Eating Breakfast

IdahoElk

WKR
Winter has been brutal this year in Idaho,just having breakfast and thought I'd share my view!

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
I started feeding two Cows in December and it has grown to 14-16 now,word gets out when premium Alfalfa is available!

gwl79902

WKR
Don't feed high quality food to winter animals. Feed only low quality food. The reason is their gut microbes increase in the winter to digest sticks and low quality food they can find. When you feed high quality alfalfa the microbes in their guts can cause excess gas which can kill them. Elk can handle this better than deer.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't feed high quality food to winter animals. Feed only low quality food. The reason is their gut microbes increase in the winter to digest sticks and low quality food they can find. When you feed high quality alfalfa the microbes in their guts can cause excess gas which can kill them. Elk can handle this better than deer.
The stuff I learn on here...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR

It's mostly hay with some Alfalfa mixed in,thanks for the info.

gwl79902

WKR
We had a lady here in town feeding "the good stuff" as she put it. Two cow and a calf died. There limbs were loose not trauma on body but their guts we like a drum and some foaming around the mouth. Thoses feeding hay do not have that problem

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
We had a lady here in town feeding "the good stuff" as she put it. Two cow and a calf died. There limbs were loose not trauma on body but their guts we like a drum and some foaming around the mouth. Thoses feeding hay do not have that problem

Thanks for the info,most people don't know about the animals nutritional needs.
This is a video I made last year on a ranch that I help out on,Enjoy!

[video=youtube;Ohbmhiwudzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohbmhiwudzw&t=45s[/video]