How much Vacation time do you get?

Paradactal

Lil-Rokslider
I get 120 hours a year plus 9 sick days. The way my schedule is, I can use my 120 hours and it ends up being 5 weeks since I work 12hr shifts. I work 3 days one week, then 4 days the next week. 2 days vacation gets me 7 off if I plan it right.

TEmbry

WKR
I get three weeks a year paid. I work a 10 on 4 off schedule (May transition to 9/5 this year), So I usually build smaller trips around that. They are pretty lenient with non paid time though. This year I have 42 days afield in the fall, plus 10-15 days bear hunting this spring without using leave. I just work a bunch of OT in the off seasons to compensate the light checks during hunting season.

I have to work 7 days (12 hour shifts), in a two week pay period, but it's self scheduling so I'm able to choose my 7 days. 204 hours of paid vacation, 102 hours paid sick leave, and 10 paid holidays per year. ICU nurse.
I currently have a little over 500 hours in the bank....which, now that I think about it, I need to take a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Being self employed, I get zero days off paid. It's a matter of how much I can afford to lose. When I am gone hunting, the guys keep working and it pays the bills but not like when I am there.
That said, it's worth every penny. I typically take 10-12 weeks in the fall plus some time in the spring for shed hunting.

clip

FNG
Small business owner so it costs me money when I'm gone.
51 days logged in 2016 for hunting/fishing.
Work hard to play hard.

I've owned my business for 35 years so it's a bit different but my response is "as much as my wife says I can afford" I don't directly get paid when i'm not working a 12 hour work day is not unusual but neither is a 3 hour work day.

CorbLand

WKR
Currently an hourly employee so I get as much as I can afford to take. Generally took about 7 days off total during the archery deer hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I work in a school so summers off, 20
Days in the winter plus all the spring break and holiday stuff.

We recently moved to rural Alaska ina. Village where subsistence hubting and fishing is the thing, it's a great place to be for hunting. Not so great if you're into the night life lol.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I get 6 months out of the year off, 28 days at a time. It's a rotating schedule so I don't get to pick my days off....either way, it's sweet and I've been completely ruined for real life. Been at it for just over 3 years, making lots of memories. I wish I could do it forever.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
0 days off or 365 days off depends on how you look at it, stay at home daddy for a 4 and 6 year old. I did start drawing Social Security this year so I dont have to beg my wife for my $10 a week allowance. I occasionally disappear for a couple days to hunt, I tell her I went for a walk and got lost.

KJH

WKR
5 weeks of PTO. 11 holidays. I use it all for hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling. Never used a sick day...

I'm a partner in the company, and this is what we give all employees so I take the same as everyone else.

Stwrt9

WKR
120 PTO hours a year, 1 day for your birthday, 6 Holiday's, 1 sick day a month capped accrual at 30 days. Lucky for me I manage a family business and my schedule is really flexible which allows for lots of time in the field hunting. While i would give up hunting whitetails to hunt western big game in a heartbeat it does have it's advantages as i usually try and hunt just about everyday of the season. I can hunt after work for a couple hours and at times before work it all depends but i spend way too much time in the field if you ask my wife. i logged around right around 75 days in the field this past fall which included CO elk, Archery Deer, Bear, Rifle Deer, Late Season Archery Deer. I would love to hunt more but it's tough with young kids and a wife.

270 hours (5.2 weeks) PTO per year plus a maximum 150 hours (4 weeks) Flex/Comp time and 11 Holidays. IT Manager, State Government (28+ years w/ Company)). I usually take 3 straight weeks plus a week here and there during hunting season, 1-2+ weeks for family, and several 3-5 day weekends for hunts/fishing/adventures with friends/family.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Middle school teacher here, so I have a lot of time off in the summers. I get 10 days a year and can carry as many other as I want. Right now I have 25 saved. Seems like a lot but it is tough to get away from schools. Good subs are hard to find and it is a lot of work to get away. I usually use my time to make a lots of 3 and 4 day weekends. I have never taken more than 4 days off in a row

Same here with teaching and getting time. I'd trade all some for some time off in the fall.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I get 12 weeks off, but that was negotiated in my contract when I hired on. I also work anywhere from 60-70 hrs a week, so if you look at the other associates that work 40 hr weeks with 8 weeks vacation I get screwed. lol I also have to use some of those days for Continuing Education.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
I've had 1 week off paid vacation in my life, never any sick days paid off. As a self-employed contractor like others, I try and schedule smaller jobs, and a lighter schedule when fall rolls around, a man is only given so many days on this earth, got to make the best of them.
Mike

swmoelk

FNG
Operating engineer.

No paid vacation. I just plan the trip and tell the contractor I'm leaving. You either have a job when you get home or call the hall and get on the out of work list.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
I manage an Intermodal rail yard.

With 12 years in I have 4 weeks paid vacation. Will go up to 5 weeks if I make it to 20 years.

Also, whenever one of the other two managers goes on vacation I also work a 10 on 4 off schedule, which is kind if like a mini vacation.