Joe Rogan and Pot

hodgeman

WKR
Of all the varying viewpoints Rogan has, his stance on marijuana may be pretty mainstream for his demographic.

But in all reality, hunting and dope are pretty much non-exclusive topics.... so who cares?

Dope isn't my deal, and I've hunted with hard core lefty hippies and hard core righty wingnuts...if they work hard and keep a clean camp...I'm alright on both accounts.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Don't follow him and don't really care.

As far as medical marijuana goes. Anything that seemingly is a magical cure for numerous different problems is highly suspect in my opinion. This sounds like a placebo effect to me. Placebos work great for some people, but in reality don't work at all. Show me a randomized, placebo controlled trial about how safe and effective marijuana is for different disease states or symptoms. If it truly works, then I am all for it. Unfortunately nobody seems to care about real science any more.

As far as medical marijuana goes. Anything that seemingly is a magical cure for numerous different problems is highly suspect in my opinion. This sounds like a placebo effect to me. Placebos work great for some people, but in reality don't work at all. Show me a randomized, placebo controlled trial about how safe and effective marijuana is for different disease states or symptoms. If it truly works, then I am all for it. Unfortunately nobody seems to care about real science any more.

Hers is one for pain management. Again, pretty small sample size and it's far from definitive, but you get the jist that cannabinoid was favored over the placebo.
74b1b694bc25b6c347a8d25a399788da.jpg

But people do say it's a "cure" for stuff when in reality it's maybe a helper. It probably doesn't cure cancer, but it does help people who are going through chemo deal with nausea and lack of appetite. It doesn't "cure" glaucoma, but does lower you inner eye pressure. There is solid info out for these 2 applications and it's not surprising as both are effects notorious with marijuana.

A lot of other studies are anecdotal at best, due in part because marijuana as a medicinal drug has been difficult to study due to its classification as a schedule one. Hopefully with the legalization we will get more studies to tell us the truth.
California has set aside a percentage of its sales tax revenue to be used solely for that purpose, so hopefully we have an answer in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

You'll have to look outside north America where societies are actually trying to lower health care costs not like here where legislation is bought that makes pharmaceutical companies billions

Science can be bought and payed for these days.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
I like Joe. I have felt like Marijuana should have been legalized 25 years ago (despite that I personally choose to not use it) at least in a free country where people should be responsible for themselves and not be dependent upon the gov't. They should have the choice, even when some can't get a job because they abuse drugs, alcohol, etc.

It would be nice to see the marijuana proponents who come at it from a non-libertarian standpoint have more intellectual honesty. Marijuana being a medicine has nothing to do with whether it is good for you. Many medicines are poisons, but with anything you should weigh the benefits and risks. Antibiotics are poisons that kill things and can cause major problems for a person, but they can also save your life.

I just wish people could say that they use marijuana in moderation (some can and some can't) to get high and can still function most of the time, but also say "hey kids, it really isn't good for you, and chronic use at least several times a week can lead to the same brain damage changes seen in alcoholics." Now that would be honest. Food for thought...many people who enjoy a beer with dinner, do so not to get a buzz/high, but how many people who use marijuana can say that? But who cares, because both substances can cause problems if abused. I have teenagers, and marijuana is more of a problem than alcohol it seems now...they can get it any time. And it is certainy more dangerous and debilitating for kids than potentially for adults. So, why would anyone promote this as good like an ad campaign? Use it as an adult, and hopefully somewhat responsibly for your own sake and society's, but it does't have to be good for your health to justify legalization.

Kilboars

WKR
I see your point, and I won't argue that that isn't a concern, but a much bigger concern is kids wanting to act like adults and having access to alcohol. Alcohol, for the most part, is much more accessible than any illicit drug. I realize that the drug dealer on the street corner isn't selling alcohol but tell me, what do you think is more readily accessible to your children, the drug dealers drugs or his parents liquor cabinet. And as long as were on the topic of drugs, let's not forget about the pharmaceuticals that he may have access to in his parents and or grandparents' bathroom vanities. Marijuana being a gateway drug is a crock of shit, if ever there was a gateway drug, it's alcohol. And I can absolutely guarantee you that more lives have been ruined and lost, more homes have been destroyed, and more people have suffered from the detrimental effects from the abuse of alcohol than they ever have from marijuana. And that brother, is fact.

