60 Minutes on Remington Triggers

Bughalli

WKR
My wife and I watch 60 Minutes most nights as we eat dinner. It was interesting to see the Remington trigger issue/recall being covered. After the story this created some spirited debate on gun safety, the role of media, guns don't kill people or people kill people, etc. I'll admit 60 minutes told an intriguing, heart felt story of tragedies that no one should experience.

The next morning I saw the press release that Remington sent out, addressing the story line that 60 minutes told. I expected Remington to take the same story telling liberties, knowing the truth often sits somewhere in between, but I have to admit that when you read the details and how much legal process was followed on Remington's part, that 60 Minutes lost some journalistic credibility with me. Unfortunately they have a larger podium and sphere of influence on the average person, so I doubt they'll follow up with the facts. Such a shame, the national media is losing credibility more and more every day.

60 Minutes Story - The Remington 700 - 60 Minutes Videos - CBS News

Remington's Response - Remington Responds to 60 Minutes : The Outdoor Wire

The national media is a total joke, but this segment was enough to put my wife and MIL in a total panic. To people who are not intimately familiar with the design and operation of the trigger mechanism, or fully indoctrinated with safe weapons handling practices this was a terrifying TV segment. I was eventually able to reach a compromise where she let me keep my 700's, but I had to replace all the triggers. midway and timney made out great in that negotiation.

Kilboars

WKR
Stopped watching 60 minutes years ago.

All leftist propaganda as far as I can tell.

Hope the Trump administration continues to show the world of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Yeah, I swapped out my triggers as well, simply because I like Timney triggers. Of course my wife asked...."do you have Remingtons?" But it's interesting how much of an emotional ploy they took in telling the story vs having a few relevant facts in the issue. It's a shame.

elkyinzer

WKR
60 minutes is typically ok, one of the last bastions of decent investigative journalism in my eyes, but that was a real hack job. I fast forwarded through the rest of the segment about two minutes in.

On the main message the trigger situation is alarming and needs a look I suspect by all us owners.

As far as the dead kid.....you get in a fight with your brother, you take out a hunting rife and put in a live round and point it at him? Trigger defect or not, yes you go to jail! Typical "modern parenting". Lets sue somebody to caste blame away from our kids behavior.

elkyinzer

WKR
^
That's why I was fuming. You'd think as far as emotional fishing expeditions go they could have found more convincing bait than that case. Pathetic.

On the main message the trigger situation is alarming and needs a look I suspect by all us owners.

As far as the dead kid.....you get in a fight with your brother, you take out a hunting rife and put in a live round and point it at him? Trigger defect or not, yes you go to jail! Typical "modern parenting". Lets sue somebody to caste blame away from our kids behavior.

Pretty much.

so as someone that has seen the trigger malfunction twice on two different rem 700 it is an issue. however gun saftey was the bigger issue i saw in this story. the soldier is an idiot for loading the gun in the house and not understanding where his barrel was pointed. the boy is a murderer....bottom line...i was always taught never trust a saftey or trigger. know where your barrel is pointed at all times. and if you load a gun and point it at someone you should have accepted that your intention is to kill

Beendare

WKR
60 minutes....oh how far they have fallen.

Will these journalists ever figure it out that what the public wants is good old fashioned reporting without a political agenda?

Yeah Remington had a minor issue....but assuming the #1 most basic tenant of firearms handling.....no one gets hurt.

Leave it to CBS 60 minutes to turn this into a rant on guns....they are on my 'no watch' list.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Stopped watching 60 minutes years ago.
All leftist propaganda as far as I can tell.
Hope the Trump administration continues to show the world of this.

Another one who drank the kool-aid.

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
So what do you do if you have a Remington 700?

Swap it out for another one. I went Timney, pretty easy to do yourself. If you keep the stock trigger, just be aware of the potential issue, especially in cold temps. Safe handling goes without saying. All these cases would have been avoided if proper safe handling was followed. Maybe have a gunsmith check it or do some deliberate testing in a safe environment. Why not. Or reach out to Remington and provide your details (date of gun)...I believe they swapped out over 350,000 of them free of charge.

Swap it out for another one. I went Timney, pretty easy to do yourself. If you keep the stock trigger, just be aware of the potential issue, especially in cold temps. Safe handling goes without saying. All these cases would have been avoided if proper safe handling was followed. Maybe have a gunsmith check it or do some deliberate testing in a safe environment. Why not. Or reach out to Remington and provide your details (date of gun)...I believe they swapped out over 350,000 of them free of charge.

I checked the serial number of my gun on Remington's website and it says it is not one of the ones affected by the recall.

First, I am not saying there wasn't some shabby reporting.

The trigger issue has been going on for years, and when did the recall occur? What was necessary over what period of time for Remington to finally agree to the recall, or should I say be pushed into accepting that a recall was necessary/inevitable? I think that those answers may make some of you re-look at the accuracy and truthfulness of their response.

With that said, I took a newby with me this past deer season, he borrowed his fathers Remington, took it to the range, where he noted a trigger issue. He notified me, and I suggested that he check to see if it one on the recall list. Upon discovering that it was not among those listed for recall, he gave it a through cleaning, and seemed to fix the issue. Being safety conscious, I insisted that we climb up the mountain with our chambers empty (it was still dark anyway. After ascending the mountain and getting to where we were on ground much more conducive to not falling, slipping... I took his rifle, pointed it in a safe direction, and chambered a round, that instantly went off (no my finger was not on the trigger). Needless to say, for the rest of the hunt he carried around a large heavy stick with metal attached, with no rounds in the chamber, and no intention on attempting to chamber a round. We were simply down to one rifle between the two of us, mine.

After getting back from the hunt, he doubled checked to see if his rifle was on the recall list, it still wasn't. So I suspect that the recall will someday be broadened. The only questions are, what will it take, and how long will it take?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that manufacturing mistakes do happen, and they can be expensive to fix. But products that put lives at risk should be proactively recalled, and not have to go through a prolonged and arduous process. I have known more than one person that has requested a trigger replacement due to a faulty trigger, and they have been denied due to their rifles not being on the recall list; that simply is not a proactive approach that takes the value of life into account.