Bringing home meat on a plane

Derek0525

WKR
Looking into doing a Pig hunt in Texas and am debating on flying or driving I have only flown once and it wasnt for hunting. So those of you that have flown some place to hunt how much meat can be brought back on a plane and what is the cost on average? Im planning on shooting as many pigs as i can. There will be 3 of us going and we all plan on getting as much meat as possible. If driving i have access to a couple yeti 120 coolers I would be driving from oregon with 3 people would try to do the drive non stop.

Several problems I found about flying instead of driving:
1- Prices airlines charge for baggage now. Mostly charged by weight, and meat weighs a lot.
2- Rifles might not arrive when you do (if at all). Baggage handlers are prone to be "less than delicate" with baggage- even worse with rifle cases.
3- You have to get to the airport too early to get through all of the Security, etc and sitting around in an airport waiting for your flight to start loading drives me crazy. I keep thinking "if I was driving, I could be there by now".

If you can borrow a rifle, and ship your meat home, that would take a lot of the pain out of flying. BUT you asked about flying with the meat, and again, the airlines are charging more and more for checked baggage, especially if it exceeds the 50 pound limit.

If you fly, you will have to think about transportation from the Airport, but a rental vehicle's cost split between the three of you won't be too bad.

Last edited:
If I had three people I would be driving it nonstop. Its probably cheaper to get there but you'll use another day of vacation. The stress of an airport isn't worth it IMHO.

Find some Bang or Spiked energy drinks or even pre workout and drive non stop. How far is the drive?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
Its all really very easy to fly with your guns/bows and bring back meat. Guns are super easy. I'm sure there are plenty of threads about flying with guns, so I'll address the meat portion only. It will only be stressful if you let it, and don't do your homework. You will pay extra fees for more bags or overweight bags, but you're paying for convenience.

I've flown with meat many times (deer, caribou, hogs, fish, etc.) . Here is my suggestion:

Before you leave check with your airline and see what their regulations are for excess and oversized baggage. Make sure you know what they are going to require or expect from you. Plan to comply in every way. Plan to combine baggage with your buddies to reduce the fees.

Next once you are there, purchase some coolers from Walmart or other store you can find... The med/lrg $40 chest types are usually pretty cheap and work well. Once you kill and butcher, get the meat frozen if at all possible. Fill up the coolers with the frozen meat (well chilled at a minimum if its a short travel time). Make sure all the meat is sealed in a heavy duty garbage bag (or two) inside the cooler. Make sure you don't exceed the weight limits. DO NOT ADD ICE (Sealed freezer packs are fine). Close the coolers and wrap with duct tape (lots) all the way around it, so it cannot come open with pressure changes in the air. Label it very well with your name, phone number and "date packed".

When you get to the airport to check in, tell them you need some "perishable" labels. They all have them, but might have to look for them since its not an everyday item. If they look at you stupid, as for someone else who is more experienced. Explain you have meat (I don't mention wild game), and that its frozen, sealed, and sealed again. They really prefer you don't use dry ice, since it makes more labeling issues for them and since you don't have vented coolers. Once they add the checked baggage labels and the perishable labels, fly home as you would on any other flight. Pick them up at the baggage claim. It will still be 98% frozen,and ready for processing.

Easy as heck. The time it takes to drive isn't worth it at all IMO. Flying is so much easier that the headache of trying to drive.

Here's an example for American Airlines... You can check up to 10 total bags per person. 50lb limit per bag unless you fly first class (then 70lbs). Coolers are considered regular baggage and not "specialty or sports"). They will accept up to 100 lbs with a big $200 fee. Its cheaper to do multiple 49.9lb coolers.

