Help Needed - new design for steel target

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rokslide,

I'm looking to you guys to decide on a few new small game target shapes.

I currently have a coyote outline (hitting the website soon) but I want to add a few more.

Please reply to the thread on which outline you'd like see and if you would want it with a tpost mount or stake driven from the back (putting the target at ground level) or both.

Feel free to throw out any other ideas too!

Thanks!

Brock

A) Pheasant

B) Long Rabbit

C) Sitting rabbit

D) cupped mallard (one from the flock)

E) Wolf Head

colersu22

WKR
I like the sitting rabbit or a rabbit facing you for a smaller target to shoot with a 22

1d983e447a505296bde3645edefc75a2.jpg
I always liked targets shaped and sized like the vital area on the game I'm pursuing. I tried cutting my own out of 1/2 stainless steel, but even at 400 yards 7wsm with 180 Berger's just poked holes through it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cam_Shrum

FNG
C and you should make a yeti, full-sized!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
1d983e447a505296bde3645edefc75a2.jpg
I always liked targets shaped and sized like the vital area on the game I'm pursuing. I tried cutting my own out of 1/2 stainless steel, but even at 400 yards 7wsm with 180 Berger's just poked holes through it.

That's a great idea! I will definitely take note of that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep, I like the vitals a lot. Gives you some idea of the size you need to be able to hit on the first shot. Since I haven't found any steel targets cheap enough and the right size, I practice with milk jugs. Just place them at various distances, get behind the gun, range, dial for range, compensate for wind and shoot. Lots of free fun.

Here's where I got the idea for vital area targets.

Vital Zone Hunting Targets | Berger Bullets

Kilboars

WKR
Do both.

Make an outline of an animal with the vitals cut out and hanging on a separate plate. So if you hit the vitals that plate will move or spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
C would be cool, especially if you did it with a stand that had a spring.

How about a rabbit or squirrel plate rack or dueling tree? Excuse the crude photoshop but I think something like this would be cool

dueling-stump.jpg

Not sure I could afford it but I think it would be cool.

Opah

WKR
I make mine with a hole in the kill zone and bell or SS tubing behind the hole. works great on a number of senarios, Miss the kill zone and get a clink, hit the kill zone get a BING!!, tape a target to the back and you also get your grouping.
Just weld a hook to the back of the target to hang the bell on and you are in business

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I like the vitals a lot. Gives you some idea of the size you need to be able to hit on the first shot. Since I haven't found any steel targets cheap enough and the right size, I practice with milk jugs. Just place them at various distances, get behind the gun, range, dial for range, compensate for wind and shoot. Lots of free fun.

Here's where I got the idea for vital area targets.

Vital Zone Hunting Targets | Berger Bullets

I drew up a Deer, Bear and Elk Vital. They should be up on the website in the next week or two. Since I used your idea, I want to hook you up with one. Send me your address in a PM and when I get a couple cut out for pictures, Ill send one your way.

Thanks again for the idea,

Brock

Stwrt9

WKR
C and E are nice for rifles. Although if you making something geared for shotguns i think A and D are pretty cool. I would also maybe add a turkey outline to that mix.

I drew up a Deer, Bear and Elk Vital. They should be up on the website in the next week or two. Since I used your idea, I want to hook you up with one. Send me your address in a PM and when I get a couple cut out for pictures, Ill send one your way.

Thanks again for the idea,

Brock
Thank you for the very generous offer. I sent you a PM.

Opah

WKR
for thr long rabbit something like this

View attachment 48165

Using a circle saw cut the hole out and set the cut out circle back about a 1/2 inch on a pivot Heart shot you get the BING!!!
also using a hydrolic press you can concave it to tune it and also deflect the bullets from a direct persing hit (

Last edited: