Joe Rogan and Pot

My edit was done to define the timing of the described murders, and made no changes to the basic message.

I don't have a problem with the public understanding hunters may engage in the legal use of beer or other alcohol, just as a pilot or surgeon might at the end of the day. I do have a problem with a celebrity who (perhaps inadvertently) ties together the two activities of hunting and illegal substance use in the minds of those watching him. As said before I'm not strictly opposed to mj use but we (this country) are still a good long ways from overall cultural acceptance of legal cannabis. I don't think it benefits us in any way to have a hunting spokesperson advocating for illegal substances. Legal...no problem.
Recreational use is legal in 8 states and DC and medical use is legal in an additional 21 states. I seems like with every election year more and more states are either legalizing for medicinal purposes or fully legalizing altogether, and it's my opinion that eventually majority will have to rule, and the federal government will have to cave on it's whole stance regarding marijuana prohibition.

My main point here is, Rogan did not necessarily tie the use of an illegal substance and hunting together, it depends on where you live as to whether or not mj is legal.

Last edited:
Recreational use is legal in 8 states and DC and medical use is legal in an additional 21 states. I seems like with every election year more and more states are either legalizing for medicinal purposes or fully legalizing altogether, and it's my opinion that eventually majority will have to rule, and the federal government will have to cave on it's whole stance regarding marijuana prohibition.

My main point here is, Rogan did not necessarily tie the use of an illegal substance and hunting together, it depends on where you live as to whether or not mj is legal.

I agree in principle. Conversely 42 states outlaw mj for rec use and that's the primary tie-in or association for hunting...rec use. I don't have a solid clue where legalization is headed, but I'm not confident it will be legal in all 50 states in my lifetime. If rec use is legal in a given state and hunters want to associate its use with their hunting, that's definitely their call and their right. It's Rogan's right to vocalize his support for marijuana and for hunting...absolutely. I simply don't think we as hunters should be willing to connect our legal hunting activities to overt illegal recreational cannabis use in those 42 states. The perception might not be entirely accurate, but for a lot of voters perception is reality.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Joe is a fun listen but weed is his blind spot. He loves it so much he can't be reasonable about it. There are harmful side effects to using it, that's just a fact but he acts like it a vitamin.

On hunting he is a very good advocate although just recently he ranted against hunting big cats and Africa safari animals. He was essentially saying if you don't eat it, you shouldn't hunt it. Which leaves me wondering what we will do with coyotes and wolves...

I don't believe that weed is a gateway drug anymore than alcohol is. In my younger years I was exposed to plenty of alcohol and drugs. I knew a lot of people that smoked but never tried other drugs. I also knew a lot of people that first experimented with drugs while drunk, or only did drugs or even smoked cigs while drinking. I think that if a person will escalate their drug use is more a character issue than anything. In my experience the temptation to try other drugs is also influenced by the fact weed is illegal and is purchased from street dealers. I have been party to buying weed and on most occasions the dealer will offer any drugs they are holding. You will not walk into a legal weed shop and be offered meth, crack, or opium.

For those that will vote against the legalization of marijuana, would you also vote against the legality of alcohol if it showed up on a ballot?

dotman

WKR
I don't believe that weed is a gateway drug anymore than alcohol is. In my younger years I was exposed to plenty of alcohol and drugs. I knew a lot of people that smoked but never tried other drugs. I also knew a lot of people that first experimented with drugs while drunk, or only did drugs or even smoked cigs while drinking. I think that if a person will escalate their drug use is more a character issue than anything. In my experience the temptation to try other drugs is also influenced by the fact weed is illegal and is purchased from street dealers. I have been party to buying weed and on most occasions the dealer will offer any drugs they are holding. You will not walk into a legal weed shop and be offered meth, crack, or opium.

For those that will vote against the legalization of marijuana, would you also vote against the legality of alcohol if it showed up on a ballot?

I agree, I've probably smoked weed less then a handful of times but drank way too much alcohol many times. In my experience alcohol is much worse when abused and if you are against weed you really should be against alcohol. Growing up I believed it a horrible drug and that it was a gateway drug but kind of like gear reviews from an isle in REI, experience revealed something a tad different.

I would vote to legalize it here in KS if it ever came up but doubt many that know little about it other then assumptions and what has been told would. I do believe like anything if over used it can't be good but I do wonder what's worse, over using alcohol or weed.

At times I wonder when I hear or read people say weed is a gateway drug if they have ever actually tried it and have experience with it or are just going off what some told them that someone told that person or what the anti drug literature has been trying to scare teens and parents with. I knew a top engineer here in KC, very highly respected, he smoked it daily and never drank. Now I'm sure someone would think less of him for doing that instead of having a whiskey a night.

