Whats Better than Sitka clothing?

Kilboars

WKR
I really feel the quality the Sitka clothing line is first rate and I'm looking forward to trying out their new Subalpine line but wondering if there's any clothing comparable to the quality, fit and functionality of Sitka gear. My only complaint is that there cloth seems made more for rifle hunters hunting from a distance and not very quiet for up close bowhunting.

I own a lot of Kuiu cloths as well and they seem to still be catching up with Sitka. IMO

jmez

WKR
I currently use a mix of Kuiu and Kryptek. I like the Kryptek stuff the best. Well made and functional. I did have some Sitka but have sold all of it. I didn't find that it was any better than either the Kryptek or Kuiu and it is more expensive.

Of the three brands I'm most familiar with: Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite, my opinion is pretty high of each for their clothing. In my opinion, what sets Sitka apart from the other two is the commitment to specialization they've taken. They have their waterfowl line, whitetail line, open country big game line, and now a line dedicated to sub-alpine elk hunting.

Kuiu makes excellent ultralight mountain clothing.
First Lite has superior merino for backcountry guys and offers extremely versatile gear.
But for the hunter who wants pieces tailored specifically for a certain style, it seems like Sitka is ahead of the curve.

CorbLand

WKR
Never had a problem with my Sitka being to loud for bow hunting. SKRE is suppose to be some good stuff but I haven't really looked at it.

I currently use a mix of Kuiu and Kryptek. I like the Kryptek stuff the best. Well made and functional. I did have some Sitka but have sold all of it. I didn't find that it was any better than either the Kryptek or Kuiu and it is more expensive.

I have bought all my Sitka pieces at least 40% off. If you are patient and watch local retailers and a few of the online options you can get pieces at a good deal. when they move to a new pattern/line the local retailers unload the old patterns.

I like the construction of Sitka and it holds up very well. Overall Sitka has really great functionality...they are ahead of the curve on new features.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have some Sitka, First Lite and Kuiu, I think they are all very close in quality and function. I make a list of what I need and the look for what is on sale and purchase it. I am not loyal to any one company.

The things I have from the following companies.

Kuiu
Tiburon Pants:
I thinks these are the best pant for early season. the only complaint I have is the bottom of the pant is like a bell bottom pant, I wish they where more tapered
Chugach NX Rain jacket: light weight and breaths very well for a Rain coat
Merino Wool Top: These are the 1/4 zip 145 weight. I wear them all the time
Attack Pant: These are ok not my favorite
First Lite:
Corrugate Duraflex Pant:
I use these pant a lot and use them mainly for late season hunting. I also wear them around town.
Llano 170G Top: Very soft and comfortable shirt.
Uncompahhgre Puffy: I had the hood cut off because I hate hoods on my coats.
Sitka
Fanatic Coat:
Crazy warm in could weather and very quiet
Ascent Jacket: I like this shirt it cuts the wind and is very lite for early hunting when I coat is to much.

elkduds

WKR
I am a fan of Core4 which is out of business. Their stuff is now made by Sylo, which I like equally. Similar performance to Sitka @ 2/3 the price, even less on clearance. Note that Sylo only makes theirs in Mountain Mimicry camo.

Free Sitka clothing.

Somewhat more seriously, I am definitely drawn to their stuff. In my short hunting career I started out with a set of UA camo and then bought some first lite. I added a few pieces of kuiu this year and a set of timberline pants. I was impressed enough with this he timberlines to grab a set of 90%s. All very well executed. Fit and finish great. Pockets where you want them. Tons of options in the line for various weights and performance characteristics.

The only thing keeping me from buying more had been that I primarily still hunt in the east with a bow. I didn't like the open country pattern for my area and the elevated seemed too purpose built for stand hunting. Until now, that had kept me from going over the Sitka edge.

Then, hello Subalpine...goodbye paycheck.

I'm a Kryptek guy. Of course that's the only " tech" clothing line I've used so I may be a tad biased. I've thought of getting a piece or two of kuiu just to try it or maybe a first lite Chama hoody.

Man their stuff is pricey, but the quality, warranty, and CS is as good as it gets.

Edit: Their packs suck.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks everyone.

Ive bought and sold sitka gear online and even though the stuff I sold was 4-5 years old and had been worn in many hard hunts it still looked and functioned like new. Could not do that with my Kuiu stuff, but I do wear their stuff in warm weather.

I sold all my Sitka Timber line pants because the knee pads rubbed together to much on stalks and I even noticed the bino harness has rough edges and makes to much noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
f02d87d02c7181928c36063ef0dbec27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a mix. Primarily Kuiu with some sitka pieces mixed in where I feel they perform and meet my needs better than Kuiu's pieces. First Lite for me has a drastically different fit than Kuiu or sitka and bottom line is most of their stuff just doesn't fit especially outerwear. Everyone else to me is a step below in quality and performance. Kryptek's new high end Schoeller fabrics line could change things but its so expensive I don't feel it will ever take off big.

What's 'better' than Sitka clothing?

That answer is completely subjective to each person, their uses, preferences and a variety of factors. Nothing is necessarily better or worse than Sitka Gear...I'm talking about the high-end hunting garment manufacturers only. I can find both positive and negative things to say about every clothing line I've ever owned. I bought the KUIU Merino Zip-Off Bottoms and they were an abhorrent fit for me...the worst thing KUIU ever made in my mind...BUT they are well-liked by a lot of users and that's all that matters. I received a Sitka Celsius Shacket and thought I would love it. I had it on for about 30 seconds and knew it wasn't ever going hunting with me. KUIU blew it on their first generation of the Tiburon Top several years ago...the sleeves were ultra tight and had no lateral stretch. They canned it and went back to the redesign. I had a very expensive set of Sitka rain gear years ago. The seam tape in the pants didn't hold up to friction and was rubbing loose in several areas. Bummer.

Ultimately buying high-end garments boils down to 75% research and 25% personal evaluation after it arrives. Everything I buy is done with the understanding I'm pretty sure I like it but it's going back if I am not satisfied completely.

tracker12

WKR
At discount prices I'm not sure there is any better clothing than Sitka overall. I have items from Kuiu and Kriptek but still lean towards Sitka. I have a pair of first gen Ascent pants they are in as good as condition as the day I bought them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have several pieces of Sitka gear that I'm very happy with (Core LWT and HWT Hoodys, Kelvin Lite Hoody); I also won't purchase it at full retail- sales, used, etc is the only way to purchase high end equipment of any kind imo

I still use a lot of pieces from non-hunting lines as well- Patagonia, Arcteryx, Montbell, others- these folks have been at it a long time and are constantly refining/improving

I'm definitely not a fan boy though, there are a lot of Sitka pieces that just wouldn't work for my style of hunting, they aren't "bad", just wouldn't work for me

I do like the fact that Sitka is continually refining their line, looking at new fabrics, taking input from users, etc