shed hunting in an area you will be archery hunting

Retterath

WKR
Im planning on hunting a whole new area this year for archery mule deer and rifle if I draw the rifle tag. My question is I live in south Dakota and the deer don't travel a long ways in the winter to better ground. The place I will be hunting has a couple ranches around the area so when the winter was tough they were near the ranches feeding on bales and other things. I was thinking of going in there to look for sheds and get a better idea of the country I will be hunting. My question is should I be staying out of there for shed hunting and just scout the place in late summer or don't you think it will bother the deer from moving out of the area much? Its about a 7000 acre area I can hunt. What are your thoughts?

ElkNut1

WKR
You shouldn't have any issues with picking up sheds now or even the next month or so. Those local Deer will have forgotten completely about you traipsing around by Sept - Oct - Nov.

ElkNut1

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should have zero issues. The elk I chase in September drop depending on the winter right where I do 75% of my elk hunting..you will be fine good luck👍

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
In my area the Elk and Deer are in a totally different area between now and September.

These deer are usually in the area all year long, they don't migrate like the deer out west. At least from what I can see in south Dakota.

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
Yeah there's a lot of those too.

Any more suggestions? Does anyone else hunt areas like this where the deer spend mostly all year in the same area?