Questions Regarding Hunting Goat and Pigs on Kauai

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kauai is a special place for my wife and I, we got married there ten years ago this October. My lovely bride has expressed several times over the years that she would love to go back and renew our vows. We're finally in a position I can afford it so for her birthday this year she's getting tickets. Being savvy in the ways of negotiations, I'm going to tell her that I have a short hunt planned and I want her and the girls to come with me. She can't get mad at that right???:D

Searching through this forum and a few others looking for information on hunting the Kalalau Trail on Kauai, didn't reveal a whole lot. From what I've read, there is good/decent opportunity to hunt walk-in style for goats along the coast. It's archery only and doesn't seem to have a closed season. Sheep, Moose and fall Caribou will have just finished here in Alaska before heading down there so I'll be in decent shape and I can hold my own with a pack on. The heat may whoop me a little though.

I have a few specific questions if anyone has experience with the area:

Is there a guide that hunts the area? If so, what are their rates? I'm not opposed to paying, just didn't find anyone online.

Is goat meat edible in October, not sure when their rut is? If so, recipes please!

Is it feasible to be successful in a day or two? I'll be on the island for 7-8 days but I need to be a husband and Dad too.

Does anyone want to come??? I'd be happy for company, especially if you've got experience in the area. Meat would be split 50/50 if we didn't eat all of it while we're there.

Hunting | Guide to Kalalau

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ryan Sanpei would be the guy I would ask. He's on here, and lives in Hawaii.

bbell

WKR
Check out tradgang.com. It is a trad bow site but have a forum dedicated to Hawaii. A lot of information is from Sanpei but others put up their hunt experience as well.
Brandon

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
My son moved to kauai 1 1/2 years ago. He loves it there. Unable to get him hunting yet and am anxious to read what you get for info. My son lives on the north Shore in princeville. He would be available for free packing out help if you need him . He could also run your video , pm me if you get something lined up and I would be glad to have you contact him.

Beendare

WKR
I've done the trail twice...once with my wife...a buddy and his wife recreationally [a word?]...and once hunting. Both times many years ago. You will have to put your walking shoes on as its appx 13 miles in as I recall. Its muddy....and sad to see the amount of trash in one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Rainiest too...I think the mtn there gets something like 480" a year. You can hunt part way in bushwhacking up those ridges....they are very steep. You don't need a full kit like here in the lower 48 mtns....as its a mild climate...so no sleeping bag.

Pay attention to those tsunami poles....they are there for a reason...though pretty rare.

Get your hunting lic well in advance.

MY ANSWERS IN CAPS

I have a few specific questions if anyone has experience with the area:

Is there a guide that hunts the area? If so, what are their rates? I'm not opposed to paying, just didn't find anyone online. NO IDEA ON GUIDE, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ONE THAT WILL WALK THAT MUCH. THE GUIDED STUFF IS USUALLY ON PRIVATE.

Is goat meat edible in October, not sure when their rut is? If so, recipes please! MY LOCAL BUDDY RICKY B LOVED THAT GOAT MEAT....I LITERALLY THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HURL JUST FROM THE SMELL OF IT IN MY MOUTH....PICTURE CHEWING ON A URINE SOAKED BULL ELK HIDE.....THE HAWAIIAN SHEEP RUT IS IN THE SPRING [MARCH-ISH] THOSE GOATS MIGHT RUT YEAR ROUND- I'M NOT SURE.

Is it feasible to be successful in a day or two? I'll be on the island for 7-8 days but I need to be a husband and Dad too. NO BRO....IT TAKES A DAY JUST TO GET IN THERE

Does anyone want to come??? I'd be happy for company, especially if you've got experience in the area. Meat would be split 50/50 if we didn't eat all of it while we're there.

Hunting | Guide to Kalalau

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out tradgang.com. It is a trad bow site but have a forum dedicated to Hawaii. A lot of information is from Sanpei but others put up their hunt experience as well.
Brandon

Thanks for the site recommendation. Good info over there.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Be careful of drinking the water. It can carry leptospirosis. A filter won't remove it. You'll need a purification system."

This is some great information I got via PM that I hadn't thought of. I go through water really fast and I'd planned on just taking my Sawyer filter. No clue whether it'll take it out. I need to do some more reading when I have time but maybe a steri-pen needs to make the trip as well?

I've done the trail twice...once with my wife...a buddy and his wife recreationally [a word?]...and once hunting. Both times many years ago. You will have to put your walking shoes on as its appx 13 miles in as I recall. Its muddy....and sad to see the amount of trash in one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Rainiest too...I think the mtn there gets something like 480" a year. You can hunt part way in bushwhacking up those ridges....they are very steep. You don't need a full kit like here in the lower 48 mtns....as its a mild climate...so no sleeping bag.

Pay attention to those tsunami poles....they are there for a reason...though pretty rare.

Get your hunting lic well in advance.

MY ANSWERS IN CAPS
I went to UH for college and hunted a bit on several of the islands.

sanpei is a super helpful guy but Been answered ALOT of your questions. I have never herd of a guide in that particular area as its a much less fruitful endeavor then other places, most guides make money off access more then actual hunt contributions. unfortunately for you Kauai is my least favorite island as it is STEEP as SHIT and covered with jungle so i never spent alot of time there, sorry. I do know the Na Pali coast area holds quite a few pigs as well so be on the lookout for those. If your wife and girls don't enjoy being in the suck that may not be the area for you though. on the trail is fine but stepping off it can be a real task.

I personally like Lanai the best for public land hunting as that is the only place you can get on without a guide for axis although that hunt has passed already and Molokai if you plan on getting a guide.

here you can find all the public land hunting opportunities on all the islands: http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/files/2013/05/MammalHuntingRegs_Chap123.pdf

they also have individual hunt unit maps on their website along with google earth files for units as well.

I equate goats to ducks, I have had some that were great and i have had some that were down right awful. Although I have NEVER had an axis deer i didn't like.

It is feasible to be successful in a day or two but not in the area your looking at, now of course its always possible to catch one on the way in. i would say its a 5 day trip. if you cant give it that then maybe look for a new area or be cool with a nice hike in some beautiful country that you may get lucky in.

I grew up hunting the PNW jungles and thought i new what thick country was, well I was wrong. I have never been in thicker country then some areas of Hawaii, so keep that in mind as well.

Whatever you choose you will be in some of the most beautiful areas on the planet.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I would take that hike if you don't hunt. Looks beautiful and one of the top 10 most dangerous hikes! That mile 7 looks sweet. Check out the youtube vids if you haven't. Then ask your wife if she wants to take that hike with your girls......

I have hunted the Na Pali on the Kalalau trail twice. I am also planning to go again in March. both previous times I was successful in shooting goats. It is very "easy" to DIY, you just have to make sure you get all the necessary permits. Here is a break down of the permits, that luckily you can do online now.

First, you need a Letter of Exemption for Hunter Ed (free). then you can buy your hunting license ($95) and stamp ($10). You then need to call the Div of Forestry and Wildlife office on Kauai and talk to Larry (good source for hunting on Kauai). To hunt the Kalalau trail you need a unit G hunt permit (free limit 3 days) and a Goat stamp ($25). You can get these in person during the week, otherwise you can arrange with Larry to mail a money order for the stamp then He can send the permit and goat stamp to you.

The last thing is to get a Camping Permit. The Kalalau Trail is in a State Wilderness Park and camping is by permit only (can sell out) It costs $20 per person per night. The goats start about 5 miles down the trail and are more common from there to the 10 mile area. As mentioned it is hard hiking (like the tundra). The goats move more morning and evening as they work up and down the steep slopes. So you need to be 6 miles in at dawn and dusk.

As you mentioned I did this hunt as part of a vacation so I had limited time. I would typically hike in early afternoon and try to get to the 6 mile campsite with a couple hours of light to spare. Both trips I killed goats the same day I hiked in. The first trip the next morning my buddy and I got into multiple mobs of goats as well, and he got on a pig. The second trip I didn't get into goats the next morning. Both trips we hiked out the next day and got back to the trailhead late afternoon.

If I had more time staying 3 days would be great. There are NO salvage rules in Hawaii; I have given the meat to the hippy squatters out there, and unfortunately with how steep it is some animals have fallen off cliffs. Hawaii considers the goats and pigs non-native invasive species there and at times will allow Rifle hunts to cull the numbers every few years.

Definitely doable in 24 hrs but you will be sore and ready for a vacation after!

Last edited:
" Then ask your wife if she wants to take that hike with your girls...... "

To hike past mile 2 you are supposed to have a camping permit. I have taken my wife on the trail and it was tough going unless they are in excellent shape and used to Backpacking. To go the full 11 miles with the whole family I would say plan at least 3 days...

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have hunted the Na Pali on the Kalalau trail twice. I am also planning to go again in March. both previous times I was successful in shooting goats. It is very "easy" to DIY, you just have to make sure you get all the necessary permits. Here is a break down of the permits, that luckily you can do online now.

First, you need a Letter of Exemption for Hunter Ed (free). then you can buy your hunting license ($95) and stamp ($10). You then need to call the Div of Forestry and Wildlife office on Kauai and talk to Larry (good source for hunting on Kauai). To hunt the Kalalau trail you need a unit G hunt permit (free limit 3 days) and a Goat stamp ($25). You can get these in person during the week, otherwise you can arrange with Larry to mail a money order for the stamp then He can send the permit and goat stamp to you.

The last thing is to get a Camping Permit. The Kalalau Trail is in a State Wilderness Park and camping is by permit only (can sell out) It costs $20 per person per night. The goats start about 5 miles down the trail and are more common from there to the 10 mile area. As mentioned it is hard hiking (like the tundra). The goats move more morning and evening as they work up and down the steep slopes. So you need to be 6 miles in at dawn and dusk.

As you mentioned I did this hunt as part of a vacation so I had limited time. I would typically hike in early afternoon and try to get to the 6 mile campsite with a couple hours of light to spare. Both trips I killed goats the same day I hiked in. The first trip the next morning my buddy and I got into multiple mobs of goats as well, and he got on a pig. The second trip I didn't get into goats the next morning. Both trips we hiked out the next day and got back to the trailhead late afternoon.

If I had more time staying 3 days would be great. There are NO salvage rules in Hawaii; I have given the meat to the hippy sqatters out there, and unfortunately with how steep it is some animals have fallen off cliffs. Hawaii considers the goats and pigs non-invasive species there and at times will allow Rifle hunts to cull the numbers every few years.

Definitely doable in 24 hrs but you will be sore and ready for a vacation after!

You my friend are the MAN! Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for! Bump your vacation up, come in October haha.

I'll be leaving the girls at the beach while I do this, they're in great shape but not necessarily interested in my type of fun. My oldest would go in a heartbeat but a day trip over 10 miles starts to make her symptoms flare.

2ski

WKR
" Then ask your wife if she wants to take that hike with your girls...... "

To hike past mile 2 you are supposed to have a camping permit. I have taken my wife on the trail and it was tough going unless they are in excellent shape and used to Backpacking. To go the full 11 miles with the whole family I would say plan at least 3 days...

Mile 7 of Kalalau Trail - YouTube

This is what I was talking about. I don't know how old his girls are, but I would hesitate to take a young kid on this trail.

Mile 7 of Kalalau Trail - YouTube

This is what I was talking about. I don't know how old his girls are, but I would hesitate to take a young kid on this trail.

That's the WORST part of the trail and its not very long stretch, and hunting can be done before you even get there. Below is a better example of what you can expect.

Kalalau Trail 2016 - YouTube

I have seen videos and photos of people make that section in the pouring rain, not a risk that needs to be taken in my opinion, but in good weather its not terrible.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a ton guys, I'll run through the videos when I have time! Lunch breaks aren't long enough...

Beendare

WKR
Wow, $20 a night for camping there now. Good info tho WW...

That video of the 7 mile mark brings back memories. The year I was there with my wife corresponded to spring break at UH. We ran into a group of 10 coeds on that tight stretch of trail all hiking in their bikinis ...an impressive sight....so of course my buddy and I had to help those girls squeeze by...oh man my wife was ticked. A young single guy would have done well that week.....

Search kodi toulon on youtube him and his brother have some great goat hunting videos of the kalalau trail. I have some experience on the trail I'll respond in more detail when I'm home from work.

If I had more time staying 3 days would be great. There are NO salvage rules in Hawaii; I have given the meat to the hippy squatters out there, and unfortunately with how steep it is some animals have fallen off cliffs. Hawaii considers the goats and pigs non-native invasive species there and at times will allow Rifle hunts to cull the numbers every few years.

Didn't see this before, GREAT Post. I was unaware of the 20 dollar camping fee, is that newish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Search kodi toulon on youtube him and his brother have some great goat hunting videos of the kalalau trail. I have some experience on the trail I'll respond in more detail when I'm home from work.

I actually watched a few of their videos. I was assuming he's with Hunt Fish Kauai? I reached out to those guys but haven't heard back. Maybe a pig for my daughter, can't decide just yet.