How many have got someone into hunting?

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Specially someone who didn't grow up doing it? The reason I ask is because had it not been for my uncle in another state, I would have never gone hunting, learned about cattle, become an ag major..... You get the point.

Anyways hearing about people who want to learn always hits a soft spot for me. I usually try to teach people about it and take them to shoot a hog or ducks.

Then there's people like my brother who sees what I do, wants to go along 100 percent, and now is applying with me to do an elk hunt this fall.

Oh and BTW he recently just acquired residency in Alberta, so I don't think this will be mine and his last hunting trip lol

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was one that got introduced to hunting. I'm working on my kids and a co-worker

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, if it weren't for my step-dad I would never have gotten into it because nobody else in the family hunts.

Later I wanted to give back to hunting a little and started teaching hunters safety and taking friends of family bird hunting. I thought it was cool, but still mostly only hit those few kids that are already interested. My buddy and I brainstormed and came up with a way to get other kids to try some stuff they may not otherwise have an opportunity to try. We are now on our 4th Annual Youth Outdoor Day that we work with the local sportsman's clubs to put the event together, and have been steadily growing with the attendees since it's free to kids and parents. Started with just 80 kids and grew to around 180 kids last year. There's Archery, trap shooting, air rifles with interactive targets, fishing, tractor ride, pheasant hands on, and other stuff to get them hooked. Now the kids are seeking out club members to take them and finding creative ways to get out and try things because they had an opportunity to try it for free and had a blast. Parents are just as guilty, especially the moms that weren't comfortable in he outdoors. It's awesome being able to connect so many people with a hunting mentor by just putting on a single event!

My son and Neice are 13 and 14, along with my daughter and other niece at 10, so I usually have a full load now and unable to mentor others, but I know that will change in the near coming years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
My next door neighbor in my dorm in college got me into it. First pheasant hunting, then waterfowl, then deer. I have now started elk hunting. I have tried to get my brother into it, and he likes to waterfowl hunt with us. I took him on his first whitetail hunt two years ago, where he took his first buck. But he is in the Navy and is usually on a boat during hunting season. A few others I have taken it hasn't really stuck with them...maybe I'm doing it wrong.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My stepdad's family were pioneers on the Colorado prairie. No one hunted big game but the neighbors let you shoot coyotes. They introduced me to more of a country lifestyle. Met my future inlaws right out of highschool who hunted for deer and elk. Then the guy who married my sister in-law turned me on to backpack hunting.

FreeRange

WKR
I take at least 1 new guy a year hunting every year, usually their first year just waterfowl or upland and then deer hunting their second year. The past 3 years have got 4 guys their first deer, taking them along definitely is a sacrifice of my own hunting time and opportunity but it's truly a special gift to share with someone. I grew up not knowing a single person who hunted and got myself into it in college. I realize it's an especially high barrier of entry to get into hunting when you know very little about it, always happy to help new guys navigate the process to get started.

I have gotten 3 guys into archery hunting over the last 6 years or so. All have become successful getting some kills on North ID whitetail and or CA blacktail.

Last edited:

7mag.

WKR
About 6 years ago I took my 40 year old buddy hunting for the first time. Now he's my primary hunting partner, and backpack hunting partner. He bought his first rifle, first muzzle loader, and just bought his first bow. He calls me all the time wanting to go shooting.

It can be hard to find a good hunting partner so sometimes you have to build one.

It can be hard to find a good hunting partner so sometimes you have to build one.

One of the truest statements ever.... my best hunting buddies (besides family) have been ones I've introduced. Great friends turn into great hunting partners...

elkduds

WKR
I took my nephew on bird hunts, then he graduated to elk and deer w me. Mentoring him was much more rewarding than going by myself.

CorbLand

WKR
A family friend got my family into hunting. My dad passed away leaving my mom with a 12,10 and 4 year old. That fall that family friend called my mom and said he wanted to take my oldest brother bear hunting with him and it was over from there.

My friend grew up doing some hunting here and there but played sports that took up most of his time during hunting season. Last year 2016, I convinced his wife to buy him a bow and I would take him deer hunting that year. We both got deer. He didn't apply for a tag this year so we will see if he goes again. He said he may do the elk tag but we will see what happens.

I got my start in hunting when I was 18 years old, a guy my mom dated at the time put my brother and I through hunters safety and off we went! My dad hated hunting and my mom didn't know much about it either. Both grandparents were die hard hunters but one was too old to want to go out and the other one didn't care to get close too close to his grandkids. I am very glad I got hooked into this sport. Now that I met my husband who is a hunter himself, I've learned tons more and we love helping others out.

The last two years we both have really focused on the long range shooting discipline and we keep improving a lot. So we both really like to take friends and family out and let them give shooting a try anywhere between 500-1,000 yards. I don't think in a lifetime you can fully ever master a hobby or craft. There's always something to learn and improve on and I like to be open minded with everything. One of our co-workers bought his first long range setup and I can't wait to watch him grow and learn to become a better shooter.

On another note, a good friend of ours that we met at a local gun club has hunted elk in the past years ago and never had much luck. So he asked if sometime during gun season if he could tag along. So we took him out and helped him harvest his first bull, he was so happy! I felt blessed to help him achieve a lifelong goal and hope he comes along this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I've been lucky enough to get several friends into big game hunting. Last year I took a friend out on his first big game hunt and got him on a cow elk. We were hunting antelope on the deer/elk opener and we were just in the right place at the right time. There were about 25 cows and one small 5 point all bunched up in a little wad. They'd been run out of the timber a couple miles away. I was watching the bull for a couple minutes waiting for him to shoot. It was killing me, the anticipation. Finally he shot and I heard the bullet hit, but the bull showed no reaction. The elk were all bunched up and he decided to shoot a cow at the other side of the herd that he had a clear shot at. Nailed her in the lungs and down she went. I was more excited than if I'd shot her.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I got my brother-in-law into it. He's not obsessed with it like I am, but he likes to be out in the woods. He has probably only shot 30-40 rounds through his rifle, but he has smoked three bucks.

HZJ73

FNG
Everyone on this board has collectively gotten at least one person into hunting.... me.

Growing up in Missouri I thought hunting was only sitting in a tree stand/blind waiting for baited game to come into range.

Once I discovered that to not be the case I quickly found myself lurking these forums and I feel like I've swallowed a red pill and my eyes are open to an awesome new world.

Oh, and I've never shot a rifle either.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I have gotten my kids, and wife into hunting as well as some extended family. My families success at harvesting animals has pushed a few friends to take up big game hunting again. I myself was introduced in Jr. High by my best friend at the time, my dad was a hunter, but gave it up after Vietnam.

elkyinzer

WKR
I've gotten two of my closest friends into it as young adults.

First, we fish together all the time, he was a very casual rifle hunter growing up. I could tell he was pretty curious about bowhunting so I gave him an old bow, got him into archery and taught him the ropes of bowhunting, and he's fully hooked now.

Another is a college friend of mine, real city boy. He was purely interested in the meat. I took him out rifle hunting last year and he whacked a doe, we butchered it. He was tickled by the whole process but it was all pretty easy. He hasn't really seen all the work that goes into hunting. I think he's interested in continuing to rifle hunt and we are going to work this year to get him gear, but I just don't see him becoming hooked to the same degree.