Whats Better than Sitka clothing?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can buy whatever clothing and equipment I want, but if I was sitting down and designing my own elk hunting clothing from scratch........I doubt it would differ too much from Cabela's Microtex Lite for most of archery season, and their regular Microtex for the rest of the season. It functions exactly as I want it to. Throw in a micro fleece mock-T and my lightweight merino base layers, and I'm covered for archery season. Everything I've looked at from Sitka reminded me of a camo wetsuit. Of course I haven't looked much in a few years.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
What's 'better' than Sitka clothing?

That answer is completely subjective to each person, their uses, preferences and a variety of factors. Nothing is necessarily better or worse than Sitka Gear...I'm talking about the high-end hunting garment manufacturers only. I can find both positive and negative things to say about every clothing line I've ever owned. I bought the KUIU Merino Zip-Off Bottoms and they were an abhorrent fit for me...the worst thing KUIU ever made in my mind...BUT they are well-liked by a lot of users and that's all that matters. I received a Sitka Celsius Shacket and thought I would love it. I had it on for about 30 seconds and knew it wasn't ever going hunting with me. KUIU blew it on their first generation of the Tiburon Top several years ago...the sleeves were ultra tight and had no lateral stretch. They canned it and went back to the redesign. I had a very expensive set of Sitka rain gear years ago. The seam tape in the pants didn't hold up to friction and was rubbing loose in several areas. Bummer.

Ultimately buying high-end garments boils down to 75% research and 25% personal evaluation after it arrives. Everything I buy is done with the understanding I'm pretty sure I like it but it's going back if I am not satisfied completely.

Understood. I have a couple of those kuiu Tiburon tops and shake my head every time I put them on. I sold a sitka vest because the polyester made so scratching much noise every time I move or turn my head but the idea of the thread was to not have to buy so many pieces from different companies just to try on and ship back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really feel the quality the Sitka clothing line is first rate and I'm looking forward to trying out their new Subalpine line but wondering if there's any clothing comparable to the quality, fit and functionality of Sitka gear. My only complaint is that there cloth seems made more for rifle hunters hunting from a distance and not very quiet for up close bowhunting.

I own a lot of Kuiu cloths as well and they seem to still be catching up with Sitka. IMO

there are a lot of high quality choices out there...sitka has most broad specturm of clothes from a variety of game species to patterns

as far as comparable the first lite is right there....we are in the process of carrying kryptek as well which from the surface seems to be great stuff as well.

IdahoElk

WKR
Does anyone have first hand experience with SKRE Gear? I'm going to give their Hardscrabble pants a try.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have first hand experience with SKRE Gear? I'm going to give their Hardscrabble pants a try.
Couple people have tried the SKRE and they have a spring giveaway going right now. Couple threads about them wanting to try thier rain gear

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
x2 for sitka CS. They went above and beyond for me without any hesitation when I had an issue with one of their jackets. I agree its overpriced but you can find great deals on used and deep discounts on new from time to time.

MattB

WKR
I primarily use Kuiu but think highly of Sitka. I believe it is more durable than Kuiu, but it is also heavier piece for piece.

Having used all 3 (Sitka, First Lite, and Kuiu), I'd say durability go to Sitka. My First Lite merino stuff lasts about 1 hard season. The cuffs and knees on Kuiu pants wear through in a hurry. That being said, a lot of great gear can be had by looking away from camo - clad magazine ads. Icebreaker is the most comfortable merino and way more durable than any other I've tried. Prahna makes pants that are perfection for early season hunts. North Face synthetic puffies are incredible for their warmth and water resistance. Some hunts require a good camo pattern, but lots of them don't. A lot can be learned from using non-camo backpacking and mountaineering clothing. Of all the camo clothing I've used, Sitka gets the nod almost every time.

I don't think there is anything better for most hunts until you are looking at high country goat hunts. I jumped in my cold pool and then started hiking with a 55lb pack around my hood. At 5 miles (up and downhill) I wasn't a bit cold and my clothes were almost dry. That was a truly miserable test of SG that taught me alot. Shaking and soaking wet to almost dry by hiking in under 90 minutes at sunset, color me impressed. (And no, I didn't destroy my boots, wore tennies.) My feet were still cold as they stayed wet the whole time.

