressed their sponsorship stuff. I think that's how they should have handled it to a t. Some stuff that was said about them a few weeks back were untrue and unfair. I figured since I started the post that turned into Gritty bashing (even though that's not what I meant to do, I did start the thread to talk about gear though) that I needed to be the first guy to come out and say thanks for bringing it up in a classy way. Keep doing your thing guys. I love your podcast and will keep listening as much as I can :) stay Gritty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it said in a podcast? Because I'm sure a lot of people already unsubscribed so a link may be helpful.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked that Gritty Bowmen came out and addressed their sponsorship stuff. I think that's how they should have handled it to a t. Some stuff that was said about them a few weeks back were untrue and unfair. I figured since I started the post that turned into Gritty bashing (even though that's not what I meant to do, I did start the thread to talk about gear though) that I needed to be the first guy to come out and say thanks for bringing it up in a classy way. Keep doing your thing guys. I love your podcast and will keep listening as much as I can :) stay Gritty!!

I guess we have different expectations of businesses then. I don't feel like it's anyone's business why they switched. Next, they'll be asking for disclosed income and contract specifics, so they can feel all warm and fuzzy. I've never understood hunters and their expectations of different hunting shows, podcasts, production companies etc... Maybe it's because they just see them as hunters, most people can't grasp the fact that they are indeed a business and operate as such so they can continue doing what they do. Blows my mind. I could understand questioning situations regarding legal decisions while conducting business (poaching, trespassing, failing to tag etc), but not how they pay the bills.

i was surprised just how much people seem to care what brand of clothes these guys are wearing. it seems like if Aron said he preferred hanes to fruit-of-the-loom there would be a lot of guys running out and buying new underwear.

i'm sure running that podcast is a ton of work so good for Brian for getting something back. If he wants to rep some companies he supports more power to him.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the reason I care, is that I have limited funds. Not so much about a reebok v nike following as much as it's the fact that I want to know what is the best gear I can afford and the different hunters that get in the field more often than I do have a lot to share. It's the same reason I'm on this forum.

can someone post the cliff's of why the switched?
purely monetary or?
I don't care either way.. I wear the hunting clothes I like to wear based on what I can afford/multi purpose.
I didn't want to wade through the drama of the other post, but now im just curious :confused:

patty59

FNG
At the end of the day it's just clothes. Who cares what they wear? I get the gripe that it's becoming kind of a commercial lately, so that's a legit complaint I suppose. But I find it fascinating that someone can actually make a living doing a hunting podcast.

Randle

WKR
At the end of the day it's just clothes. Who cares what they wear? I get the gripe that it's becoming kind of a commercial lately, so that's a legit complaint I suppose. But I find it fascinating that someone can actually make a living doing a hunting podcast.
This is where I have been with it, it can actually pay to have a podcast? Well if thats the case then more power to them, I dont wear Sitka bacause of the price and they wear it for free and it is good gear. Yes I know the hours behind the scenes are the pay. so they do pay for it. I think some were wondering about the relationsjip with FL and owners, and they talked about that as well.
I see Randy Newberg , who I respect very much, plugging for Mystery Ranch , and others and it doesnt seem to bother his audience. It is what he uses and likes. Corey Jacobsen has switched from Tenzig to EXO mountain , again different product and no big deal.

R_burg

WKR
I got into this hunting podcast world about 6 mo's ago. I like the Gritty Bowmen, but I like others too. They are definitely not my favorite.

I am confused why they are seen as standing out from the other podcasts as a beacon of truth, per se, as I have read on here. I dont see that at all.

ChrisS

WKR
i was surprised just how much people seem to care what brand of clothes these guys are wearing.
Obviously people do care otherwise clothing companies wouldn't be sponsoring people who attract lots of eyeballs. Nobody gives a crap what I wear because I'm a nobody. I value what people like Aron say about outdoor products because I can't afford to A) buy everything to test and B) spend that much time testing gear. So if he gets a few bucks or free samples for plugging gear he trusts, fine, but just be honest about it. "Yes, I got this for free to test and I really like it compared to X because ..." or "Yes, they're a sponsor of the show and we have a personal relationship. I like their gear and here are some of my thoughts about why it works for me, but may not work someone else...".

