New rain gear

dayhunt85

FNG
I'm a Midwest flatlander heading to CO for an archery elk hunt this year. I do not have a good, lite package set of rain gear. I am looking for some feedback on value for price.

Most of my whitetail hunts dont happen in a downpour, I just call it, which I can't do on the mountain. My exsiting gortex is waterfowl gear which is not lite or package. I don't really want to buy the best on the market just to have it bc it will not get used nearly enough.

Sitka downpour ($$$)?
Kuiu Teton?
Others?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
FL also makes good rain gear. All three companies make quality rain gear and they all have a lightweight set and a heavier set of gear for very wet conditions or where more durability is needed. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I'm using Marmot Precip jacket and pants. Pretty lightweight, not super tough for busting brush but perfect for waiting out a shower. Found them pretty cheap on Sierra Trading Post.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I think the old Core 4 Element rain gear is the best I've found. 15oz for the medium jacket, brushed fleece lining makes it the quietest jacket out there, pit zips for moving. Core4Element was bought by Easton so they don't make the jackets anymore, but SYLO makes identical jackets now. I've actually got an extra SYLO Revel rain jacket in Mountain Mimickry that I'd sell because I prefer the Max-1 camo that matches my rain pants, wouldn't want to be mismatched for the deer:). PM if interested in a good deal on the SYLO.

-Tim

FL?

First lite.

It doesn't rain much where I elk hunt, but I take their Stormtight jacket. I don't just use it as a rain jacket, but wear it whenever I need the warmth. It's not the quietest, but it's a nice jacket. I don't take rain pants usually.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
As thecougar said most of the top manufacturers produce an excellent product. I think in many cases it just comes down to aesthetics. Personally I run Sitka cloudburst it has served me will so far.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Of these brands which is cut the largest for a bigger guy. I've tried Sitka stuff, but it is for thin people. In the same boat looking at options

ljalberta

WKR
I'm using Marmot Precip jacket and pants. Pretty lightweight, not super tough for busting brush but perfect for waiting out a shower. Found them pretty cheap on Sierra Trading Post.

I use the same. I haven't found anything to beat their value if you're in a dryer climate like myself. As bill said, they can often be found on sale.

Paradactal

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a set of SYLO Revel rain gear off Camofire and am pretty happy with it. Paid $200 for the set of Top and bottom. I did a lot of research and really had a hard time spending the coin on the gear I wanted. I ended up pulling the trigger on the SYLO and am extremely pleased with it. I dawned it in a downpour while pig hunting and it was nice and quiet, breathable, and kept me bone dry. Im 6'3 220lbs and a 2x fit me perfect over my chama hoody and XL pants did the trick over my Kanabs.

Products - Sylo

dotman

WKR
Look at the kryptek Poseidon, no it isn't the most breathable but it is light and durable and usually you can find a good sale price. Chances are you won't use the rain gear. I usually just get wet but end up drying out by days end as most rain storms are not an all day event.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said the brand's above are all good recomendations. I would recommend buying just a jacket and then a solid set of gaiters and skip the rain pants. Good luck this fall!!!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
I would be afraid for you to leave rain pants at home without knowing where you are going. The areas I elk hunt get rain every day and not just a little. Once you kind of decide what you need it just comes down to how much you want to spend. I bet that if you get nice stuff you will end up using it more than you expect.

Jacket: I havent really seen any that are bad. Lots of options from hiking companies out there. I have one from the north face that was $80 and its been totally abused for 7 years without a rip yet. Pit zips are a nice feature and fit is important so you can shoot your bow. Kuiu chugach would be my first choice if my jacket falls apart.

Pants: Get something with full zips so you can put them on quickly and easily. Otherwise you end up packing around the pants and letting your legs get soaked because they are a hassle to put on. First lite pants are really tight around the ankle which can lead to them pulling up above your boot. I havent had the chugach pants very long but i like them a lot so far. You have time to watch for sales and get a set for cheap.

OP
D

dayhunt85

FNG
I'm going to be btw Grand Junction and Eagle at about 9000'. I got an invite from some locals and this will be my first mountain hunt. I am working up a list of questions when I call him next, and how much rain to expect is on that list. I had planned on pants because I figured it would be miserable to be soaked. Unless I just put on a jacket and hunkered down until it stopped, I figured they would be necessary to keep the hunt going.

That brings up another question. Many have mentioned what I would consider hiking brands like North Face, Columbia, and Marmont none of which come in camo patterns that I can find. Are you guys just throwing a solid black rain jacket and pants on and continuing the hunt?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry about color or pattern as long as it's not neon.

I'll second the get full leg zip pants recommendation.

Felix40

WKR
Obviously having camo is nice but I dont think its that big of a deal. If you want to cut cost you can get stuff with nice features that is solid color or you can get stuff that is camo but may be heavier/warmer/less features. Its just a trade off that is personal preference. For me its nice to know that my jacket has been all over the country with my life depending on it in some situations and never failed. Its only drawback is that its solid black. That hasnt been enough of an issue to make me replace it yet. I killed a buck at 50 yards this year in november during a rainstorm with it on.

Good news is there are lots of options so you can pretty much get whatever you want.

I could be wrong but I doubt you will see a ton of rain there at those elevations

Last edited: