What saw?

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Bahco Laplander ended up doing the trick for us. Also have a Bob D for base camp that is fantastic.

Mike7

WKR
I got one of these based upon some recommendations here I believe (can find anywhere like Home Depot, etc), and this is a really good saw. And it is really easy to cut a hanging waist high blowdown tree from underneath with this saw, so there is not binding of the blade as the cut progresses like when cutting from above only.

Fiskars-18-in-D-Handled-Pruning-Saw

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used a lot of different saws and nothing to date outcuts Silky. I use their Pocket Boy with large teeth (you can get the blades, fully changeable, in a variety of tooth options) and carry an extra fine blade that works on bone

R Davis

FNG
I don't have a stove but check out Agawa Canyon. I have their Boreal 21 and it ended up being the MVP of a Boundary Waters trip.

sfischer

FNG
I just recently skeletonized a Wyoming saw the smaller version. A bullet proof design in a lighter version. I'm done with the foldable saws. They don't last.

Randle

WKR
I just recently skeletonized a Wyoming saw the smaller version. A bullet proof design in a lighter version. I'm done with the foldable saws. They don't last.

Do you have pictures of how much you "relieved " the Wyoming saw. I have been thinking king about doing that.

I have tried many different things for wood processing from hatchets and folding hand saws to the Gerber Gator JR (Machete/saw combo) to wyoming saws and nothing beats the Bob Destrude Quick Buck Saw. The problem with hatchets is that without carrying a 2lb hatchet I have not found one worth it's weight for wood splitting. The folding hand saws work okay but require quite a bit of time and effort. The wyoming saws work great but usually have smaller blades and are a bit of a pain to put together. The Quick Buck Saw gives you a full 24" blade for under a pound and it's all I carry for wood processing anymore (for a smaller stove batoning with a good knife might be necessary). Also uses an off the shelf saw blade, so replacements and keeping it sharp is not a big deal. The only complaint is that the handle isn't the most comfortable, but I plan on attempting some work with a dremel to fix that.

NmjZRs6UadwRdmFjxIXP8xR_mkYVvxP4C2Fz7O4He1qYD33QeKKg2AzGIw9FP8bZpcV3OvhdL88IvNn4oJ-kxhJSGE4sZ34VzTDozEvVRx2VlLD6-PGXrToTHAfS9GyJmdrmPuk=w1732-h974-no

2XaoIWbUTckpvj1mUsb4MBpkjYqB9bTSmSA6bldDCZHQ6X0rhKKIMk1I2mNITpjbU_IY3_kFR-K_Ej47JHgpRf4WLANX04wdWGKbCI6J4WT5AgjEWQ3-JZIXpVOasNU0jJAKxlw=w1732-h974-no

Hall256

WKR
Another vote for Bob Dustrude Buck saw...that thing works great, paired up with a knife to baton the wood and it works great for Ti stove

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The folding saw you get at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section. 10 bucks. Remember that it cuts on the pull stroke and you'll be fine.
This has been discussed on the forum before, but you're probably not going to be able to put anything more than wrist-sized (beer/pop can diameter) wood in your stove, so having a heavier duty saw isn't really necessary. For most of the wood you'll be using, you'll able to break it across your knee or snap it by laying it diagonally on a downed log without any danger of damaging yourself.
Buy one, try it out, and return it if you don't like it.

4ester

WKR
I would also like to see how you lightened your Wyoming Saw. Love the saw and it cuts great, but I rarely take it because it's so heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, if you want to cut thicker stuff and then split it, COlineman78's saw might be the way to go.

Agreed, I don't have a stove and use this primarily for campfires. A Coghlan Sierra Saw may be enough for half the weight and for $5 why not give it a shot. Especially if you are in an area where wood is plentiful. One thing I've found is that once I get up near treeline, especially in heavily used areas I have to get less picky when it comes to wood scavenging and do a little more work to make do.

I'll second the bahco laplander. I don't have a Ti stove but I use one for processing kindling, camp wood, and trimming trees for setting stands.