Talk to me about Gaiters

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I'm getting my gear dialed in for a Colorado elk archery hunt. I see a lot of people recommend gaiters, but I have never used them before. The plan is to be up in the mountains for 7-10 days and hunt from a spike camp. Are the gaiters worth adding to my gear list? Thanks for any info!

Never wore gaiters until about 10 years ago. The first hunt my son and I wore them on, it was like the planets had aligned and our eyes had been opened to how great they were. Your legs stay drier, your pants don't snag on underbrush, you can quickly cross a stream without the risk of getting water in your boots, more difficult for ticks to get up your pant legs, etc. I wear them on all of my excursions into the mountains or desert, summer or winter, I even run trails with gaiters to keep crap out of my shoes.

SWOHTR

WKR
I use the Sitka Stormfront gaiters. Great product! Durable, tall, waterproof. Expensive but they are the LAST gaiters you will buy. Their retention system is great and keeps them from falling down your calf. I won't leave without them.

My wife loves them and she doesn't hunt nor like the camo pattern. She had some OR Crocodiles and she steals mine when not looking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I have a pair of Sitka gaiters, but I'm still a little on the fence about them. If it's warm out, then I rarely wear them b/c my socks will be drenched in sweat in pretty short order. Where I do think they excel is when it's wet out. Post rain shower or lots of dew on the grass. They will keep your lower legs (and boots and socks) dry when brushing up against low cover. But, they add about 1lb to the pack weight that I'm not sure I want to have for "just in case". This September I'll be running some 9" Kennetrek boots, so I'm not too concerned about debris or shallow stream crossings. I'm going to bring them with me and make a decision at the truck about putting them in my pack or leaving them there based on weather forecast and visible terrain. I've got 50/50 odds of being right!

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Thanks for the explanations. Sounds like they can be useful in some situations.

matthewmt

WKR
Big fan of gaitors, as mentioned above I use them in all seasons as well. I have a pair of kenetrek hunting gaiters they are quite but do slip down after a while (1-2") which isn't awful but can be annoying at times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Outdoor Research has been my gold standard. On my 3rd pair... never had a reason to switch. Great for the $$$. They will take a major A$$ kicking before they wear out. Tend to get warm though during those early September afternoons when it's nice and sunny.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought my first pair(OR Expedition Crocs) last year for my WY elk hunt. It snowed 10" on that trip, so they were a great purchase.

RoJo

WKR
Gaiters help me maintain my sanity when hunting in the desert in the fall. There and areas where the dead grasses and weeds are full of clingy, pokey burs and seeds that would otherwise embed themselves in your shoe/boot laces, socks, and pant legs, and drive you absolutely crazy.

Jauwater

WKR
As everyone stated, highly recommended. I'm using Hillsound Gaiters. I like em.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

If I'm in the woods, I've got mine on. I've had a set of black OR's for about seventeen years now and they are still going strong.

Beendare

WKR
Gaiters are an essential piece of equipment much of the time

In snow= a must

In wet weather= they work as a system to help keep your feet and boots dry....plus, no wicking of moisture down from your pants into your boots

In warm conditions= less of a need, a full size gaiter will heat up you lower leg and feet....a 1/2 light gaiter will keep stickers and other junk out of your boots

KurtR

WKR
I got the kennetreks and wont be with out gaiters again if i have to buy another pair i really like the sitka ones and how they fit

charvey9

WKR
I like gaiters, but don't take them on any backpack hunts. I find that if I need gaiters, rain pants are the better option. You will soaked walking through wet brush faster than anything, and gaiters only protect up to your calves. I don't want to carry both, and the rain pants are more versatile.

Stwrt9

WKR
i think a lot of factors go into whether or not you'll need them. they are an essential piece of my system if you are going to be crossing a lot of small streams. Last year in CO i used them in one unit and didn't in another unit it just depends. As Charvey9 stated rain pants might be a better option as i agree but gaitors will still be a much better option and needed if your going to be crossing creeks where the water might be able to get into your boots as rain pants won't really seal up in that area. So, weight your options, know the weather and your area and you'll be fine.

mvmnts

WKR
Do gaiters really keep water out of your boots in creek crossings? Wouldn't the water just rush up between the gaiter and the boot? The pair of boots I am settling on isn't quite as tall as I'd like, but I've never considered that gaiters would keep water from coming in the top. I guess maybe better than nothing, but seems like water would get right in there. I have a pair of OR FlexTex II gaiters right now, but I might get something taller if I start hiking in heavier snow.

Murdy

WKR
I was wondering the same thing, when talking about creek crossings, are we talking about wading in water that's over the top of the boot, or just keeping out occasional splashing?

charvey9

WKR
Do gaiters really keep water out of your boots in creek crossings? Wouldn't the water just rush up between the gaiter and the boot? The pair of boots I am settling on isn't quite as tall as I'd like, but I've never considered that gaiters would keep water from coming in the top. I guess maybe better than nothing, but seems like water would get right in there. I have a pair of OR FlexTex II gaiters right now, but I might get something taller if I start hiking in heavier snow.

You just have to run really fast. Remo Williams style.

They aren't going to prevent water from getting in if you stand in water thats over your boots for more than a few seconds, but the do a good job at preventing any oversplash getting in over the top and keeps the lower part of your pants from getting wet. It doesn't take long for wet pants to soak through to your socks, and next thing you know your boots are wet from the inside out.

wyodan

WKR
You just have to run really fast. Remo Williams style.

They aren't going to prevent water from getting in if you stand in water thats over your boots for more than a few seconds, but the do a good job at preventing any oversplash getting in over the top and keeps the lower part of your pants from getting wet. It doesn't take long for wet pants to soak through to your socks, and next thing you know your boots are wet from the inside out.

Ha, that movie rocks! Glad to see someone else has seen it too. I have crossed some pretty wide rivers with only my gaiters and have not gotten my feet wet. I always have a set with me, even if I am not wearing them at the time just in case of some weather or creek crossings. Not sure if someone else has mentioned this, but they also will keep your legs warmer by not allowing the warm air to be pumped out the bottom of your pants.