I agree about alcohol for sure. I remember stealing beer from my dads fridge. I also remember friends going into their parents medicine cabinet and grabbing a handful of colorful pills and taking them just to find out what they would do. Not smart I think one of them grew breasts :) I'm kidding.

For me as an adult now I don't want to put my vote in for adding more fuel to the fire. I understand you guys have a point of views but for me stealing beers and smoking pot for the first time in seven grade was a gateway into doing a lot of other stupid crap. And the only reason I got out of it because my dad moved us out of the neighborhood. So could see a different world and I llearn my true potential. Most of my friends are either in the ground in rehab or still living with mom.
If you guys didn't need to be part of the crowd and could never be influence by your friends then kudos to you. Myself and a lot of kids I think like to fit in and make some bad decisions. Messing with your brain and your motivation at a young age is not a cool thing to do.

I'll also add I always noticed that my friends who are very successful and smoke pot do everything they can to hide it from their adult children. Why is that?

Sorry about any misspellings or punctuation. Voice texting and public school system :)

Kilboars

WKR
That's where parenting should step in.

I could drive to half a dozen convenience stores and probably get all 3 as well, not from the same guy though.

We could've been best friends in high school :)

Our parent to know what we're doing. Or if they did didn't know how to help.

I don't know Joe Rogan and I don't know anything about his show, his hunting, his personal beliefs or his support for cannabis use. I'll give him 100% freedom to express his views on both topics...hunting and cannabis. If there's anything in this that is a concern for me it would be the potential for the non-hunting and non-substance-using public to make the link between hunter and drug user...to use the vernacular. I'm one of those guys who loses no sleep thinking my neighbor is rolling one to enjoy in the sanctity of his own home. I enjoy a couple fingers of good bourbon on occasion. I have never smoked anything even once simply because inhaled smoke is one of the pukiest things in the world to me...tobacco, cannabis or whatever. I don't work to outlaw cigars though...I stay away from their users when using.

I do believe there are a lot of hunters in this world who do not want a (controversial?) celebrity somehow painting a picture of them as supporters or users of currently illegal mind-altering substances in association with hunting. Some day cannabis use may be legalized everywhere and gain greater cultural acceptance, if grudging. I'd like to see that happen BEFORE we publicly advocate for hunting and illegal substance use...which cannabis still remains in an overwhelming majority of states. I would not be at all comfortable watching a YouTube video (say with a young hunter) in which the hunters are using ANY illegal substances in the course of their overall adventure.

I used to icefish heavily on the Great Lakes and I knew a couple of guys who were friends. One was a prominent outdoor writer. The other was a scion of the owner of a gigantic athletic shoe and apparel company. Both these guys were fun-loving and serious fishermen, but I noticed they refused to fish near other groups and typically seemed to always set up downwind of the action area. Of course they were smoking cannabis and I knew it. I smelled it a few times when the wind shifted. These guys behaved like they were minor-league outlaws and were always acting a little suspect. I told one of them I'd respect them more if they just said "Hey...we're gonna roll a couple while fishing this evening. We'll be downwind so nobody is offended. We're not trying to hide from you guys".

I go both ways on the overall legalization issue. It really does come down to a clash of cultures politically. I see good reasons for legalization and I see unintended consequences from doing it. Of note...Just one year ago 8 members of the same family were murdered in one short period of time in 4 different locations just a few miles apart. This happened in Ohio, in the county next to mine. These people were all deliberately and decisively shot in a planned execution attack. They were of all ages and both sexes. One was a high school teenager. One was a new mother to a months-old infant. Most of them had multiple gunshot wounds and I believe all but one had a final shot in the brain as insurance. Investigators found a serious mj grow operation associated with this family and obviously believe the killings are linked to that operation. You can opinionate on whether legalization would have made a difference...no proof. You can easily understand why a majority of residents want NOTHING to do with the propagation of mj and see it as the domain of those who bring crime and a disregard for the law.

