Whats Better than Sitka clothing?

204guy

WKR
Can't make a blanket statement that Sitka is better than KUIU or Firstlite etc. You have to compare individual pieces and their intended niche. For instance I feel like Sitka's puffies are lacking in top of the line materials, especially compared to non-hunting clothing. Some other stuff could easily be considered the best or at the top of the heap equal to others offerings.

Pure Bovine Excrement!

See links if ya don't believe me. I was gonna buy the Kuiu a few years back until I compared it to Sitka.

In size L:

Hunting Rain Gear: Waterproof Hunting Pants & Jackets | KUIU
Chugach NX Rain Pant - Waterproof Hunting Pants | KUIU

Chugach NX jacket • 18.9 oz
Chugach NX • 15.5 oz
Total 34.40 oz

Sitka Gear | Turning Clothing Into Gear

Dewpoint jacket • 13.58 oz
Dewpoint pants • 10.98 oz
Total 24.56 oz

24.56 + 40% = 34.38

See links if ya don't believe me. I was gonna buy the Kuiu a few years back until I compared it to Sitka.

In size L:

Hunting Rain Gear: Waterproof Hunting Pants & Jackets | KUIU
Chugach NX Rain Pant - Waterproof Hunting Pants | KUIU

Chugach NX jacket • 18.9 oz
Chugach NX • 15.5 oz
Total 34.40 oz

Dewpoint jacket • 13.58 oz
Dewpoint pants • 10.98 oz
Total 24.56 oz

24.56 + 40% = 34.38

I don't really care one vs the other but your comparison is wrong. The dewpoint stuff compares to the ultra nx. A better comparison would be cloudburst and chugach.

Any good sales on Sitka right now? Need a Stratus Vest...

Keep checking camofire.com. They have Sitka at least two or three times a week (along with other quality brands), and it is about 50% off. The deals change daily. They ship quickly (same day usually), and their CS is first class.

MattB

WKR
I don't really care one vs the other but your comparison is wrong. The dewpoint stuff compares to the ultra nx. A better comparison would be cloudburst and chugach.

I'd love to think the inaccurate comparison was accidental. The Ultra NX jacket is listed at 8.9 Oz and the pants at 7.5 oz = 18.4 oz. I'll let someone else do the fancy math. The point stands that, piece for piece, Kuiu is lighter but there is a durability penalty to achieve that weight savings.

LBFowler

WKR
Can't make a blanket statement that Sitka is better than KUIU or Firstlite etc.

You can't say that one will work better for any given person, but it is pretty easy to make blanket statements on quality. The easiest single way to illustrate this I think is zippers; Sitka zippers just flat out work. Even the super duper tiny ones. And they spend the extra money to get the color matched ones, while I could care less about this it shows intent and attention to detail. How many first lite zipper failures have we heard about on this forum alone? I've heard of at least one batch of Kuiu shirts that got the sleeves sewn with the stretch going the wrong direction. I'm sure it only happened once, but I have never heard a similar story about Sitka.

A thorough analysis of the seams and patterning on a sitka shows pretty conclusively that they don't skimp on designers either, while I won't go so far to say this translates to any kind of advantage in the field, they are simply more nuanced and advanced.

If it were all free, I would probably wear more Kuiu and Firstlite, but objectively Sitka is definitely taking the lead.

^^^^^^kelvin puffy vest and one of my many pair of ascent pants had zipper issues... none on my kuiu and I don't have much FL stuff with zippers. I don't really have a dog in this fight, IMO arcteryx, montbell and patagonia have all the "hunting companies" beat in terms of quality but sitka's zippers aren't fail proof by any means. Despite those two failures I have a bunch of sitka stuff that hasn't had issues.

I will agree with you on the seams though... I thought forsure they'd be the first to fail and seams on both my sitka and kuiu attire have held up handsomely well

You can't say that one will work better for any given person, but it is pretty easy to make blanket statements on quality. The easiest single way to illustrate this I think is zippers; Sitka zippers just flat out work. Even the super duper tiny ones. And they spend the extra money to get the color matched ones, while I could care less about this it shows intent and attention to detail. How many first lite zipper failures have we heard about on this forum alone? I've heard of at least one batch of Kuiu shirts that got the sleeves sewn with the stretch going the wrong direction. I'm sure it only happened once, but I have never heard a similar story about Sitka.

A thorough analysis of the seams and patterning on a sitka shows pretty conclusively that they don't skimp on designers either, while I won't go so far to say this translates to any kind of advantage in the field, they are simply more nuanced and advanced.

If it were all free, I would probably wear more Kuiu and Firstlite, but objectively Sitka is definitely taking the lead.

In fairness Kuiu got ****ed by their sow house in China on that deal.
If that happened to Sitka they probably would have just eaten the loss and thrown them out, where Kuiu at the time probably couldn't afford that. Unfortunately they didn't say anything until every person that received them was pissed about it. You could return them (at your cost of course) for a refund.

I think it's well written on rokslide all the Kuiu ****ups, but FL gets a pretty nice pass because they stand for good things and are really nice guys(again, understandable). Where I don't know of a Sitka one off the top of my head(but there could be).

I really like First Lite, but of the 3 they are easily the worst.
2 puffies and a half dozen pants over the last few years have all had issues. They have made it right every time, but I'm done buying non merino FL. They have changed the cut on their pants every year they have had the damn things out, and apparently did so again with the new 2017 stuff.

Sitka is the most consistent, in regards to the fit of their gear, the quality, and the customer service, I just wish they would put length in their jackets to match Kuiu.
It's really a mix and match to what fits and works best with you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried on Sitka a couple times at the big box stores. Doesn't seem better to me than anything else I've already worn.

I usually backpack and hunt in very well used Kuiu (first gen, made in Canada) or even older Patagonia clothing. Patagonia is still my favorite. I'll do 15-20 backpacking trips this year (already done 4) so I wear what feels comfortable.

With Patagonia, I like the way I can grab a bite to eat on the way home without looking like I just rolled out of a Walmart. Patagonia's stance in relation to public land is also getting stronger by the month, a fact that appeals to me as a DIY public lands backpack hunter.

KHNC

WKR
Not much word on the Pnuma Gear. Just got the tenacity and merino shirt from them. Really like it so far. Havent hunted in it yet though.

I've tried on Sitka a couple times at the big box stores. Doesn't seem better to me than anything else I've already worn.

I usually backpack and hunt in very well used Kuiu (first gen, made in Canada) or even older Patagonia clothing. Patagonia is still my favorite. I'll do 15-20 backpacking trips this year (already done 4) so I wear what feels comfortable.

With Patagonia, I like the way I can grab a bite to eat on the way home without looking like I just rolled out of a Walmart. Patagonia's stance in relation to public land is also getting stronger by the month, a fact that appeals to me as a DIY public lands backpack hunter.

I've become very fond of the Patagonia stuff I've used lately. It's well built, and functions/fits great. I love their grid fleece hoodies (R1 & Thermal weight Capilene).

Has anyone used Sitka's newer grid fleece hoodie alongside the R1 for comparison?

I've become very fond of the Patagonia stuff I've used lately. It's well built, and functions/fits great. I love their grid fleece hoodies (R1 & Thermal weight Capilene).

My very most favorite piece of late season wear is patagonia's R4 fleece...... I love most of their stuff.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Has anyone used Sitka's newer grid fleece hoodie alongside the R1 for comparison?

their heavyweight hooded Core is almost a spitting image of the R1, except camo

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big ASAT fan, so its pretty much First Lite for me.
The stuff direct from ASAT has improved over the past couple years,
but still not as high quality as the major players.