Decoys for Archery Antelope hunts

Kilboars

WKR
Are they useful and who uses them?

Ive gotten on a lease this year in Montana's unit 590 with hopefully an elk, Antelope and mule deer tag in my pocket.

I have an Elk decoy and was wondering about using an antelope decoy in this year. Ive never hunted Antelope before and the Montana area is very open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had mixed results with trying to decoy antelope. I have both the decoy hat and a Montana decoy pop up. Sometimes antelope will be curious and come in other times they run quickly the other way. I've still never been able to draw them to around 40 yards which is my comfort zone, but they will come to about 80 ish. One I'd like to try next is the cow since where I go there's tons of moos hanging around

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Thank you Missjordan.

My thought is to really just have something to hide behind on long stalks. A cow decoy sounds interesting as well.
I own the elk arse end decoy. Maybe that would work as well.

Jens

FNG
The antelope decoy is a blast when it works. It's tough to manage the decoy and get a shot off if you are solo, especially in the wind. There seems to be a couple day period during the rut where it's amazing. If I had to put a number on it I would say it's worked less than 10 percent of setups. I have a buddy that shot one early season with one due to the curiosity as well. Good luck.

As mentioned above timing is everything. I say this and mean timing in two different ways. One is when during the season to use them and then when during the stalk to use them. I have found that early season (August in Wyoming) using a decoy allows you to close the distance and they are curious about who is coming through the area Especially young bucks. I have killed two bucks this way. Later on specifically during the rut it has more to do with getting in close and then showing the decoy so that the herd buck reacts to it. This is tough to do solo but I have found that moving close to the herd and then showing the decoy when the herd buck is chasing another buck off or when the does are restless is the best way to get them to come to you. I have had the best luck early in the morning when it seems that the lessor bucks are cruising to be the most effective. I have killed three bucks this way and all were within 35 yards. They come in fast so be ready. the buck will usually flare the white hairs on rump and have his hackles raised just before he stops and postures (If he slows). It maybe coincidence but each one that I killed came in perpendicular to the head of the decoy. Mine is a montana decoy and I think I will try the heads up or poison arrow or the be the decoy this season as it is very tough to get the decoy right and get drawn when they are out there a ways.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
It's the most fun hunting I've done. We always use 2 people. One to operate the decoy and one to shoot the bow. I've killed 3 this way on 3 attempts and have been the decoy operator on 3 others. The problem is the rut is about the same time as elk. Just find a buck thats keeping his does in a small group and chasing other bucks off, sneak in as close as you can ( we always tried around 100 yards.) Pop the decoy up and get ready. The operator will tell you what side the buck is coming in on and when to draw. They always seem to stop around 30 yards. If you screw it up just move on to the next one. We had our best luck between the 5th -20th of September.