One final reminder: I'm not blindly anti-cannabis at all. I'm more like cautiously about individual use on private property and places which don't subject others to it. Tough subject.

Last edited:
We could've been best friends in high school :)

Our parent to know what we're doing. Or if they did didn't know how to help.

That is really what it comes down to in the end. Access is so EASY for so much stuff now, its actually pretty shocking.

HookUp

WKR
My spouse works as a Nurse Practitioner and she sees Big Pharma push against any kind of legalized marijuana for pain management. It's natural, effective and cheap and most of all a threat to their pill popping industry.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My spouse works as a Nurse Practitioner and she sees Big Pharma push against any kind of legalized marijuana for pain management. It's natural, effective and cheap and most of all a threat to their pill popping industry.

Of course they are it puts a halt on their world domination of the pain management. Big phama can kick rocks they are now one of the leading contributors to the death rate in America. Much rather see folks doing something natural to control pain then their crap any day. How many pot overdoses and death have been recorded? Big phat 0.

Rmauch20

WKR
In my small corner of Kansas prescription pills, alcohol, and meth are the main causes of social and legal issues. Weed is just a nonissue. If you get busted with personal issue amounts I would guess your odds are about 50/50 getting arrested vs the officer ditching it and sending you on your way.

I don't know Joe Rogan and I don't know anything about his show, his hunting, his personal beliefs or his support for cannabis use. I'll give him 100% freedom to express his views on both topics...hunting and cannabis. If there's anything in this that is a concern for me it would be the potential for the non-hunting and non-substance-using public to make the link between hunter and drug user...to use the vernacular. I'm one of those guys who loses no sleep thinking my neighbor is rolling one to enjoy in the sanctity of his own home. I enjoy a couple fingers of good bourbon on occasion. I have never smoked anything even once simply because inhaled smoke is one of the pukiest things in the world to me...tobacco, cannabis or whatever. I don't work to outlaw cigars though...I stay away from their users when using.

I do believe there are a lot of hunters in this world who do not want a (controversial?) celebrity somehow painting a picture of them as supporters or users of currently illegal mind-altering substances in association with hunting. Some day cannabis use may be legalized everywhere and gain greater cultural acceptance, if grudging. I'd like to see that happen BEFORE we publicly advocate for hunting and illegal substance use...which cannabis still remains in an overwhelming majority of states. I would not be at all comfortable watching a YouTube video (say with a young hunter) in which the hunters are using ANY illegal substances in the course of their overall adventure.

I used to icefish heavily on the Great Lakes and I knew a couple of guys who were friends. One was a prominent outdoor writer. The other was a scion of the owner of a gigantic athletic shoe and apparel company. Both these guys were fun-loving and serious fishermen, but I noticed they refused to fish near other groups and typically seemed to always set up downwind of the action area. Of course they were smoking cannabis and I knew it. I smelled it a few times when the wind shifted. These guys behaved like they were minor-league outlaws and were always acting a little suspect. I told one of them I'd respect them more if they just said "Hey...we're gonna roll a couple while fishing this evening. We'll be downwind so nobody is offended. We're not trying to hide from you guys".

I go both ways on the overall legalization issue. It really does come down to a clash of cultures politically. I see good reasons for legalization and I see unintended consequences from doing it. Of note...Just one year ago 8 members of the same family were murdered in one short period of time in 4 different locations just a few miles apart. This happened in Ohio, in the county next to mine. These people were all deliberately and decisively shot in a planned execution attack. They were of all ages and both sexes. One was a high school teenager. One was a new mother to a months-old infant. Most of them had multiple gunshot wounds and I believe all but one had a final shot in the brain as insurance. Investigators found a serious mj grow operation associated with this family and obviously believe the killings are linked to that operation. You can opinionate on whether legalization would have made a difference...no proof. You can easily understand why a majority of residents want NOTHING to do with the propagation of mj and see it as the domain of those who bring crime and a disregard for the law.

One final reminder: I'm not blindly anti-cannabis at all. I'm more like cautiously about individual use on private property and places which don't subject others to it. Tough subject.

Good, thoughtful post. I see you edited it at 4:20, alrighhhhht.

I do not have any issue with people trying to make a link between hunters and cannabis users any more than I do between hunters and beer drinkers.

IdahoElk

WKR
Between Alcohol and drugs I've seen so many lives and families wrecked I won't touch any of it. I'll probably get blasted but Weed while seemingly harmless can be a gateway drug for many to go down that road of no return,so many lives wasted,sad.
For chronic pain management or dealing with a terminal disease I think it's a great alternative to prescription drugs.
For recreation, when I want to escape reality I grab my bow,gun or fishing rod and head out instead.

Good, thoughtful post. I see you edited it at 4:20, alrighhhhht.

I do not have any issue with people trying to make a link between hunters and cannabis users any more than I do between hunters and beer drinkers.

My edit was done to define the timing of the described murders, and made no changes to the basic message.

I don't have a problem with the public understanding hunters may engage in the legal use of beer or other alcohol, just as a pilot or surgeon might at the end of the day. I do have a problem with a celebrity who (perhaps inadvertently) ties together the two activities of hunting and illegal substance use in the minds of those watching him. As said before I'm not strictly opposed to mj use but we (this country) are still a good long ways from overall cultural acceptance of legal cannabis. I don't think it benefits us in any way to have a hunting spokesperson advocating for illegal substances. Legal...no problem.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Between Alcohol and drugs I've seen so many lives and families wrecked I won't touch any of it. I'll probably get blasted but Weed while seemingly harmless can be a gateway drug for many to go down that road of no return,so many lives wasted,sad.
For chronic pain management or dealing with a terminal disease I think it's a great alternative to prescription drugs.
For recreation, when I want to escape reality I grab my bow,gun or fishing rod and head out instead.
Marijuana is only a gateway drug because it's illegal. Now I haven't touched weed for 5 or 6 years, no interest in using it recreationally anymore (I appreciate a nice whiskey, rum or glass of wine to relax these days).
But in my college days I used it a fair bit. It was only because I had to buy it illegally that I was exposed to other drugs. The worst I was offered was lsd. But contrary to popular belief there is nothing in Marijuana that makes you want to go to anything else so I politely declined and can honestly say I've never had an urge to do anything else. That's even when in a group of 5 guys I was the only one not tripping on acid.
If it was legal it's highly likely myself and my mates would have never seen anything like that.

I grew up in a real conservative family where alcohol was good and drugs were bad. I mean weed kills your brain cells and makes you a scumbag right? It was 18 years of this until I realised that I was misinformed by people that had no idea what they were talking about and based their opinions on flawed studies and social dogma.

The biggest challenge I've seen is that even when faced with hard facts, people that have held a belief for years, decades in some instances can't let go of it even if they probably know it's not as bad as they thought. My uncle Springs to mind as a dyed in the wool prohibitionist that refuses to acknowledge any benefit because he was taught it was bad and that's how it's staying (as he drinks another beer).

Everything should be done in moderation, for Pete's sake I think it's like 9,000 deaths a year are attributed to caffeine from memory! Cigarettes kill 1,000,000 people around the world every year. Weed doesn't make you dumb, it's never killed anyone, what it does is it makes you think and the government's traditional haven't wanted that.

I have always had trouble sleeping, and have recently considered taking it up again on occasion to help me get a decent sleep once every now and then so I can remember what it feels like to wakeup refreshed. Interestingly, a conservative friend of mine said to me when I mentioned it "don't use drugs man, go to the doctor and get some sleep tablets". I'll leave it at that.