Last edited:
I agree, I've probably smoked weed less then a handful of times but drank way too much alcohol many times. In my experience alcohol is much worse when abused and if you are against weed you really should be against alcohol.

I smoked briefly, got a job out of high school that subjected me to random tests and have not done it since. In those times I was high I never did anything but chill out. In many a drunk nights I have done stuff I am not proud of. If I had a choice based on my experiences I would much rather the two drugs were reversed.

dotman

WKR
I smoked briefly, got a job out of high school that subjected me to random tests and have not done it since. In those times I was high I never did anything but chill out. In many a drunk nights I have done stuff I am not proud of. If I had a choice based on my experiences I would much rather the two drugs were reversed.

Exactly, I didn't smoke it once in high school but was drunk every weekend during the summer, I look back and am surprised I didn't die or kill someone. Now I hear kids are sniffing bath salts and taking hardcore drugs, weed and alcohol are barely an issue compared to the crap kids do today. Personally I would rather my kids smoke weed then drink alcohol.

Exactly, I didn't smoke it once in high school but was drunk every weekend during the summer, I look back and am surprised I didn't die or kill someone.

In relation to my actions I am surprised as well. Woke up many mornings wondering what the hell happened, where I was and how I got there. That never happened while high.

I find the resistance to weed interesting considering so many people against it have no real experience with it. They only know the anti marijuana propaganda. In my experience weed does not ruin lives. I know a lot of great people that smoke. Anti marijuana laws ruin lives.

I find it just as offensive to the hunting lifestyle when I see trophy pics with a can of Budweiser.

In relation to my actions I am surprised as well. Woke up many mornings wondering what the hell happened, where I was and how I got there. That never happened while high.

I find the resistance to weed interesting considering so many people against it have no real experience with it. They only know the anti marijuana propaganda. In my experience weed does not ruin lives. I know a lot of great people that smoke. Anti marijuana laws ruin lives.

I find it just as offensive to the hunting lifestyle when I see trophy pics with a can of Budweiser.

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I agree with you so much so that, not only in hunting photos but in any photo or situation, I find that a can of Budweiser is quite offensive. And appalling!! Did I mention how appalling Budweiser is? Sorry, not making fun of you, just trying to make light of the whole thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most ridiculous threads get the most attention...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How is this thread ridiculous? It started with a major advocate of hunting and his relation to recreational marijuana use. The thread has continued along the lines of said use and its perception.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is this thread ridiculous? It started with a major advocate of hunting and his relation to recreational marijuana use. The thread has continued along the lines of said use and its perception.
I didn't say it went off track. It's ridiculous that what some podcast host, who happens to hunt, does in his free time is a subject for controversy on a hunting forum. Just my opinion.

Reactions: lif
I didn't say it went off track. It's ridiculous that what some podcast host, who happens to hunt, does in his free time is a subject for controversy on a hunting forum. Just my opinion.

I see what you are saying. Honestly though, I would rather discuss this than what color goes with multicam or what caliber is best.

Kilboars

WKR

Our government also created the lottery also and look which demographic that targets. I wouldn't necessarily imply that the government is looking out for our best interest. They're just looking out for their jobs and more government so if another generation becomes a bunch of stoners they'll blame that on something else and rave about all the tax revenues they get from the little bastards.

Kilboars

WKR
Getting back to Joe I think he's got anger issues and being an atheist doesn't help. Also think he's a bit of an opportunist but I guess that's just business.
Very very smart guy but I can't listen to his podcast and his foul mouth except when he interviews with John Dudley. I notice he doesn't drop too many F bombs with John.

Billinsd

WKR
Getting back to Joe I think he's got anger issues and being an atheist doesn't help. Also think he's a bit of an opportunist but I guess that's just business.
Very very smart guy but I can't listen to his podcast and his foul mouth except when he interviews with John Dudley. I notice he doesn't drop too many F bombs with John.
Pothead, foul mouth, anger issues? Sounds like a great role model to me. It's not my business if adults smoke pot a little or in excess, are alcoholics, womanizers, and/or have a lot of issues, it's their life, but role models? I think o'l Ted, womanizer, provacatour, broke the barriers on our spokesmen going off the rails. I guess morality and common decenty aren't too important if at all anymore. I never would have belived I'd be reading this on a hardcore hunting site 5 years ago. Remember when us hunters, consetvative, Republican, gun enthusiasts held the high ground? Not so much any more. The times sure have changed. Bummer!!!

Last edited: