Glasses

blackdawg

WKR
I have tired of the constant difficulties I have with Contacts on multi-day excursions and have an appointment scheduled to get a new pair of glasses. I have this dream of glasses that I can hunt/fish/participate in athletics with that have photochromatic lense, bifocals, lightweight, resist fogging somewhat and will not hamper my shotgunning,rifle or archery shooting. Anyone have any suggestions, cost doesn't matter if it is takes away the difficulties of contacts in the field.

I wear the "day and night" contacts that are designed to be worn for 30 days and nights at a time without removing them. I actually go about 2 months in mine, but they are great...i usually don't even remember i have them in and have to set a calendar reminder to switch them out. i wear my glasses for a day in between pairs to let my eyes breath a little bit. but I run 3-4 days a week, bike ride, hike, hunt, fish, everything in them without any issues.
but I guess I should also ask, what are the difficulties you are having with contacts in the field?

kicker338

WKR
I think your just going to trade one problem for another. I wear glasses and here is what I have to deal with. Foges up when out in the cold antifog stuff helps but is no cure all. Rain is the pits no fix for that. Hunting in brush. got to be carefull that limb doesn't slap you in the face, spider webs, dust among other things that get on them. Wearing them all day tends to make your ears sore. Using binos, I just take my glasses off for that. Gota be careful when you lay them down while using binos, see something with the binos, get excited forget about the glasses, step on them, been there done that LOL.

LandYacht

WKR
If you are candidate for lasik do that instead. Best money I've spent except to pay the hospital to get my kids out of the nursery lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Had Lasik done 20+ years ago and it is still by far the best medical money that I have ever spent.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Lasik is like a dream and has been considered, but I have the fear of losing vision and some vision problems occur later in life within my family genetics, my vision corrects perfectly, I have worn the Oasis soft contacts for some time and have been a soft contact wearer for 39 yrs,,so kinda stuck in rut, but what is the brand your using Blackpowder? The Rudy Project looks interesting, my eye doctor has finished 6 Iron Mans so I bet he is familiar with this product line. The problem I have is removing the contacts and reinserting in a.m. . I value my vision so I have always been very cautious to remove and clean my contacts every day. My eye doctors have always told me not to sleep with the lenses and when I have on the rare occasion I do, my eyes are dried out and in pain the next day. I also have the problem that older guys get, my arms aren't long enough to read or see to do minute things without readers,,I find it a pain also to have readers for reading maps/gps/tying knots in mono,,etc,,,etc,,,,fun part of getting old.

elkguide

WKR
I spent way too many years fighting glasses and contacts. I too was very worried about my eyesight and when I had my Lasik done, at the recommendation of my optometrist I went to Montreal, Canada to have it done since the eye surgeon here had done 68 eyes and the surgeon I used had done 6500 people at the time. They say that Lasik has a 97% success rate ( a tonsillectomy is only a 93% success rate!) and even the Air Force now allows pilots to have Lasik, I think that it is a safe and great option for most people. I would have an eye exam and talk with your optician and if they green light it, I would RUN to the Lasik clinic.

elkguide

WKR
There is no option for those "maturing eyes" except for longer arms or "cheater" glasses that I'm aware of.

530Chukar

WKR
I hate contacts. Wore them for the last 15 years. I've been wearing glasses for the last month and hate them even more. PRk later this week. Well see how that turns out.

Question for those that have gotten lasik. Every few years my eyes weaken and i get my new prescription glasses, after you get lasik do your eyes still weaken after a few years? I like having 20/10 to 20/20 vision that I can achieve with glasses.

Question for those that have gotten lasik. Every few years my eyes weaken and i get my new prescription glasses, after you get lasik do your eyes still weaken after a few years? I like having 20/10 to 20/20 vision that I can achieve with glasses.

My prescription had stabilized, and my eyes haven't changed since. I haven't been to an eye doctor since (which I know I should), but haven't felt the need either. Unfortunately you probably wouldn't be a good candidate if your eyes are still changing. When I had it back in 2008, they told me that glasses/contact lenses correct to the 0.5 diopter Lasik corrects to the 0.01 diopter. I walked out of the door with 20/15 vision.
The halos around lights at night that you hear about are real, but go away over time. Not sure that if I needed to get my eyes corrected again that I'd go that route because the halos would come back and are less likely to go away the older one gets (as it was explained to me).

2blade

WKR
on the rare occasion I do, my eyes are dried out and in pain the next day..

I had that problem but not quite as bad as you, no pain but contacts stuck and dry as could be. I had prk, a different form of lasik, and because of the tendency of dry eyes at night like you, they did not heal right. The skin over the cornea comes loose and blisters. Upon healing scar tissue is formed and that now holds the skin down. I have so much scar tissue now, right eye especially, including over my pupils, my night vision is ruined. My brain ignores the scar tissue during the day and I have to admit, the vision is wonderful. But, the last 6 yrs to get to this point, has been a fricking nightmare.

If you're prone to dry eye at night, which you are, there is no way in hades I would consider lasik.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couldn't do contacts. Glasses are cost effective and little maintenance with no surgical risk. Lasik money kills your hunting budget😃