Looking into doing a Pig hunt in Texas and am debating on flying or driving I have only flown once and it wasnt for hunting. So those of you that have flown some place to hunt how much meat can be brought back on a plane and what is the cost on average? Im planning on shooting as many pigs as i can. There will be 3 of us going and we all plan on getting as much meat as possible. If driving i have access to a couple yeti 120 coolers I would be driving from oregon with 3 people would try to do the drive non stop.

here is what i do, just keep in mind it will cost no matter what.

freeze the meat solid and keep on ice till you leave for the airport

anything over 50lbs be prepared to pay around 200$ extra bucks for the cooler...you cant fly with anything over 100lbs so weigh your stuff before you get to the airport or be prepared for a scramble

if you have more questions let me know

coolers make great travel boxes to pack excess clothes and gear...most airlines couldnt care less about the size

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
Find some Bang or Spiked energy drinks or even pre workout and drive non stop. How far is the drive?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Its right about 2300 miles. Going by google maps it says it should take 1 day 9hrs to get there and the hunt is 3 days 2 nights pretty much all you can shoot. The price for the hunts are $400 a person and I can make it a little over 500 miles on a tank of diesel so im figuring about $800 - $900 there and back on fuel split 3 ways.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
How much money do you want to spend?

I usually fly Delta and for 100 lbs/2 x 50lb bags, which of course includes the luggage its self, you are looking at $60 each way. If you add a 3rd 50lb bag it is another $150.

Even crappy coolers weigh 10 lbs....

fly first class...that way they dont care how much your meat weighs. I did that with a buddy once. He swore up and down he only flys first class cause the meat flys for free. I thought he was full of it. Nope... they just put a sticker on it that said heavy, didnt charge us a penny extra. Funny part is if we hadnt we would have spent more money in coach then first class. We also just put all out gear in a freight box and shipped it to our houses, only about $100.

i see youre in springfield. if you guys aren't dead set on texas for a pig hunt, california could be something to consider as well, some great pig hunting and would obviously be a much easier drive

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
We looked at California and for one pig and the price for a hunt and lincense it was around $800 a person pretty close to the same price of driving to Texas but in texas we would be able to get more pigs. Not planning on going on this hunt for about another year or so.

We looked at California and for one pig and the price for a hunt and lincense it was around $800 a person pretty close to the same price of driving to Texas but in texas we would be able to get more pigs. Not planning on going on this hunt for about another year or so.

fair enough, california can be stupid expensive sometimes!

jmez

WKR
Another way to free up space and extra baggage charges would be to take all your gear and clothes and UPS them home after the hunt. Then the only luggage you would have would be the gun cases plus meat.

charvey9

WKR
Best way to maximize your meat haul for air travel is freeze it before hand and then pack it in a rubbermaid container for the flight home. You will pay oversize/overweight fees, and depending on the airline max weight is between 75 and 100lbs. I've flown this way with a bear and a goat before in late August, and meat was still frozen when I got home. Usually the maximum number of checked bags per person is limited to 3, so you have to pack smart.

Alternatively, soft sided coolers like the Yeti hopper are getting more popular for air travel. I'm looking closely at purchasing a few Icemule coolers for my next trip.

However, with 3 guys to drive it might be more economical and be able to bring home more meat comfortably than flying.

Beendare

WKR
50# in your daypack carryon is do-able...and worth the puzzled look on the TSA Xray operators face when he scans your bag and its just a big black hole....

Sgmachine

FNG
I second Beendare. I fly a lot.
I've personally hauled a decent sized backpack completely full of meat as a carry on. I got the idea from another guy, he needed help getting his bag in the overheads!
Since then I've done it and shown others how to do it too. Just make sure it doesn't leak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
50# in your daypack carryon is do-able...and worth the puzzled look on the TSA Xray operators face when he scans your bag and its just a big black hole....

I second Beendare. I fly a lot.
I've personally hauled a decent sized backpack completely full of meat as a carry on. I got the idea from another guy, he needed help getting his bag in the overheads!
Since then I've done it and shown others how to do it too. Just make sure it doesn't leak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely! I've flown home from Alaska 2 different times with skinned out ducks, a separate time with 9 skinned ducks and whole frozen artic fox in my carryon and yet another time with about 40lbs of frozen salmon, ling cod and halibut filets. On those trips I've taken gear and boots I don't plan on needing for awhile and shipping home via USPS Parcel Post. Takes about 6 weeks, but it is only 25ish dollars....if you do this method make sure you put clean stuff in there ... don't ask how I know.