Beginner fly fishing setup

jwatts

WKR
I want to try my hand at fly fishing. I have been doing some research on entry level combos. I don't want to drop a ton of money on a setup up front knowing if I like it I will upgrade anyway. I also don't want to drop a lot of cash on one that won't get used if I don't like it. A lot of recommendations I have seen are for Redington Crosswater combos. I have also found a few combos I like at Cabelas. Right now I have a Cabelas coupon and some club points I can use. I also saw what seems to be a pretty good deal on Sierra Trading Post. I was wondering if any of these setups are worth fooling with or if I should shy away from them. I am looking at something in the 8.5-9ft range in a 5-6 weight to cover panfish and smaller creek bass down here in Mississippi.

Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Series Fly Rod and Reel Combo - Spooled Line - Save 51%

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

IdahoElk

WKR
I have the Three Forks 8'6" 5wt set up,been using it for years and has been a great Bang for the buck.I mostly fish nymphs size 12 and smaller,does fine.

Ive always been happy with TFO rods. One thing about fly fishing rods is you will eventually use the warranty. Not sure about that reel but you could easily upgrade down the road but keep using the rod. I personally like 9 ft and up for a number of reasons. I have an 8'6" 5 weight that never gets used.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Find the best local fly shop in your neighborhood and go visit them. Talk to them about what you're looking to do with the outfit, where and how you're thinking you're going to fish and ask them for some advice. Honestly, I'd have them set you up with a balanced outfit and go from there. Take the time and money necessary to learn to cast and then focus on learning to fish. Enjoy the journey!

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Looks like a lot of support for the TFO.

PNW, I just stumbled across a fly fishing club not far from me. I didn't know they existed around here. I plan to join up with them. As far as fly shops go, I think Bass Pro is as close as we have but I may be mistaken.

svivian

WKR
Redington are awesome rods, they are owned by sage and are basically 5-6 year old sage blanks. TFO also makes some great rods. Both are going to be fast action rods that you might whip flies off of at first but will get use to it. If you seem to be doing that a lot then go up in weight of line and it will slow the action down. I also would say get a 9' and no shorter.

excaliber

WKR
I started with TFO professional series rods and now use Redington along with St. Croix flyrods. Look on Ebay as there are lots of good deals on flyrods there. I got mine new for slightly more than half price after being patient.
I've never had an issue with the TFO rods but I did not like the way the ferrules went together. I thought the TFO rods cast really well.

The Lamson Konic is a great entry level reel and I think Lamson also makes another lower priced reel that gets great reviews.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
The TFO and Redington recc's are good ones . When my nephews jumped in the fray I had them each get Redington kits and my son actually has one too . Talking to the guys at a local flyshop would be a good idea and a local club a great one . Frequently clubs will have guys upgrade and you could possibly get a killer deal on some top shelf gear . Also if you decide you love flyfishing and want to upgrade check out the clearance sections online at the flyshops . Awesome deals are had on "last years" latest and greatest .

good luck and tightlines !!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Entering the world of fly fishing can be daunting and one can quickly become overloaded with possibilities not only in rods and tapers, lines and loads, leaders, flies, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't have to be that way. Hopefully there is a local fly shop in your area and a good one. Not saying BPS won't have a knowledgeable person in the fly section, but I'd be surprised. The local fly club may offer the opportunity to find a mentor which is the route I'd go, especially if there isn't a great local shop.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Entering the world of fly fishing can be daunting and one can quickly become overloaded with possibilities not only in rods and tapers, lines and loads, leaders, flies, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't have to be that way. Hopefully there is a local fly shop in your area and a good one. Not saying BPS won't have a knowledgeable person in the fly section, but I'd be surprised. The local fly club may offer the opportunity to find a mentor which is the route I'd go, especially if there isn't a great local shop.

Yeah, I have been trying to wrap my mind around all of the components. I think I have a grasp on what I need. I am going to try to hook up with the fly fishing club and hopefully find someone close to mentor me.

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely look at the cheaper end of the reddington line. Great for starting out and lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are on the right road for sure. Would add , when going to new waters make a visit to the local fly shop. Have found most to be very helpful picking patterns and areas to hit

kodiakfly

WKR
TFO and Redington make very decent rods. Whatever rod you get and wherever you get it, check it's warrantee. It's not going to fall apart on you, but you will break it. I break a rod or two every year, and while I build my own rods, the blanks are still warranteed and they send me new blanks to rebuild on. Warrantee is well worth it in fly rods.

If you're getting into it, it can be like getting into bowhunting and the interweb is full of advice and experts who are idiots. Start with Lefty Kreh and go from there. If Lefty says it, it's true. Period. From there you can fine tune your fly fishing tastes, methods and style. But for casting and gear, Lefty is the end-all, be-all. Ed Jaworski is another solid source of fly casting expertise and he and Lefty work together a lot.

Let me know if I can help you out with something. Fly fishing is what I do and I'll help ya out however I can.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
TFO and Redington make very decent rods. Whatever rod you get and wherever you get it, check it's warrantee. It's not going to fall apart on you, but you will break it. I break a rod or two every year, and while I build my own rods, the blanks are still warranteed and they send me new blanks to rebuild on. Warrantee is well worth it in fly rods.

If you're getting into it, it can be like getting into bowhunting and the interweb is full of advice and experts who are idiots. Start with Lefty Kreh and go from there. If Lefty says it, it's true. Period. From there you can fine tune your fly fishing tastes, methods and style. But for casting and gear, Lefty is the end-all, be-all. Ed Jaworski is another solid source of fly casting expertise and he and Lefty work together a lot.

Let me know if I can help you out with something. Fly fishing is what I do and I'll help ya out however I can.

Good tip on the warranty. I will make sure to check that with whatever I get.

I know what you mean about bowhunting advice. What I have seen so far on the fly fishing advice is it is a little more consistent than the bowhunting crowd so far. I will check those 2 guys out.

I'm another TFO fan, every bit as good as the high end rods. In some cases better. I also wrap my own rods, so I'v had opportunity to use many different types of blanks (rods). Today, we have options on rod material, lots of options. For someone new, understanding those options, and why you might want a particular composite rod over another in a given fishing situation is even more daunting. The trend is lighter and lighter. So here are a few basics: if you fishing open country, go long. If your fishing streams, bushy streams, go short. If your brand new, you might want to step up slightly in rod weight, if your upgrading in the future, you'll be stuck with another option, not such a bad thing. You likely already understand that rod weight (not the weight of the rod) should be chosen based on what your likely to catch, and it's weight.

Type of material the rod is made out of (the composite), at this point, considering your new, I wouldn't worry about it, except for how tough the rod is going to be. Lets face it, your new to fly fishing, and you likely to move around the shoreline (creek, stream, or lake) and subsequently catch the rod on brush. The lighter the rod, generally the more fragile it will be. Your new, you don't want to be replacing rods due to inexperience and carelessness, i.e., breakage; it just get expensive and is a deterring factor. For this very reason, I'd recommend with starting with an all fiberglass rod. Sure it will be heavier, and you run the risk of earlier fatigue, due to the heavier fiberglass rod. However, the fact that it is likely to not get broken, is likely to keep you fly fishing longer. Besides that, fiberglass rods fish exceptionally well. your only issue will be finding one, as most manufactures have moved on from fiberglass.

Lastly, I'd suggest that you start with the best equipment you can, while still considering it disposable. As you start, and start to get into fly fishing, your knowledge will grow exponentially, and you will better understand what you actually want and why you want it.