How much Vacation time do you get?

Union electrician.

0 paid holidays 0 pto.

However...... I hunt at least 6 weeks a year plus weekends and evenings. I hunt more than anyone I have ever worked with or personally know.

I live within my means and have one hell of a retirement fund coming my way in 7 more years. THAT is when I get paid every day to do whatever the hell I want.

Hunt and live everyday like it's your last.

Retterath

WKR
I work for a utility company as a lineman and also natural gas construction.
With 7years in I get 4 weeks off 9 paid holidays and unlimited sick leave.

I also own a electrical contracting business and don't get any pto. LOL
This is my extra money for my hunting addiction

I'll bite on this, too...

I run a small design company, which means I get absolutely 0 paid vacation days. My boss would never allow that. :)

My wife and I really value travel, and we take many trips a year. With the kids getting into school, it's going to be a bit more difficult, but still plenty of opportunities. Florida and Colorado are repeats per year, and we mix in regional trips to anywhere with hills and rocks, plus a big trip out West in the summer.

Believe me, when you're a native of the West, but live in Indiana, you do whatever you can to get out!

jmez

WKR
2 weeks paid. After that I have no set number of days. I can take as many or few as I want.

Equine veterinarian. I structured my contract so I'm paid on commission. Fall and winter are slower so I get away quite a bit during hunting season if I choose.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Deputy Sheriff, I get 200 hours of vacation a year and 96 hours of sick time a year. I work 10 hour shifts so I work 16 days a month. Pretty easy to take 2-3 weeks of for a western hunting trip and still have lots of time for other vacations during the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am an Emergency nurse. I work PRN so I don't get vacation time, but I make my own schedule and don't have to worry about getting approval for time off.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
4 weeks is the standard over here.
Half to my wife, half to hunting. I spread it over weekends and public holidays so it goes further.

Hunt most weekends too, mind you a don't spend time or money on pubs, sport or anything like that. I'm either with my wife or I'm hunting.

Bobbyboe

WKR
I'm a state employee with 6 years served. I currently get 144 hours of vacation, 36 hour of personal holiday, 96 hours of legal holiday and 120 of sick leave.

Time off isn't the problem, it's balancing family time and hunting time that is.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Civil Engineer (10 years exp.) and I get 160 hrs PTO per year, 8 paid holidays, and 6 sick days...currently working on a major tunnel project and earning 60 hrs of comp time per month in addition to PTO. By sept, I'll have 360+ hours of banked time to use which will give me plenty of time to hunt this year. Hoping I draw a NM Mule deer tag to go along with OTC CO elk tag.

fishslap

WKR
I get 20hrs a month for 240hrs a year, which is the max I can carry over. We get 16hrs/months upon hire, 18hrs after 7 years, 20hrs after 12 years. I've been with the company for 13.5 years. I can use vacation hours in 4hr blocks since I'm salary. Hourly employees can use it in 1hr increments. We're all required to get 40hrs/week between billable time, vacation and sick. Vacation is used for holidays also. 5 sick days per year. Unused sick time each year rolls over into an extended illness bank for short term disability type use. We can also earn extra vacation by completing company technical qualifications on our own time or industry recognized certifications. I was also given three weeks extra vacation last year for stepping into a critical project role and setting aside my day job. I use around 3 weeks a year for hunting. Executive Director of Global Operations for a large technical services provider servicing the pharmaceutical industry as well as data centers and other building commissioning services. 14 years ago I was a Navy nuclear mechanic/engineering lab tech on a fast attack submarine (special ops boat deploying SEALS).

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
O&G Project/Program Management - 7 years in October with same parent company so that helps.
176 hours per year and a floating holiday.
That's time off for vacation, sick leave, or otherwise.
If you stay healthy it works in your favor! :cool:

Craig4791

WKR
Project manager 10 years with the company. I get 5 weeks paid. Gotta wait 10 more years for another week now...

It's never enough 10-12 weeks would be ideal I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
consultant to the biopharma industry, almost 10 years. I get 28 days but it's all based on projects I'm working with. Typically no work gets done in Dec so all the year end deadlines get wrapped up in most of hunting season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tater

WKR
I switched jobs five months ago, and went from 6 weeks a year pto, to four. I get one "personal health" day per month, but cannot accrue flex time.
Bonus is i gain one week pto per year over next four years to cap at eight.

I get 8 weeks of vacation, 144 hours of sick time and comp time earned every year. I'm lucky.....

robtattoo

WKR
Roughly three days a year less than The Wife tells me I'm allowed. I generally manage to slope off for 4 weeks total, but they have to be kinda spaced out. We run a boarding kennel & it's super seasonal.

Also, never, ever have your wife as your business partner.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I get 80 hours yearly right now, which equals 6 full days off, and a partial pay for the 7th. However I can trade shifts with others.

For example, I am using 3 vacation days for my Alasaka bear hunt, but will be off from May 17th-30th. After 5 years I'll get an additional 40 hours and can start doing some real fun hunts.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk