elk stampede-drone

mvmnts

WKR
I don't want to be a killjoy but I really hate drones, like really hate them. The footage you get from them is outstanding and I'm sure they're fun to fly, but if there are other people around, it's really rude. Here's one thing you'll never see, a drone video with actual audio. It'll be silent or completely dubbed with music, because they are absolutely obnoxious in person. Can't even lay in the park on a nice day and relax without having someone buzzing overhead with one. Definitely need to stay ahead of the curve on banning these things before they fall into common use.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah these morons are going to ruin it for the rest of us. I definitely agree with mvmnts on using them in public like that.. not a great thing to do. However for us that use them for film.. they can add a lot to a production and get some very cool wide scenic shots. But instances like this are going to ruin it for everyone trying to use them with good intentions.

Boreal

WKR
I'll start by saying I agree this was a dumb move, and the fine was appropriate. Those who fly drones have a responsibility to do so respectfully and appropriately. As far as the noise issue, people can and have said the same thing for decades about firearms, snowmachines, motorcycles, etc. the noise from a snowmachine highmarking will carry for miles across a valley. Each user should have respect for other users. Knee-jerk bans for one user group are not the appropriate response. Common sense rules for their use, however, are appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
What a weak fine! These people won't stop doing this kind of crap if they don't fine them enough to make them think otherwise in the first place.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a dickwad. They should have taken his car or whatever vehicle he was in just like a game violation.

Randy

You just can't fix stupid...but I bet if they would've given him the max fine he'd at least think twice before doing that again. I bet he spent more on his hotel while he was in Jackson than the fine cost him, which is a joke. How do they expect to get any message across by issuing such a weak fine???

Did anyone consider that this guy might have not intended to harass the elk and maybe he was just trying to get a cool aerial shot of the herd? It's unfortunate that the animals had extra stress at this time of year but how long did it take the herd to walk the half mile back to the hay pile? All I'm saying is that I can see where a person who doesn't know better could use poor judgement here. Obviously, whoever issued the fine went pretty easy on the guy and didn't think it was a real big deal.

But what the hell do I know? They should probably just hang his ass.

Ntgm37

Lil-Rokslider
Did anyone consider that this guy might have not intended to harass the elk and maybe he was just trying to get a cool aerial shot of the herd? It's unfortunate that the animals had extra stress at this time of year but how long did it take the herd to walk the half mile back to the hay pile? All I'm saying is that I can see where a person who doesn't know better could use poor judgement here. Obviously, whoever issued the fine went pretty easy on the guy and didn't think it was a real big deal.

But what the hell do I know? They should probably just hang his ass.

Finally, a voice of reason.

wyosteve

WKR
From the news article, the offender was from Wash. D.C. (which explains a lot in itself), but didn't know there was a ban on flying it there and was likely just trying to get an aerial shot. He made no attempt to hide or deny it and article says he was sincerely sorry. So sounds like an honest mistake which did cost him at least.

I agree with everyone above in that it should have been a max fine.

However, I am a drone owner. I really enjoy capturing footage of an area that you cannot get on foot. That being said, you need to be both considerate and smart about where and when you fly. I was just in Jackson a couple weekends ago and it would never cross my mind to fly over a wintering herd (I would think by next year they will have signs up not allowing drone flight over the preserve).

Drone owners need to self police what they do with our aircraft or they will get entirely banned or so restricted it will not be worth owning them.

should be a max fine and loss of hunting privileges.

I agree if it was a hunter and/or used to support hunting purposes. Sounds like this was just another cityot like the ones all over Yellowstone. This is an unfortunate side effect of the Yellowstone tourism industry and something Wyoming is going to have to deal with if they want all those tourism $$$.

As far as drones themselves, I find it hypocritical that the same people saying that a few idiots with drones justify completely banning their use in the wilderness are the ones who are the first to say that a few bad eggs with guns don't justify losing gun rights/privileges. And before you go down the rabbit hole that one is a constitutional right and one isn't; well Liberty is the original constitutional right so keep your nose out of it. I have never used a drone, but as long as someone is polite about it and not disturbing people, wildlife or creating a dangerous situation they should be able to use one to their heart's content.

For all you drone haters, here's a video of a bunch of tigers in a Chinese zoo taking one out.

[video=youtube;Nhe_cyrHNpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhe_cyrHNpI[/video]

OP
B
yup. DC explains alot.
but Pandora's box has opened wide for drones like a V on prom night.

yup. DC explains alot.
but Pandora's box has opened wide for drones like a V on prom night.

I'm not sure I get the Pandora's box reference here. It's already illegal to use them for hunting purposes in most states and it's also illegal to harass wildlife. A guy did the exact same thing with an ultralight a year or two ago (Wyoming Man Charged For Flying Ultralight Aircraft Near Elk Herd, Do You Agree? [VIDEO]). Just stupid people doing illegal things, has nothing to do with drones (also, the term drone is stupid because it implies some autonomy; all this they are is remote control aircraft which have been around forever).

The elk refuge is a disaster anyway. Disturbing a bunch of elk maintained at artificially high densities eating piles of artificial feed is sooo low on my list of things to care about....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk