Accessibility of Idaho Units via Dirts Roads, September thru Mid October

Alright, frequent reader, first time poster, so go easy. I've been doing a lot of research for my first trip into Idaho this year. All previous experience has been south western MT. (I'm going to give a lot more specificity than most would, but I don't care.) My buddy and I are planning an on-foot backpack hunt. Given the newness of the terrain and other factors, we were planning a rifle mule deer hunt. So far, our top pick is to try and enter the central portions of Unit 27 via dirt trail roads through unit 36/unit 27 that go north off of Ponderosa-Pine Scenic Byway. I've read mixed reviews of trying to get into parts of Unit 27 on foot in later November seasons, but we were hoping to go in earlier to minimize transportation risk. Last year if I'm correct they opened up this unit to rifle into September even. We've also read mixed reviews of this habitat for later season hunts, but again, we were hoping to go earlier. Another option we were considering was Unit 15/19...we're still open to suggestions in general.

Is this transportation plan of reasonable risk level as far as being able to get to our planned hunt location, i.e. are these dirt raods generally passable by SUV/Truck, and if so through what dates does this start to get more risky of getting stuck in the backcountry due to snowfall? I'm planning on calling the local Fish and Game office to get their take, but wanted some hunter input. We're coming from pretty darn far away and showing up to find out our Plan A is hosed would lose us a day or two and would stink.

I can answer more questions/give more detail as needed but this post is already too long...

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say that GENERALLY you would be okay but man, you just can't predict the weather in those units. As you most likely know, it could be warm or it could be snowing. I would recommend just keeping an eye on the weather and if is looking bad, beat feet. Can get real nasty in a hurry.

Randy

SWOHTR

WKR
I had a road get bad on me last year, mostly due to logging traffic on the wet roads. I don't think you can really plan for this (some timber companies can tell you where they will be operating). At a minimum, get good tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Hunted an area where a guy saw me driving past a point called "high dive" and he kinda waived me down and said" uh no one usually drives past this point, there's been years I be seen 14 ft drifts up here and people have to leave their trucks till spring" recently moved to Idaho from the southeast so I heeded his advice and turned around parked and hoofed it from there.

You cant predict any of it. Generally early snows will melt off. A buddy was scouting in 27 last year in Aug. It snowed a foot on them but was gone in a couple days. I would throw in some chains, but really, its just part of it.

OP
stafford8788
Thanks guys. Have given us some things to consider, and definitely at the least have added a couple pieces of equipment to the truck list. Kind of confirmed my suspicions. I'll let ya know how it goes.