Ticks

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Last summer when I was guiding pack trips in Wyoming, I had the most miserable illness experience ruin about 3 weeks of my life and take me out of work. That illness was a bacteria infection spread by ticks called "ehrlichiosis".

Knowing that there are plenty more diseases spread by those little @$#*+?!, what are some ways you guys prevent them from using you as a blood buffet?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
As one that has been living with Lyme from a friendly tick, I use Permethrin now religiously.

I eat garlic. I think it helps keep from having as many ticks attach. I find them crawling on me but not as many are attached. I use 100% deet and Permethrin on my boots and areas where they like to hangout on a person. I sweat a lot, so I try to have the least amount on my clothing where it will make skin contact.

I have heard that there is now a pill that you can get a doctor to prescribe and have it to take when you first find an attached tick. I do not have the name of the drug, hopefully a friend of mine will get back to me with it. I am guessing that it would be a low grade antibiotic.

From papers and articles that I have read these high tick populations are another reason for prescribed burning to be increased. Some of the articles a papers have shown that ticks will move out of areas that are burned, and higher numbers have been counted just adjacent to burn areas.

NoWiser

WKR
I've never found a tick on me while I've been wearing clothes treated with permethrin. With all of the diseases lately I keep a big bottle and use it damn near year round. I get the concentrate at the local farm store and mix up my own for a fraction of the cost. When I know I'll be in a bad area I'll literally mix up a big tub of it and soak my clothes in it. It's just not worth taking a chance anymore.

cg2737

WKR
I've never found a tick on me while I've been wearing clothes treated with permethrin. With all of the diseases lately I keep a big bottle and use it damn near year round. I get the concentrate at the local farm store and mix up my own for a fraction of the cost. When I know I'll be in a bad area I'll literally mix up a big tub of it and soak my clothes in it. It's just not worth taking a chance anymore.

I use sawyers on all of my outdoor gear permethrin is the active ingredient. Tics seem
To hate the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These ^^^^^^ guys covered it. The only thing I can add is that when I had a horses, I'd wash them with NIX once a month during tick season (Spring and into summer), as it lasts about a month or so. My horses never had a tick or flea problem. So if you take any pets with you, you might want to consider this.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same illness and experience and now I'd bathe in permithrin if it was safe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I bet you could bathe in it. According to poison control, it's a mild irritant to an infant's scalp... I walked into my kitchen with my 3 year old daughter styling my 1.5 year old son's hair with permethrin.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bet you could bathe in it. According to poison control, it's a mild irritant to an infant's scalp... I walked into my kitchen with my 3 year old daughter styling my 1.5 year old son's hair with permethrin.
Lol well the warning label says not to put it on your skin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
Illnesses are bad enough, but certain tick bites can have more servere problems. The Lone Star tick can release an enzyme in you that basically makes you allergic to red meat. That is a life not worth living....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard that there is now a pill that you can get a doctor to prescribe and have it to take when you first find an attached tick. I do not have the name of the drug, hopefully a friend of mine will get back to me with it. I am guessing that it would be a low grade antibiotic.

I found one on my shoulder last summer after I came home from work and the doctor that I went to prescribed me one pill as a precautionary measure. If I remember correctly, it was the same pill they prescribe for an extended period of time if you are actually found to have Lyme's, so it's not some special preventative. I probably only had the tick on me for a couple of hours, and he said that with that level of exposure, I only had something like a .003% of contracting Lyme's, but it was still not a risk that I wanted to take.

Brendan

WKR
The pill they prescribe is Doxycycline. Goal is as a preventative measure to head off any chance of bacterial infection immediately. The big problem is some of the f***kers are so small, you may not know you've been bitten.

Ticks here in the Northeast are horrendous. Not unheard of for me to come out of the woods and find 20 of them on me. Never used to do it - but 100% of all my gear is getting treated with Permethrin. Even my whitetail hunting gear - it's supposed to dry odorless, but who knows.

Cgeb

WKR

Hall256

WKR
The pill they prescribe is Doxycycline. Goal is as a preventative measure to head off any chance of bacterial infection immediately. The big problem is some of the f***kers are so small, you may not know you've been bitten.

Ticks here in the Northeast are horrendous. Not unheard of for me to come out of the woods and find 20 of them on me. Never used to do it - but 100% of all my gear is getting treated with Permethrin. Even my whitetail hunting gear - it's supposed to dry odorless, but who knows.
We always have to take Doxycycline when we are in Iraq/Afghanistan...or really any shit hole that has a high mosquito population. I have never heard it being used as a preemptive for ticks, but the logic makes sense. So I guess that is good news, as I have a permanent Rx for Doxycycline, I just need to get it filled before my next trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk