Should Western Hunting Expo take a stand for Public Lands?

Bughalli

WKR
Shouldn't Western Hunting Expo take a stand for Public Lands?

Sounds like the Western Hunting Expo was a huge success this year. It looks awesome and I hope to make the trip to attend some day. But it also got me thinking that this event is held in Utah. I follow the public land debate through Steve Rinella and Randy Newburg's podcasts, as well as BHA and others. I was happy to see consumer brands such as REI, Patagonia and others finally step up and speak out about public lands, specifically going after Utah since it appears to be a battle ground State for this issue. Huge props to them for taking a stance and leveraging the media to potentially move the Outdoor Retailer show. But it got me thinking....shouldn't the Western Expo be doing the same? Maybe they have and I just missed the rumblings, but I hope they do if they haven't already.

Press release on the success of the Expo this year - 2017 Western Hunting & Conservation Expo Continues To Break Records : The Outdoor Wire

Last edited:

ndbuck09

WKR
Did you read about the insanity on prices paid for hunt auctions there? And we aren't even told how much money is brought in from all the tags that people are putting in for in the lobby. Bottom line is, whether we as hunters want to face the facts or not, there is a split developing between those with great wealth and the everyday, hunt your own state and occasionally out of state guy. Utah is ground zero for this with all of their high end units, guys literally sending out armies to find and keep track of huge bulls for a couple high paying clients, and helicoptering around. Those with money would not be as greatly impacted from changes and sales of public lands. When you are talking about budgeting $20k plus a year for hunting, who cares if there's a 5% reduction in public land every year?? Those types just don't have that much skin in the game. Then you have the wanna be rich guys that walk around with puffed out chests just dreaming and wanting to be that "guy". I digress.

In the end, the show being in Utah is likely heavily influenced by the wealthier hunters among us and I really feel that deep down the Public Land issue is not as intrinsically important to them.

Well i think the expo should follow suit with the other outdoor companies. Utah can still have their expo for the rich, they can even call it that "hunt expo for the rich" but the companies are the ones that need to push for a different venue. The rich might buy Sitka, FL, KUIU, Kifaru, SG and so forth but so do I and alot of other people, and i bet there are more poor to middle class buying stuff from companies like that then the rich one per centers. After all why does a rich hunter need good clothes when he can he can pay for guide to hug him to keep him warm and hold an umbrella for him if it rains or snows. And lets be real those guys arent camping.. they stay at lodges..They dont need a good pack to pack in or out anything, they have people for that... there not hunting anyways in my opinion.

dotman

WKR
Doubt it ever moves, it's ran by SFW and they get a ton of tags to make a ton of cash to line their pockets plus they are not a friend to public land hunters so pretty sure they won't be taking a public land stance or moving.

Now I would love to see RMEF, BHA, WSF and SCI team up and put on an annual event that is always the same dates as the UT show that stands up for public land hunting. Make vendors decide which to attend, some would go to both but most don't have the resources to have a presence at two simultaneous events.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The show is in Utah because we front the majority of the auction tags. I think the day SFW finally pays off Idaho legislators and moves it's awesomeness there is coming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also the OR show is under contract for two more shows guess we'll see what happens after those. Talk is cheap right now

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NoWiser

WKR
You couldn't pay me to go to the expo and support SFW. Unfortunately, the chance of getting a good tag is more than many can resist. As long as the residents of Utah are willing to give their tags to the rich, that is where the expo will be held.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

dotman

WKR
I don't think it's a hate for people being rich, just when people try to take away a public item such as federal lands. I'm all for the rich spending a ton on tags but do believe that 95% or more of the funds generated should be put back into wildlife.

Previously 0% went back from the expo, now 30% is supposed to. RMEF tried to take over management and was going to give back 100% but UT kept SFW and decided 30% was better then 100%.

Sounds like the Western Hunting Expo was a huge success this year. It looks awesome and I hope to make the trip to attend some day. But it also got me thinking that this event is held in Utah. I follow the public land debate through Steve Rinella and Randy Newburg's podcasts, as well as BHA and others. I was happy to see consumer brands such as REI, Patagonia and others finally step up and speak out about public lands, specifically going after Utah since it appears to be a battle ground State for this issue. Huge props to them for taking a stance and leveraging the media to potentially move the Outdoor Retailer show. But it got me thinking....shouldn't the Western Expo be doing the same? Maybe they have and I just missed the rumblings, but I hope they do if they haven't already.

Press release on the success of the Expo this year - 2017 Western Hunting & Conservation Expo Continues To Break Records : The Outdoor Wire

The time for that would have been when RMEF and everyone else on the planet not named SFW got shafted last year. 30%>100% for wildlife... figure that math out for me.
If that debacle didn't get people to do anything I doubt the relentless assault on public lands by Utah that's going on for what, a decade at least, will sway anyone.

I'm not close enough to anyone who owns a business that goes, or I would call and ask them what's up. I assume just like any business their bottom line won't benefit more from not going then going.

Allegations of corruption surround Utah Hunting and Conservation Expo | KUTV

kifaru
stone glacier
mtn ops
1 shot gear
maven
phone skope
sitka

These are all sponsors of rokslide that attended the hunt expo, I am sure there are others as well. If any of the owners or operators look through this thread it would be interesting to hear their take on it. And by take I mean justification for attending an event that profiteers off public land hunters and Utah wildlife , while it's clear Utah couldn't give a shit about either.

It looks like First Lite did not attend this year?
If true bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NoWiser

WKR
I hope they move it... Closer to me. Idaho would be acceptable.