Ultimately, whatever "The Gritty Bowmen" is determines how sponsorships should be viewed. If it's just entertainment, then who cares? If the goal is provide an honest expert opinion, then who's paying for it is a legitimate concern because it can muddy the waters. If someone is beholden to a sponsor then they may not be as forthcoming about what their opinion is.

A lot of hunting shows are unwatchable because they're the equivalent of a NASCAR driver - nothing but fluff and logo stickers. "You just blow this here call and spray this magic pixie dust on the ground and the big bucks come running. And this stuff really works! Just send $19.95 for shipping and handling for a free sample. When we return we'll discuss what you can do when you're overrun with 150 inch whitetails from using [insert product here]."

Kilboars

WKR
I almost unsubscribed this morning. I don't mind them having sponsors, we all need to pay bills but it got to the point every podcast was another informercial. I don't mind hearing about a guys products but keep the podcast about his hunts.

I'll send friends the GOOD podcast when I come along them that I think are worth a listen.

can someone post the cliff's of why the switched?
purely monetary or?
I don't care either way.. I wear the hunting clothes I like to wear based on what I can afford/multi purpose.
I didn't want to wade through the drama of the other post, but now im just curious :confused:

They never actually said why exactly, more along the lines of they're all good clothes so why does it matter. Yes we get free stuff and get payed for repping certain companies and why shouldn't we especially if we believe in them. They are both great clothing companies, so do what's good for you.

Reading between the lines it was a monetary decision. But their point was that Sitka vs First Lite is not a step down or up but a step sideways and more of a preference decision. Aron also made the point that he ran Sitka a lot before Gritty Bowmen.

I almost unsubscribed this morning. I don't mind them having sponsors, we all need to pay bills but it got to the point every podcast was another informercial. I don't mind hearing about a guys products but keep the podcast about his hunts.

I'll send friends the GOOD podcast when I come along them that I think are worth a listen.

The problem is that while you want to hear a podcast about hunts, there is a very large segment of the listeners that are tuning in for the gear reviews and recommendations from Aron. If I were to give Brian one recommendation from this it would be to separate it into 2 podcasts to avoid the issues with this since his response in the past has been for you to just listen to the podcasts that interest you.

Obviously people do care otherwise clothing companies wouldn't be sponsoring people who attract lots of eyeballs. Nobody gives a crap what I wear because I'm a nobody. I value what people like Aron say about outdoor products because I can't afford to A) buy everything to test and B) spend that much time testing gear. So if he gets a few bucks or free samples for plugging gear he trusts, fine, but just be honest about it. "Yes, I got this for free to test and I really like it compared to X because ..." or "Yes, they're a sponsor of the show and we have a personal relationship. I like their gear and here are some of my thoughts about why it works for me, but may not work someone else...".

Ultimately, whatever "The Gritty Bowmen" is determines how sponsorships should be viewed. If it's just entertainment, then who cares? If the goal is provide an honest expert opinion, then who's paying for it is a legitimate concern because it can muddy the waters. If someone is beholden to a sponsor then they may not be as forthcoming about what their opinion is.

A lot of hunting shows are unwatchable because they're the equivalent of a NASCAR driver - nothing but fluff and logo stickers. "You just blow this here call and spray this magic pixie dust on the ground and the big bucks come running. And this stuff really works! Just send $19.95 for shipping and handling for a free sample. When we return we'll discuss what you can do when you're overrun with 150 inch whitetails from using [insert product here]."

you're right and i guess i shouldn't be surprised. i just find it strange when people get pissed off because they bought gear based a sponsored professionals opinion and then that guy changes brands and they somehow feel betrayed. it's not like first lite is now all the sudden unwearable trash because those guys switched to Sitka. if someone is looking for unbiased comparisons between gear brands maybe GB isn't the best resource.

Brendan

WKR
6dbb44dd7440c76b96a300e253b5aed4.jpg

patty59

FNG
Is there any wonder why Meat Eater is far and away the premier hunting podcast available?

It really is the best one going. He has some great guests, the information is second to none. Although I don't really listen to podcasts for gear reviews so maybe that's why I like it so much. I really enjoy to biology and conservation side of his podcasts. He's also a great speaker, Rinella is a guy you could just listen to for hours on end and I bet he could talk for even longer.

Gritty Bowmen is a good podcast too, I don't listen to all of them, mostly just the ones that interest me which helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.