TV personalities poaching WY Elk.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
"Hey bubba, let's kill 'em in the draw unit, film it, say we had tags, and put it on TV, even the locals won't know the difference" hahahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
Well hells bells I was surprised when I read that, embarrassed to admit these guys are from my hometown! Don't know them personally but have heard of their show. This hasn't hit the news here locally yet, at least its the first I have heard of it.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how often this actually happens with those hunting shows based strictly around kill shots. This isn't the first case. I never got much out of them. The kill shots are great n all but it certainly leaves out every aspect of why most of us here do it. Then on the other hand you have shows that are extremely successful even when they don't kill animals i.e. Meateater bc they show that.

Everyone and their brother with a GoPro wants a tv show now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. Losing hunting rights for 15 years is completely going to kill their show. Looks like they took their website/facebook down.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. Losing hunting rights for 15 years is completely going to kill their show. Looks like they took their website/facebook down.

ya, that's gonna hurt. Finally an appropriate punishment.

Grumman, really? Prolly see them at the golf course now as hunting's out for a while.

charvey9

WKR
Hate to see that.

It sure is amazing what people can pick out of a video. It just goes to show that one man's middle of nowhere is someone else's backyard. Good on the viewer who identified the location. I hope they get rewarded with a tag or some points.

Gobbler36

WKR
Ha
Got what they deserved. This makes me despise hunting shows. I know there are good guys out there that are doing it but just the whole social media frenzy and shows dealing with hunting makes it start to lose its value to me. Only exception is meateater.

rodney482

WKR
I could seriously watch Steven hunt bullfrogs.. best hunting show on TV

I wonder how often this actually happens with those hunting shows based strictly around kill shots. This isn't the first case. I never got much out of them. The kill shots are great n all but it certainly leaves out every aspect of why most of us here do it. Then on the other hand you have shows that are extremely successful even when they don't kill animals i.e. Meateater bc they show that.

charvey9

WKR
Ha
Got what they deserved. This makes me despise hunting shows. I know there are good guys out there that are doing it but just the whole social media frenzy and shows dealing with hunting makes it start to lose its value to me. Only exception is meateater.

I love Steve and the Meateater show and podcast. Its really the only hunting TV/media I have absorbed in probably the last year and a half. I can appreciate the time and effort that get put into the other shows, but watching other people hunt just makes me stir crazy wishing I could be out there instead of on the couch. Even when it comes to Meateater the cooking shows are my favorite.

However, the interesting thing in regards to your post above is that if you read Steve's books and listen to the podcast he openly admits involvement in some minor wildlife discretions while growing up. The one that comes to mind is his father shooting "camp meat" each year for deer camp. In one of the recent podcasts another of the crew (I belive it was Janis?) admitted to shooting an animal on someone else tag growing up, which would be a major violation.

I'm not trying to discredit those guys at all, I have no doubt they are all on the straight and narrow. Just trying to add some perspective that even good people make bad choices from time to time, but that doesn't mean they won't figure it all out eventually and become good sportsmen.

I can only hope that others learn from the example of those caught in the OP, and it keeps someone else from making the same mistake.

It actually happens quite a bit here in Wyoming. Some don't go as public. There was a show a couple years ago that I noticed was killing multiple animals of the same species. Next thing I new I saw them in the paper for doing it. I won't name any other shows but I have personally experienced them acting inappropriately and unethical. I love meat eater, sheep shape and a couple others and that's it.

mjsekerak

FNG
I was involved in some filming of a show (quail hunting) years ago, all I can say is there are two things you don't want to be seen being made, TV and sausage. Glad they got caught and held accountable.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I love Steve and the Meateater show and podcast. Its really the only hunting TV/media I have absorbed in probably the last year and a half. I can appreciate the time and effort that get put into the other shows, but watching other people hunt just makes me stir crazy wishing I could be out there instead of on the couch. Even when it comes to Meateater the cooking shows are my favorite.

However, the interesting thing in regards to your post above is that if you read Steve's books and listen to the podcast he openly admits involvement in some minor wildlife discretions while growing up. The one that comes to mind is his father shooting "camp meat" each year for deer camp. In one of the recent podcasts another of the crew (I belive it was Janis?) admitted to shooting an animal on someone else tag growing up, which would be a major violation.

I'm not trying to discredit those guys at all, I have no doubt they are all on the straight and narrow. Just trying to add some perspective that even good people make bad choices from time to time, but that doesn't mean they won't figure it all out eventually and become good sportsmen.

I can only hope that others learn from the example of those caught in the OP, and it keeps someone else from making the same mistake.

Without hearing the podcast in its context I can't say for sure what and where things took place but I do know to date party hunting and cross tagging isn't illegal everywhere. Many eastern states allow it on whitetails.

As far as the camp meat discussion goes it's easy to cast stones. Looking back at my father s hunting camp from the 70's thisvwas a common practice. The culture and everything that revolves around hunting has changed dramatically since... I'm not advocating or defending but hunting deer was far different back then in terms of intentions. I do know I'd rather see an extra doe being shot and consumed in deer camp than a 190" poached and have the antlers cut off. Obviously both are illegal but I certainly can't blame a 12 year old stevevrinella for not calling out his dad in the late 70's for shooting a extra deer. I guess what I'm trying to get at is not every poaching crime falls into the same category as these dbags do from Kentucky. I have known a few families over the last 30 years that didn't eat if they didn't kill anyelope and deer all winter.

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR

Yeah I definitely agree that mistakes happen when your younger or maybe it was just something your father did and you followed cause you didn't know better. I am more referring to just these crazy asses that have a show and probably 100% knew what they were doing to just shoot a big animal. I found it really funny that the episode was called western redemption! Don't know why big that made me chuckle.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
My only intent comparing the two was the plot of kill shot tv shows vs the depth of content others like meateater show.

Going off of your comparison I will still say it's a stretch comparing the offenses at face value.

An offense done in the past out of nativity or ignorance is different than knowing darn well you're breaking the law and specifically to gain profit. Of course in my opinion....

Yes, breaking any game laws is bad news. It's still worth taking in to account how and why.

This is one of the lowest forms and the most damaging to our image.