The Utah delegation is like herpes.....

They just won't go away with their public lands transfer BS. Now Representative Bishop is at it.

GOP chairman seeks $50M to transfer federal land | TheHill

GOP chairman seeks $50M to transfer federal land

© Moriah Ratner

The chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee is asking budget writers to set aside $50 million to account for the costs to transfer federal land to state or local governments.

Rep. Rob BishopRob BishopOvernight Energy: Senate takes aim at Obama-era land ruleGOP chairman seeks M to transfer federal landA guide to the committees: HouseMORE (R-Utah) put the request on a wish list sent Friday to the House Budget Committee.

In his request, Bishop argued that “poorly managed federal lands create a burden for surrounding states and communities.”
He reasoned that divesting the federal government of its land would be good for the federal budget. It would reduce the costs of maintaining that land, he said, as well as the payments the federal government makes to local and state governments for tax dollars they can't collect.

“To allow for these conveyances to start immediately, we ask that you build in $50 million into the budget to cover possible impacts on offsetting receipts,” Bishop wrote. “The vitality of these lands, after being conveyed from the federal government, will reduce the need for other taxpayer-funded federal support, either through Payments in Lieu of Taxes or other programs such as Secure Rural Schools.”The budget request does not mention any specific land transfers Bishop or others might propose.

But conservation groups quickly slammed Bishop’s request to use taxpayer money to help get rid of federal land.
“Make no mistake: America is wide awake to these assaults and will not let a bully like Chairman Bishop use hard-earned taxpayer dollars to ensure oil, gas and mining industries can lay waste to the forests, parks and refuges that belong to us all,” Matt Keller, senior director of conservation with the Wilderness Society, said in a statement.

Bishop and other Republicans have been working on numerous fronts to reduce the federal estate.
In January, the House passed an internal rule to make it easier, from a budgeting standpoint, to offload federal land.
Under that rule, lawmakers can no longer raise formal objections if legislation does not properly account for the future income that the government would have gotten from transferred land.

Bishop and his allies are facing significant headwinds in their push to reduce federal land ownership.
Republicans have traditionally supported such proposals, but both President Trump and Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke oppose any large-scale land transfers and Zinke has promised to fight against them.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) withdrew a bill to sell millions of acres of federal land after significant protests.

Hunthigh1

WKR
This is getting real old. Thanks for posting. I will be sending this idiot some unfriendly emails and phone calls tommorow.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Timely, as I just got done listening to the Cam Hanes podcast with Jason Chavetz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Seriously who votes for these people? What is it about Utah that makes them hate public land?

Bundys, Chaffetz, Bishop....The state of deseret is not coming back.

Last edited:

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
Bishop has been busy with this topic for some time, just like Chaffetz. Call and email them, but also call and email your own reps and senators to let them know to keep our public lands public.

CorbLand

WKR
Seriously who votes for these people? What is it about Utah that makes them hate public land?

Theres never any other options in Utah. It is literally them and nobody else on the ballet. So unless you can get enough people to write the same name on a piece of paper, they get elected by default.

ST52v

WKR
I wonder if all preference point purchasers would threatened a class action lawsuit to get their money back due to no public lands, would get their attention?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

trom2k

FNG

Short answer: the LDS church.

I'm a transplant from Florida. Moved out here in 2007. Love it. However, there is no separation between church and state which leads me to my (not too absurd) conspiracy theory that the church is somehow positioned to profit greatly from all this. Get the taxpayers to foot the bill for the fight and get a sweet deal on land, and associated resources, from the Utah legislature.

I've been poking around the web and haven't been able to find any major hunting associated groups organizing a fight against this atrocity. Does anyone know of any? If so, please post links. I feel that Utah is the first domino and we need to do everything we can to keep this from happening. For me, the biggest issue (aside from the lands not being federal/public) is that there has been no mention of what will be done with them; no mention of a plan or agreement. If there was a reasonable, responsible use plan put forth, I would be happy to have a discussion. Not saying I'd agree but at least it would be something. Right now we've been given nothing, aside from generating revenue which we assume (rightfully) means more fossil fuel extraction.

I don't see this as a liberal vs republican and/or hunter vs non-hunter issue. This is an issue for all of the citizens, those that use the land regularly and especially those that haven't yet had a chance to see these wonderful public areas some of us are grateful to call home. We need to put our differences aside and fight this.

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if all preference point purchasers would threatened a class action lawsuit to get their money back due to no public lands, would get their attention?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thats a good idea, its the reason i am not building points there. Utah has a bad reputation of the government wanting to sell lands off to special interests to make a quick dollar. Sad cause its such a beautiful and diverse landscape.

CorbLand

WKR

I'm a transplant from Florida. Moved out here in 2007. Love it. However, there is no separation between church and state which leads me to my (not too absurd) conspiracy theory that the church is somehow positioned to profit greatly from all this. Get the taxpayers to foot the bill for the fight and get a sweet deal on land, and associated resources, from the Utah legislature.

Never realized that the LDS church could vote...

dotman

WKR
I really wish RMEF, SCI, NRA, BHA, TRCP and others would join forces and create a committee and put their resources together to fight this as one big group!

I'm about to BAN anything UT which is not fair to UT residents but dang how else do you get a politician to notice then stop supporting their economy.

Maybe we should build a wall around CA, WA and UT ;)

dotman

WKR
Never realized that the LDS church could vote...

Not hard for them to push members on who to vote for, sell them as pro LDS. This happens all the time with all religions, just so happens that UT is a majority LDS population I would assume.

CorbLand

WKR
Not hard for them to push members on who to vote for, sell them as pro LDS. This happens all the time with all religions, just so happens that UT is a majority LDS population I would assume.

Now this I agree with but that is the between the them and the voters, not the LDS church as a whole.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've been poking around the web and haven't been able to find any major hunting associated groups organizing a fight against this atrocity. Does anyone know of any? If so, please post links. I feel that Utah is the first domino and we need to do everything we can to keep this from happening. For me, the biggest issue (aside from the lands not being federal/public) is that there has been no mention of what will be done with them; no mention of a plan or agreement. If there was a reasonable, responsible use plan put forth, I would be happy to have a discussion. Not saying I'd agree but at least it would be something. Right now we've been given nothing, aside from generating revenue which we assume (rightfully) means more fossil fuel extraction.

I don't see this as a liberal vs republican and/or hunter vs non-hunter issue. This is an issue for all of the citizens, those that use the land regularly and especially those that haven't yet had a chance to see these wonderful public areas some of us are grateful to call home. We need to put our differences aside and fight this.

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Really this is your logic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'm from Utah, I'm Mormon, I didn't vote for these greedy land grabbers. It's all about personal gain for them and their buddies. They are setting things up to gain personally from the transfer should it ever happen. I've seen just enough behind the scenes of Utah politics to know that there are many corrupt Utah politicians taking bribes. That cost or company a lot of money when we refused to pay extortion money on a few projects and turned someone in...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I'm from Utah, I'm Mormon, I didn't vote for these greedy land grabbers. It's all about personal gain for them and their buddies. They are setting things up to gain personally from the transfer should it ever happen. I've seen just enough behind the scenes of Utah politics to know that there are many corrupt Utah politicians taking bribes. That cost or company a lot of money when we refused to pay extortion money on a few projects and turned someone in...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not anti Mormon but man it's getting frustrating that all the land grab push is coming out of UT.