FYI, I own Kuiu, Kryptek, Nat Gear, FL, Russell APX and other brands of camo...SG is the most versatile.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything better for most hunts until you are looking at high country goat hunts. I jumped in my cold pool and then started hiking with a 55lb pack around my hood. At 5 miles (up and downhill) I wasn't a bit cold and my clothes were almost dry. That was a truly miserable test of SG that taught me alot. Shaking and soaking wet to almost dry by hiking in under 90 minutes at sunset, color me impressed. (And no, I didn't destroy my boots, wore tennies.) My feet were still cold as they stayed wet the whole time.

FYI, I own Kuiu, Kryptek, Nat Gear, FL, Russell APX and other brands of camo...SG is the most versatile.
You should make it a real scientific test and jump in the pool with all the other brands you own and report back!

Customer service and willingness to problem-solve (for customers) is a critical component to being a top end company. That's one thing I look for when I'm buying clothing and other gear. Reputation for quality is #1, and the willingness to back it up is #2. Nobody should spend multiple hundreds of dollars on a garment and have it fail too soon through no fault of their own. Warranty and returns should be a snap...but I'll temper this by adding there are going to be some situations where the consumer may have unrealistic expectations.

An example of an outstanding company is Orvis. 3 years ago I bought 2 shirts at $40 each. They didn't fit (a bit small) but I kept them...thinking I'd drop a few pounds anyway. I did and they still didn't fit. They were a size large (Tee) even though I wear a medium in most any Orvis shirt. Just a few weeks ago I sent them back to Orvis with a brief note explaining the fit and telling them I expected nothing of a refund...just do with them what they wish. Within a week they credited me the original costs and issued a bonus gift card. Their clothing and gear is more costly than most, but they offer exceptional service. Companies like Sitka, First Lite, KUIU, Kifaru and others can only benefit from having the same philosophy....which is to please the customer first and leave a lasting good impression.

I primarily use Kuiu but think highly of Sitka. I believe it is more durable than Kuiu, but it is also heavier piece for piece.

Except for their raingear...Kuiu is 40% heavier than the Dewpoint. The pocketing, larger hoods and other features SG uses adds the weight but I use those pockets so the minimalistic Kuiu stuff is less functional to me.

I would love to know what you were wearing when you did this? ive thought about dipping my base layers and doing a similar thing Sounds like an awesome test

Merino base, Timberline pants & Jetstream jacket with the thin gloves (almost like a liner...forget what name SG gives me...might be Core). No mid layer. I live atop a hill and one trek around the block is 1.1 miles. It is 1/3rd downhill, then a flat then another 1/3rd uphill. Great cardio and I'm never more than half mile from home if nature calls or I blow a knee out or something. <g> The temps were in the low 70s. Wore cotton socks, that was a stupid mistake. My feet looked like pink prunes when I took em off. Next time I do this I'm gonna see what happens when i throw a mid layer on AFTER emerging from the pool. Water temp was kinda icy...was December. I kept a brisk pace, 12-14 minutes per lap.

Same here. I think anyone who gives both brands a fair shake in the backcountry beyond their neighborhood will find that they both function well and they'll find individual pieces from both brands that really fit their needs. Might even find they like to mix them up at times.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I end up close to Kuius shop for work. So I swing in and pick up stuff here and there. I can try it on, and get it off the return rack. Being how it's much cheaper than Sitka, it works out good for me. I can buy twice the amount of Kuiu gear for the same price as Sitka. The stuff I have from Kuiu fits great.

If I lived near First Lite, I'd probably have a lot of it it it fit and wore well. Lol.

I find it cheaper to lose bodyweight, than it is to buy the newest piece of gear from someone else to save 3oz. The Kuiu clothing weight doesn't seem to bother me at all.

LBFowler

WKR
I think it is pretty fair to call Sitka the top of the heap.

There doesn't end up being many Sitka designs that I care for, so even at a much lower price I wouldn't end up with many pieces from them, but I have very few hesitations saying they are the highest quality hunting apparel by most definitions. I wear more firstlite clothing, and will probably get more in the future, but they are simply lower quality.

Really I think you have to go to a company like Arcteryx to find a company that takes R&D and performance more seriously.