I will also say, there seems to be a lot of hate for the, "Rich." Money influences people, but there are a ton of rich people who help fund conservation efforts. If you want a great example, google Torstenson Family Endowment. Or just click this link >>> $30 Million Torstenson Family Endowment a “Game Changer” for RMEF Conservation

No hate for the rich, but do we really want to be a country where only the rich can hunt? SFW stole a lot of tags from the average hunters to sell at the expo, and that is not right. If they had their way, ALL tags would be auction tags and the rest of us would be left to hunt squirrels. (I do love squirrel hunting, but not more than deer or elk hunting.)

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's a hate for people being rich, just when people try to take away a public item such as federal lands. I'm all for the rich spending a ton on tags but do believe that 95% or more of the funds generated should be put back into wildlife.

Previously 0% went back from the expo, now 30% is supposed to. RMEF tried to take over management and was going to give back 100% but UT kept SFW and decided 30% was better then 100%.

I was trying to point to it not being a rich person pushing for this but a greedy person. Thanks for clarifying. Maybe we should come up with a name for them, like Land Grabber, Douche Nozzle or something like that.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Utah and I love living in Utah. And yep, I'm also opposed to any reduction in public lands, and I don't agree with the way it's being dealt with in Utah. I also involve myself in the political process and contact my representatives to let them know where I stand. So where does that leave me? Do I boycott my own state? Stop making any purchases in Utah so I don't contribute to the economy? Stop paying taxes? Should I change my mind and say I hate living in Utah because everyone here is a bunch of land grabbing idiots?

I can appreciate and understand making the choice to not deal with certain entities on principle. I do that frequently. I also choose to deal with and support certain entities because their values or qualities line up with my own.

It was mentioned above that certain Rokslide sponsors attended the expo. Well, don't forget that Rokslide, our gracious host for many great discussions on these forums, also attended the show. So what does that mean? Rokslide and many of its sponsors don't support public lands because they attended an expo in Utah?! If we're being consistent with the all the rhetoric about only supporting entities that support public lands, and boycotting everyone we think doesn't then I guess lets just close down the website and stop buying anything from our sponsors here because they didn't boycott a show in Utah.

I don't see that happening, and of course I wouldn't want that to happen. I guess what I'm getting at is things aren't always so cut and dry, and I hope that people realize that a state is not it's government, but a population of citizens within a boundary. That's it. I'm sure I could find a political or moral issue with every state in the Union that I don't agree with. Look at California. No respect for the constitution whatsoever. So if I'm looking for a recurve should I boycott Stalker Stickbows and South Cox?

Just some thoughts. To each their own. Like I said, I can understand people choosing to support or not support an entity based on principle.

topher89

WKR
Yes they should pull out. Utah is in direct opposition to the hunting industry at the moment. No public lands= no First Lite, Kifaru, Sitka, etc.....

Politicians respond to two things: public shame and loss of money. Pulling out could do both

Last edited:
I live in Utah and I love living in Utah. And yep, I'm also opposed to any reduction in public lands, and I don't agree with the way it's being dealt with in Utah. I also involve myself in the political process and contact my representatives to let them know where I stand. So where does that leave me? Do I boycott my own state? Stop making any purchases in Utah so I don't contribute to the economy? Stop paying taxes? Should I change my mind and say I hate living in Utah because everyone here is a bunch of land grabbing idiots?

I can appreciate and understand making the choice to not deal with certain entities on principle. I do that frequently. I also choose to deal with and support certain entities because their values or qualities line up with my own.

It was mentioned above that certain Rokslide sponsors attended the expo. Well, don't forget that Rokslide, our gracious host for many great discussions on these forums, also attended the show. So what does that mean? Rokslide and many of its sponsors don't support public lands because they attended an expo in Utah?! If we're being consistent with the all the rhetoric about only supporting entities that support public lands, and boycotting everyone we think doesn't then I guess lets just close down the website and stop buying anything from our sponsors here because they didn't boycott a show in Utah.

I don't see that happening, and of course I wouldn't want that to happen. I guess what I'm getting at is things aren't always so cut and dry, and I hope that people realize that a state is not it's government, but a population of citizens within a boundary. That's it. I'm sure I could find a political or moral issue with every state in the Union that I don't agree with. Look at California. No respect for the constitution whatsoever. So if I'm looking for a recurve should I boycott Stalker Stickbows and South Cox?

Just some thoughts. To each their own. Like I said, I can understand people choosing to support or not support an entity based on principle.

Them attending the show won't stop me from purchasing their products or boycotting them altogether, as like I said I understand business, but I think it would be nice to get a response to the question. If they say hey " we feel we make our nut at the show" then ok then. You seem to want to just give them a pass like it's nothing. I don't want companies to keep trumpeting the public lands, or wildlife conservation horn, but when it's financially beneficial they look the other way. I think it's appalling the outdoor industry can grow some balls and make a stand yet we as hunters can watch Utah and SFW STEAL from hunters and wildlife while laughing as they do it.
Utah chose an entity that will give back 30% of monies collected against RMEF that would have given 100%, PLEASE explain how that benefits conservation or animal habitat?

I am not saying those sponsors or rokslide don't care, because I know some of them do. How much? I don't know.

What I do know is if the expo continues status quo nothing will change, hunters and the animals of Utah will continue to get screwed over and over again.

Watch the dates change also..... Patagonia was already protesting before due to dates of the show. It's a zero revenue show for them. All their orders are booked before show...everyone has already seen line and orders are booked. So show doesn't do anything for them.

Texan this is literally the 5th time I've seen you say this, feel free to point me in the direction of Patagonia bitching and saying they were to pull out solely because of dates.

If you don't have one you sound like a dude with an axe to grind.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I hear you. Good points, and I agree that there IS stupidity going on here, just as you described. Believe it or not though there are a lot of good people/hunters/outdoor enthusiasts here that are trying to keep things in check. That's what I mean when I talk about Utah, the citizens are what make Utah and we're trying.